[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ygAf4U5.png[/IMG]

Ace VII

Genius but Strict
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Japanese
Primarily Uses
[IMG]http://orig06.deviantart.net/43c9/f/2016/097/7/9/shot1_by_kervinlee-d9y4sqb.png[/IMG]

just practicing my overlay mapping skills :/

You can watch it in action here:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ellie Jane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like that. It reminds me a lot of the first part of Final Fantasy VII, when you're walking through Sector 1 to the reactor.

This screenshot is unfortunately just a mockup, but it shows some of the concepts that'll go into creating your character.

irlKtz0.png

Edit: already colected the typo.

Iliketea

Tea lover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
I currently am working on a forest, this is the first part of it.

Because the forest is "beginning" at the bottom there are not so many trees.

I wanted the forest ground to be a bit more realistic, so there is a lot of dirt and fallen leaves. Is it ok like it is or is it too much?

(very big Pic)

ntCgx5o.jpg

Ellie Jane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That is very nice! I love how you've done the ground. I have a lot to learn there. It's very natural and realistic.

gRaViJa

Eniko Ghosts of Grace Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looks good Amy, there is a spelling mistake though -> 'colect'

Pyromantic

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I swear I'm not dead I've just been buried in schoolwork. Anyway, since I finally had a free day on my hands I managed to put this together:Untitled.png

I know it's not perfect - I haven't done any of that wall trimming around the edge of the map, and I just realized that the light shafts are at two different angles... but yeah.

RocketKnight

Broke with expansive taste
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Pyromantic Amazing enviroment! Good luck with your project

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So here's the layout for the second town in my game.

R7pc7Cx.png

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@tuomo
Going to be painfully honest here, that village map lacks the feel... hmm... not sure what is the word to use here. It just doesn't feel natural at all. Feels VERY blocky.

• First of all, the roads. Your roads are way too zig-zag-y. If they are dirt paths, then fair enough. A village's dirt path probably won't be too orderly. Such nicely paved road doesn't really suit anything other than an established town imo. 
  • The inconsistency when it comes to the wall height (refer to the top left hand building) and the window placement in general kinda send chills down my spine 
  • I assume that is a church or some sort of building that deals with magic in the middle. It is ...a block...? Fair enough if you want it that way but the path around the back is just....
  • There's no road leading out of the village? Seems pretty unlikely considering the size, but if that's the way the story goes, I guess I can't criticize that.
  • Assuming that it is a village in the middle of a forest, but it is very lacking when it comes to things like grass and objects that you would find in a village in the middle of a forest (i.e. fallen leaves, twigs, grass, flowers, etc)
  • That incredibly odd shadow for the building to the top left. Fine if you want to use the default shadow for the building, but why is there a gap between the top and the bottom shadow.

Overall, it doesn't seem like you put too much thought into it. Sorry.

Just wanted to emphasize this point: The things I pointed out are the things that raised a red flag when I (speaking for myself only) look at a map. 

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@tuomo
Going to be painfully honest here, that village map lacks the feel... hmm... not sure what is the word to use here. It just doesn't feel natural at all. Feels VERY blocky.

• First of all, the roads. Your roads are way too zig-zag-y. If they are dirt paths, then fair enough. A village's dirt path probably won't be too orderly. Such nicely paved road doesn't really suit anything other than an established town imo. 
  • The inconsistency when it comes to the wall height (refer to the top left hand building) and the window placement in general kinda send chills down my spine 
  • I assume that is a church or some sort of building that deals with magic in the middle. It is ...a block...? Fair enough if you want it that way but the path around the back is just....
  • There's no road leading out of the village? Seems pretty unlikely considering the size, but if that's the way the story goes, I guess I can't criticize that.
  • Assuming that it is a village in the middle of a forest, but it is very lacking when it comes to things like grass and objects that you would find in a village in the middle of a forest (i.e. fallen leaves, twigs, grass, flowers, etc)
  • That incredibly odd shadow for the building to the top left. Fine if you want to use the default shadow for the building, but why is there a gap between the top and the bottom shadow.

Overall, it doesn't seem like you put too much thought into it. Sorry.

Just wanted to emphasize this point: The things I pointed out are the things that raised a red flag when I (speaking for myself only) look at a map. 

I don't use default shadow, it doesn't show up in the game the editor shows that anyway. I don't know what you mean about window placement.

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Assuming that you're still using those tall doors, I put together something real quick

prk4Iw3.jpg

Left is your hospital (disregard the different tile used.. I forgot to use the one you used)

Right is what I think is a better placement for the windows.

Your other windows are way too small (imo) when compared to the wall size

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Assuming that you're still using those tall doors, I put together something real quick

prk4Iw3.jpg

Left is your hospital (disregard the different tile used.. I forgot to use the one you used)

Right is what I think is a better placement for the windows.

