Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Anorak : Nice map, but something troubles me; If that is snow, why is there none on the borders of the roofs ?

CM Games

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
How can I improve my maps guys? anyone? Other question..sorry this is dumb, I'm new here..where can I post my game content here? I can't see a 'New Post'. Thanks.

help me improve my mapping..

Thanks for the help! CM

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@CM Games

Have a look at the section of the forum called 'Projects' then pick either 'Early Project Feedback' or 'Project Development' depending on how developed your game currently is.  Read the rules for posting in either of these carefully, because if you don't include what's needed the thread might not be approved.  Create your thread, post and wait for the mods to approve it.  It can take 2-3 days sometimes if the mods are super-busy, so don't worry if it doesn't appear immediately.

For your maps:

Your shadows all have a very hard outline.  That would be unlikely in daylight and near impossible at night time.  Blurring them would be better.  It's not clear what your light source is on the statue.  I think there are some errors with your roof outlines.  Take the inn as an example.  Because the top edge stops before the ridge of the front-facing roof, it looks like it doesn't go any further back than the middle of the house, in which case I would have expected that section to jut forward of the rest of the building - but it doesn't, so the house looks like it's paper thin.  The same issue with the house on the right, but it's slightly less obvious because this time it does go as far back as the ridge.  I would suggest bringing that section of the buildings forward and extending your pitched roof back and behind the ridge of the flat roof.

Last edited by a moderator:

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@CM Games, really nice maps, though, the shaddows do need some adjustment.  Kudos.

Mini fix for the map:

Στιγμιότυπο οθόνης (61).png

muramasa

Abomination of life, or life itself.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
@AceOfAces_Mod: That castle-kind of thing at the center looks gorgeous. It's the first thing that gets my attention. Other than that, houses are pretty too, but I wonder what is going to be used for that extra space around every house. NPCs, I presume? There is quite some emptiness right now.

@CM Games: Same for you about the empty space. Adding some extra details would improve the town. I like the light effects.

@Anorak: I have something against the shape of certain autotiles, or how difficult is to make them feel natural. Also these trees are pretty small compared to the character, and the car. And one of them seems to be over the other, I don't think trees grow like that.

@morlockhater: I can't say anything other than... Please teach me the ways of mapping sensei! ( · A ·)!

Here is a thing. I'm remaking the battlebacks. Wish me luck, please ;A; (though I haven't made a lot so this is the proper time to give a duck about that :^D).

Salut.

rondchild

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
@marlock : uh gorgeous map and nice tileset =3=b

@CM games : I think your map is ok, i feel horror game in your maps.

@AOA : The castle look cool !

I think need more variation object, such as river, fountain or something.

@Muramasa : Your battle back look amazing, i like sprite too !

Anyway i make my own battle back too.

CM Games

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
@CM Games

Have a look at the section of the forum called 'Projects' then pick either 'Early Project Feedback' or 'Project Development' depending on how developed your game currently is.  Read the rules for posting in either of these carefully, because if you don't include what's needed the thread might not be approved.  Create your thread, post and wait for the mods to approve it.  It can take 2-3 days sometimes if the mods are super-busy, so don't worry if it doesn't appear immediately.

For your maps:

Your shadows all have a very hard outline.  That would be unlikely in daylight and near impossible at night time.  Blurring them would be better.  It's not clear what your light source is on the statue.  I think there are some errors with your roof outlines.  Take the inn as an example.  Because the top edge stops before the ridge of the front-facing roof, it looks like it doesn't go any further back than the middle of the house, in which case I would have expected that section to jut forward of the rest of the building - but it doesn't, so the house looks like it's paper thin.  The same issue with the house on the right, but it's slightly less obvious because this time it does go as far back as the ridge.  I would suggest bringing that section of the buildings forward and extending your pitched roof back and behind the ridge of the flat roof.
Thank you so much for your reply sir..glad I read this. Noted all your advice. Can you pls. give me tips on how to improve my lightnings? I really don't have ideas about proper lightning. Again thank you so much! CM

@CM Games, really nice maps, though, the shaddows do need some adjustment.  Kudos.

Mini fix for the map:

Στιγμιότυπο οθόνης (61).png
thanks! can you elaborate more? how can I actually improve the shadows? thanks. CM 

@CM Games: Same for you about the empty space. Adding some extra details would improve the town. I like the light effects.

Salut.
thank you! I'm confuse..someone say my lightning sucks..and other says its good. btw about the details..the map is not yet finish. I'll add details once I improve lightnings.

@CM games : I think your map is ok, i feel horror game in your maps.
Thanks! It's not entirely a horror game  :p

Thanks guys. I'll take your advises and work on my mapping. Salamat! CM 

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Very nice mapping, I found two strange things though :

In the first screen, the ladder at the right, that is partly in front of the window, does not touche the ground. Is it intended ? (A bit like some fire exits)

In the second screen, the left side of the left stand overlaps the three barrels.

Apart from that, that's really beautiful, I like the rays of sunlight that illuminate the scene.

Hollow

(◡‿◡✿)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@CM Games: The lighting is alright--it sets the mood, certainly. However, from a player perspective, I would hate to be on that map. I mean, it literally took me ten minutes to even notice that there's a sprite. It's nearly impossible to see the character, and it'd be difficult to play/explore the map itself. :/
@muramasa: That battleback turned out great! The style is very charming. Though I think the grass and dirt could use some texture.
@rondchild: Wow, your battleback looks awesome, too! The only thing I'd suggest--and this isn't really about the battleback--would be to add some shadows beneath the battlers themselves. It'd make them look like they're actually standing in the environment, rather than being superimposed on top of it.
@Sanguine: These maps are absolutely stunning. In addition to what Schlangan said, I don't think roses would be growing behind that ladder in the first map, so I think it'd be best to have the vine only partially cover the window or remove it altogether. And in the second map, I think bringing the stairs out by another half a tile would improve the map's depth a great deal. :)

These are screens that I've meant to post here (I've already shown these maps in the May and June progress threads) but kept forgetting. :(

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Hollow : Very nice maps too. But, in the first screen, what about the shadow on the stairs created by the ledge ? It looks like too strong and linear, compared to the other shadows; it looks like it has been directly cut. The other shadows seem somewhat slightly blurred, while the ones on the stairs are not.

Hollow

(◡‿◡✿)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I agree about the edge, but I've yet to find an alternative that smooths it without looking silly and/or not matching the appearance of the other shadows. :( Do you have any suggestions?

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I guess you should do the same than with tree; I tried it with a little bit of copy/paste on paint, to show you, on the top shadow (I left the bottom one intact to show the difference).

If you use tiles to do the maps, just create new tiles made specific for the purpose of that shadow.

Hollow

(◡‿◡✿)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You know, that just gave me an idea! I have another curved shadow for the backside of cliffs, and I simply realigned that and voila:

How does that look?

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Indeed that's better like that :)

We don't have the "cut" impression we had before ^^

Zerphoon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Hollow: what game is that? I'd totally want to play it looks really nice!

morlockhater

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Another Veronica Mars parallax map! The exterior of Sunset Cliffs Apartments, Veronica's home in the series. Feedback more than welcome!

This one has taken the longest so far, but managed to find the real world location on google maps which helped enormously. Fun Fact; the tv series, actually used two shooting locations for the apartment complex, so different episodes show the building with slightly different setup, notably a roof on which the Veronica and her Dad have a barbeque in the pilot. I tried to do my best to incorporate elements of both these settings and create a hybrid of the two. Veronica's apartment is the middle one on the balcony level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Can't wait for the next Sonichu
Birdhouses are usually made of wood. Birds typically live in trees. Trees are wood. Birdhouses are made of birdhouses.
He just discovered cellphones...

(I don't know why am I drawing so much these days...)
In medieval times, a common way to eat food was upon edible plates, which were made of bread, called trenchers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnamano