Game & Map Screenshots 6

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Jan 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caitlin

Caitlin \(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Nanakai Fan I think that the black is interesting, but it does confuse the player.  You could try another shade of black for the outside of the walls.

This is my screenshot, mixing my Corpse Party like graphics with an idea that I got from Sweet Home.  I am trying to make it seem like the walls are closing in on you, without necessarily being smaller. 

[​IMG]

2. Nanaki_Fan

Nanaki_Fan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yeah I see what you two mean. In the previous maps for the tower it wasnt a problem as I used all the space and the black edging was just for contrast but with that map I am not using all the space so its noticeable. 

So how about this instead:

[​IMG]

GRIMMJOW and Bukarett like this.
  3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Nanaki Fan

Better, but that tile would not be my choice, I don't think it goes well with the wall.  If you're using the default tiles, go to dungeon A4 and there is a ceiling tile similar in style to the wall tile.  It's to the right of the pale yellow brick.  Tint it a bit so that it's not the original pale grey and I think it would be better.

4. SquallStorm

SquallStorm Resident Persona 5 Hyper Veteran

First Language:
    English
    First time messing with the Hanzo cliff tiles, but holy bajeezus they look sexy.  Any critiques would be much appreciated.

[​IMG]

5. Gui

Gui Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    @SquallStorm

At the moment, it looks rather empty and uniform to me: the bushes and the soil paths all look the same and the other elements are too much scarce to really play a role IMO – add more of them here and there, and different ones too such as trees but also other types of little rocks and flowers.

Begin working on the peripheral zones as soon as possible also, to get a better overall look of your work.

6. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @SquallStorm

One thing to watch out for with those tiles is the depth of the underwater illusion.  You can see the problem in the centre.  As far as I can make out, the cliffs go down one tile.  The rock pillar also goes down one tile, so should be on the bottom.  However, it looks like you've put it on an underwater ledge/plateau/something which presumably should also have depth.  In which case, you've got a mismatch.

The other thing is that with curved cliffs you must remember to put the little corner piece (tiny section at the corner of a grass tile - you should have all 4 together somewhere on that tile set) in on every tile.  To see what I mean, start at the steps and go right one tile.  You will see a little v-shape where 2 cliff tiles join.  That is what I mean.  There are 4 missing between the steps and the tree.

7. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @QuietDreams - Overall, I like the layout of the map, it's nice. But it's very bare. Add more stuff in and it will be great.

@Pikachu - It's nice but I think the words/dragon get lost on that background. You need to vary colors up somewhere.

@Matseb - From what I can tell, it's not bad, but it's so darn dark, it's hard to tell much.

@Indrah - I love those tiles! Honestly, I think it looks okay as is. Something about the style makes it look fine with less, in my opinion anyway.

@Nanaki_Fan - I think it looks fine, though I do agree with ksjp about the ceiling tile.  

@Caitlin - Not bad, though I do wonder how much of the room the player will actually be able to walk over with all the holes. From what I can see, not much. One little thing, the desk in the lower right looks odd just suspended over the crack like that.

@SquallStorm - Not a bad start. What's going on with the ground by the cave entrance though?

EternalShadow likes this.
  8. Nanaki_Fan

First Language:
    English
    Ok I reworked the Cell wall top.

Cell map:

[​IMG]
    Also been working on a cave system under the cell area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
    wynautastronaut and Raider like this.
  9. SquallStorm

First Language:
    English
    @Gui:  Thank you. I ended up falling asleep shortly after this map, so those tips will be duly noted.

@ksjp:  Ah, right, I forgot about the stupid ledge and the corner tiles.  Thanks!

@mlogan:  You know, that's a good question.  I'm not sure what's up with that.  o_O

Edit:

Is this any better?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2015
    Bukarett likes this.
  10. Nanaki_Fan

First Language:
    English
    Looks better in my opinion. still could do with a little more clutter but a vast improvement.

ps: what tileset is that?

11. SquallStorm

First Language:
    English
    I'm trying to keep it as sensibly cluttered as possible.  Needless clutter distracts me...  And it's the Valkyrie Stories tileset by Hanzo Kimura.

12. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think it looks a lot better SquallStorm. Keeping in mind that you will be adding animals, enemies, chests, whatever... I think it might be cluttered enough.

SquallStorm likes this.
  13. Nanaki_Fan

First Language:
    English
    I can understand this. Needless clutter for the sake of cluttering can make things look.....odd. I like how you are restraining yourself to just place stuff but a couple of little details such as shadows would really work wonders.

ps I have never heard of that resource. Would you mind sending me a pm with a link to look at?

14. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @SquallStorm:

I'll add that the part on the right of the entrance (as viewed from the front) has a problem with height.
    The entrance is two tiles high, but this right part is also 2 tiles while looking lower because of the enclosing.
    Also, the top-right cliff is 2 tiles + 1 tile high, which makes it higher than possible in this configuration. And it misses a round corner.

About the underwater rock pillar: if this is the lowest part of the map (looks like it considering your character isn't centered on screen) you can hide that cut pillar base by moving the pillar 1 tile down.

15. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @SquallStorm

There is a general slight proportion issue with that tileset, illustrated by your pink flowered plant.  If you compare it to everything else, it is as tall as the tree and taller than what is otherwise a significantly large cliff.  It's something to watch out for, because it can look a bit odd/ridiculous.  What you might consider doing is using GIMP or similar to reduce it by at least 25%.  Check out all his plants/flowers for that.  Of course, it might not bother you - it obviously didn't bother him! 

16. SquallStorm

First Language:
    English
    S#it I didn't notice that.  Thanks everyone for your advice!   :)  Also @ ksjp:  My game's world is full of genetically modified plants.  So, for this particular game, it fits, but for others I may use this, I'll keep these in mind.   :D

17. Chaos Avian

Chaos Avian Abyssal Wing Restaff

First Language:
    English
    @SquallStorm: I'd try adding a tree or two with some rocks, flowers, etc as well since it looks a tad sparse. I can't help but laugh since it's strikingly similar to a map I made for Ruby Chronicles a few years back! xD

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2015
  18. SquallStorm

First Language:
    English
    Chaos, 

Would you believe me if I said Ruby Chronicles literally inspired me to make a modern styled RPG Maker game?  I'm still dying for you to update that again.  Q_Q  But yeah, your mapping really inspired me too, so, that'd explain a few things, but this is just a test map not gonna be in the final game.  I'm just recreating what I remember.

Chaos Avian likes this.
  19. SpiralSigil

SpiralSigil Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Squallstorm Looks really nice!  Loving the atmosphere (Though I may just be eye-drooling over the pretty cliff tileset and wondering where I can get that o_O)

@Nanaki Really liking the look of your prison there; it actually looks like a jail area ^_^  I do have to ask though; what the heck is in the top-right cell?  Fungus?  Gravel?  I'm not sure...

----

Since it's payday, and I had a TEENSY bit of free-cash..  I decided to invest in something I think will be really, REALLY useful; the Medieval Tileset for Ace!  I absolutely LOVE the look of the buildings in it, and wanted to redo my capital city with them.  Honestly, the mapping for it was going...  Well, really good before,but I'm re-mapping it screen-by-screen anyway, just to see if I like it better.  Now, I feel it conveys the capital city of the world a bit better, but you be the judge.

Left: Old, RTP-version

Right: New version

[​IMG]

Naturally, it's not done yet, as I still need to add more NPCs and effects and the like, but for the time being I'm focusing on remapping the 6 maps that were mostly finished before with the new style.  At least this way it looks like the city could hold more then 14 people >.>;

20. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @SpiralSigil

One thing to remember with that tile set is that these buildings are on tabs B-E, not A.  Therefore the walls and roofs will not throw shadows, you will have to put them in yourself, either using the shadow pen in the menu bar, or making your own and adding them to your tile set.

Edit

If you want to see what I mean, you could have a look at the map and screen shot in this thread.  I'm not using the presets, but have turned everything into 'ordinary' tiles, so things won't looks the same as yours, but you can see the difference the shadows make.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.