Game & Map Screenshots 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Oh, I did have to read it a bit, but I think I get it.

lol

The column of stone in the upper right is a three tile high wall. The path is on ground level.

So the water starts three high. falls to two high. Many waterfalls split, though the 90 degree angle isn't anything but an RPG Maker limitation. And there is no way to show a side wall so there is no way to show the animation of the water falling, at least not easily, so I added fall and splash animations.

Let me know how I can improve, or if I completely missed on this. It is what I am trying to get right. =]

does it look better like this?

Last edited by a moderator:

KaYsEr

Koruldia
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Depending on the situation, Juna can look different in the game, here is a little montage with (almost ;p) every versions.

I don't need to tell you where comes the inspiration of the overworld version ;)
Well TBH it's both a tribute to FF6 and RPG MAKER 2000. (even though RM95 is important in my childhood, it's the 2k version that hooked me up)

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Deb, in my opinion, I think maybe a shape like this for the waterfall might work a bit better.

debmaphelp.png

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I agree, much better shape.  One other things occurs to me, though, looking at it.  The sideways waterfall begins 2 tiles wide, but the pool into which it falls is only one tile wide.  I'd make that 2 as well.

KanaX

Just being a mouse
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
The thing with the standard RM artwork is that it doesn't allow side view. Only top and front view.
It's almost impossible to draw a side ways water fall without making it look weird.

Mlogan gave you a  nice alternative. She game a bit of inclination to the top view to imitate a downward curve and then cut completely to the top of the waterfall. It looks better but it's still a bit off.

She calculated the height of the fall and drew the stream accordingly. But she didn't retain the 2-tile width of the stream (at this point, I realized ksjp17 raised the same point)

I took the liberty to give my own solution:

Besides the obvious, I  added some froth to the waterfall and a 2 pixel wide water stream (right next to the wall)
I also fixed the height problem on the waterfall to the far-right

You also might want to make the rest of the steam 2-tiles wide. The volume of the upper stream doesn't just disappear. Either that, or split it to two 1-tile wide streams.

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
These are fantastic suggestions and very valuable, detailed input! thank you all so much!

The one thing I am not "getting" is why the three tile high water isn't working for people.

I think I could add a three tile high wall on one side at the back, to create more of an expectation of differing heights.

Cannot wait to try all this, thank you everyone very much!

height.PNG

KanaX

Just being a mouse
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
@GrandmaDep, you COULD do the differing heights effect, but the execution is wrong. You have established in your map that the height difference between the top of the waterfall and the ground is 2 tiles. What you where trying to do is connect the top and the bottom with 3 tiles, which makes little sense. However, by lowering the ground floor by one tile at some point, could give you the effect you want, like so:

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I feel like I am crazy taking over this thread today, but honestly, if it is 3 tiles high at the back, it is three tile high in the front.That is why it steps down onto the top of the cave entrance area and then down again to drop to floor level. Some folks thought the drop seemed too awkward, and that is my fault.

There had previously been cliff edges between the levels, but I had input to get rid of them, and the animation covers them mostly anyways.

blue cave rework3.PNGheight numbers.PNG

But I think what we are seeing here is that as much as I would like to try a side falling waterfall, it is just not possible to have a clear execution, with my level of skill within the limits if the maker. At least not so close to everything else in this map.

Everyone has been so kind to do edits, maybe my original layout got a bit lost. =]

But first I want to try MLogan's idea, before I give up on my side waterfall idea. I do like these tiles.

KanaX

Just being a mouse
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
OOOOOOOH, the waterfall breaks in TWO points. I never considered that. Ok, that makes sense..

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, I think I sorted out the height issue. The problem is, the cave is only 2 tiles high. The waterfall that is three tiles high has a different base. So it makes the top of the cave and the far right waterfall look the same at the top. There should be something to indicate where the question mark is that the flow of water drops there. Wait, it would need to be after the cave. Or the base of that waterfall needs to be moved up.

debhelp2.png

So you're saying that the level labeled 2 is supposed to be lower than the level labeled 3? If so, the problem is that the cave entrance is the same height as the cliff to it, so it makes it all look one level. Do you have a link to the tiles you are using or is the side waterfall an edit you did? Maybe if I could show with the actual tiles how I see it, it would help.