Your other windows are way too small (imo) when compared to the wall size

The grid won't let me put it like that, moving them left or right would make them go off borders.  I also checked and there were not any better stone roofs that would fit my church, all of it was just square.

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ever explore different option such as changing building style or editing the tileset?

Such as:

NTHkWug.jpg

At least these ones are proportional when it comes to the gap between the ground/window and window/roof. Not saying that it is the "right" way to do it or the "only" way to do it, but it is certainly (imo) a better way to place the windows.

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ever explore different option such as changing building style or editing the tileset?

Such as:

NTHkWug.jpg

At least these ones are proportional when it comes to the gap between the ground/window and window/roof. Not saying that it is the "right" way to do it or the "only" way to do it, but it is certainly (imo) a better way to place the windows.

Yes. I haven't ventured that far into it since the graphics are placeholders and I'll most likely replace the tilesets anyway. :p

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I agree with Sinweaver, that the placement of the windows could use some work. I'm also missing some decorative clutter, like barrels, vases and stuff like that. If you are unhappy with how you can place the windows, I would suggest arrenging the tileset new. I often delete the whole snow section of tileset B, so that I have more room to place the windows a bit better on the tileset, e.g. a window in the middle of 2 tiles instead in only 1 tile. You can do that in a graphic software like gimp or photoshop. Does wonders for the look of a village.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
2lddfk4.jpg

A house interior.

2mmy3aa.jpg

Another house interior.

22hjpj.jpg

A storage room.

sqnrxh.jpg

And lastly a mansion! While I like my mansion layout, I feel like it's too... fancy. Why? Because this is supposed to be in a small town, and part of me thinks it would be more befitting a noble's house in a big city.

Iliketea

Tea lover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
@Little Adventurer

I think the rooms themself  look fine but you should use the ceiling tile to Surround the room just one tile thick, not fill out all other empty tiles with it.

As for the mansion, you could try to make all rooms a bit smaller, and use a different floor instead of the carpet. 

Some of the shelf are placed incorrect, they are IN the wall , or at least it looks like that. The shelf in the bottom right room are missing the top part.

Maybe having less flags and making the dinner table smaller  would help making the mansion feel less fancy.

Also, there is a small mapping mistake in the hallway, the hallway is tree tiles high, the other rooms only 2.

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

One common problem for me is that the room are overly crowded on some part and then the rest of the space are empty. The other problem is inconsistencies.

House interior:

• Is it really necessary to cram that many window together? Not saying that it is wrong, but the way you do it seem a little odd imo. It has to do with the types of window used; the window in the middle is not even in the same style as the ones on the sides. I know what you're trying to achieve but the method you chose to do so is a little .... odd
  • Why is the kitchen shelf build into the wall while the wardrobe and everything else in the room is not? (For the record, I disagree with both styles. I personally would edit the tileset by moving things up/down to give that realistic feel). Same for the shelf at the bottom.
  • The placement of the table and 4 chairs seems a little odd. Why not move them down 1 block in attempt to "fill" in the emptiness on the bottom left hand corner of the room.

House interior 2:

• Why is the makeup table(?) (not sure what to call it...) placed there?
  • The clock looked overly fancy/expensive for a regular household
  • Same thing with the windows
  • The feeling of emptiness is even more severe compared to the previous interior. So much empty space
  • On the positive side, it is not so obvious that the shelves are placed into the walls

Storage room:

• Would be nice if there are different items on either side of the room... mix it up a little instead of letting it look like the sides mirror each other.

Mansion:

• WAY too much redundant space; is it really necessary to have such a long dining table with that many plates/seats in a small village mansion?
  • Not sure whats the deal with the table/chair arrangement on the top left hand room. Kinda feels like a public reading space or something instead of a wealthy person's library/study room.
  • The choice of furniture and their arrangement in the bottom left room is slightly odd as well. Not saying that the fireplace or the piano is wrong, I am referring to the arrangement for the seats and the mini table.
  • The room on the bottom right hand corner doesnt seem too bad except for the missing roof for the wardrobe and I guess the bed placement could be better

I don't think I have seen such a dining table in a mansion before. Pretty sure all the ones I have seen previously only have 1 chair at either end of the table. Not 2.

washington1.jpg

The pictures are not actually at 100% and I have to zoom in a lot to get a good look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

What the writer wrote: "The curtain is blue."
The readers: "There must be a hidden meaning behind this, perhaps to convey the character emotions ...".
What the writer has in mind: "The curtain is frickin' blue".
Time to share something!
hmZFwQe.png

I made these a while ago for my game. I took reference from various huts in Africa.
Have a great night! :D
I really need to buy a new mouse. Mine's keeps double-clicking and makes me waste A LOT of time eventing
How come there's no spooktober game jam? I thought horror maker games were some of the most popular genre out there...
"I didn't know X song was about that!" Uh... why? Do you not listen to the lyrics? I mean, I guess that makes sense. We live in a world where nobody listens, but everyone wants to be heard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Florian973