Also, this pic is closest to how I can explain my original edit. The height of the waterfall would obscure some of the stuff behind it.

zoo79.jpg

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Something a bit different; not a map but a game menu. I was bored of the default Window Skin and the way my status screen was done, so I decided to change it doing two screens. Since in my game, there are a lot of statuses, I was pondering on how making a good concept. Finally the two different screens allowed me to do that. I want to precise that I created the scripts by myself once again, I didn't use any existing script to do so.

Indrah

Megane Berserker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
More experimentation! Three hours of mapping with Vexed's new Pop Horror set. I had no specific theme for anything so I kinda went on tangents and little else. 

Big pics ahead.

So...it's a school. No effects, sprites, little details, and the blood splatters are intermittent because I had no idea what the story of the place was. Also I forgot to map the basement (oops)
Exterior:

Interior F1:

(Foyer, storage+stairs to basement, teacher's lounge, cafeteria (+kitchen+freezer), science lab)

Interior F2:

(Two classrooms, stairs to rooftop, nurse office, library and headmaster's office (don't ask me why it's behind the library))

Indrah

Megane Berserker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I obviously don't know when to stop, so I spent 3 extra hours or so expanding the dayum place =_=

Big pics ahead:

Same school from before, renovated the interior. Removed all the blood and destroyed bits for now. It's expanded from 2 floors to 3+basement level, made more rooms etc.

F1-Storage, Store(+backroom),Cafeteria, Kitchen

F2-Library (+study room), Teacher Lounge, Infarmary, Science Lab

F3-Classroom, Visuals Room, Rooftop stairs, Computer Room, Reference Room, Headmaster's office, Old classroom

Basement-Storeroom, Freezer, Some kinda power place (?)

Annnd it's 5 am. Dengit. Off I go to crash, now with a fully mapped school I am quite proud of...but have no use for. God dammit Indrah OTL

reaver

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Indrah

Wow, i guess that was a LOT of work! And everything is so nicely done.

Vexed

Malibu Darby
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Feedback welcome, and hoping somebody recognises what TV show this setting is from!
Oh nice! Veronica Mars, right? You've got the details spot on. Love all the edits and original tiles you've added, they look really great :D

Also, your comment made my day!

@Indrah - wow, looking great. It's awesome to see people using those tiles in ways I never even thought of. Shame you don't have a use for the school, but still, it looks awesome.

@Sanguine - Looks cool. I really like the idea of having a chapel like that by a stream. I'd maybe add a little more blue to your screentint just to make it a little more night-time-like if that's what you're going for, or just lighten it up a bit if it's daytime/sunset? Also, with the chapel tower, the right hand lower support beam has a section missing. The shadows are looking pretty inconsistent too, cause you have both soft and harsh shadows and they seem to be placed quite randomly. Either could work, I just think you need to pick one or the other and make it consistent throughout.

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
So...it's a school. No effects, sprites, little details, and the blood splatters are intermittent because I had no idea what the story of the place was. Also I forgot to map the basement (oops)

Interior F1:

(Foyer, storage+stairs to basement, teacher's lounge, cafeteria (+kitchen+freezer), science lab)
Well, first of all, after I wipe the slight appearance of drool from looking at all these maps...

I LOVE 'em! I'm tempted to just use all of them as templates or something, and pay you later. =]

I was wondering about that upper left room - those are the stairs behind the boxes? Really nice look. And good use of space.

/me goes back to drooling

I made a small chapel nested within a forest. :)
I like these. Very pleasant appearance. I have three comments.

I wonder if they are so full they will be hard to navigate in-game.

I wonder if the fog is a bit too yellow.

and I notice that the chapel must be very slender. The elevations behind the chapel are so close.

Really nice.

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@Morlockhater:

Wow, that is awsome! I love Veronica Mars and I love this resource pack. Great combination. You inspired me to make the Camelot Motel in that fashion :D

morlockhater

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Candacis

I'm planning on making my own aswell! All for a bit of a fangame project  :D

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys! First time posting a map on here so really good to hear such nice things!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Have fun with English: a "fire grenade" is not portable napalm but a fire extinguisher tool.
2 days ago someone tried to convert me to Islam. Today youtube tried to convert me to Catholicism. The only thing left would be to meet sone Jehova's witnesses.
I just successfully tested changing music by region, and changing it between continents on the world map after getting on/off the airship. I had to override the default audio transitions with eventing to make it change smoothly but it worked.
Stream will be going live shortly with some more Witcher 3, then we will switch to another game! Feel free to drop by~
Finally scripting out the story after WAYYYYY too long of having 0 idea of how to approach said scripting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmeeDucks