Bribolox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Been working on this for awhile...

I really wish I had music stand sprites... Or just musical instruments in general, since this is meant to be a music hall. What kind of music hall has ONLY a piano?!

View attachment 35085

Actually, when a music hall is not in use, it usually is just the piano that's left out because it's the only instrument that can't be packed away.  I would add some stools and maybe some chests to suggest that there are instruments within waitin to be played.  And maybe scatter a couple of piles of paper to represent sheet music.

ashikai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Little Adventurer I think you're "drawing" with the autotiles too much. Real buildings don't have those thick diagonal sections. The first hallway off the altar room (the triangular one) is really bizarre as well. When you're making a building it's good to think about what it's main purpose is, build around that, and then add on additional rooms as needed. I like to look at floor plans of real buildings to get a sense of what's normally there and then use that information to design your building. Below is a floorplan for a simple church:

Llanfyrnach%20Church%20Layout%202.jpg

...And a more complicated floorplan:

Floorplan1.jpg

See how the central focus is the worship area and then the smaller, less-important rooms flank that? Your map by comparison is a little more spiral-y and harder to navigate. Just my thoughts on that~

-------

tumblr_o5hojbKPkt1rjn229o2_540.png

Testing my interior ISO tiles. I'm missing two corner tiles (you can see em up by the bathrooms on the right) but it's coming along~

Original map was double this size (literally)... I cut out a ton of dead space where I was gonna put a lounge area. I think the walls need some visual interest though. Maybe have them be two-toned color? idk....

Last edited by a moderator:

Luiishu535

Coffee Machine Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Little Adventurer: What is up with all that empty space? There are 4 rooms in that building with absolutely nothing in them; why? For your first room, I suggest you to re-map the carpet, since they usually don't work like (they're either square, rectangular, or circular in shape. There are exceptions though, like those bear carpets). I generally suggest you to remove all of that empty space if you don't plan to use it. Some benches would be pretty practical to have in the first room. You could also add some candlesticks and a some pillars and whatnot.

Here's a quick example that you can use as a reference point:

[#spoiler]

Dope_Church.png

Honestly, most interiors don't need to have much more empty space than this.

[#/spoiler]

Hope that helps you out somewhat, buddy. Good luck!  :rock-left:

I just started working on the Dopewoods (a small forest area in my game). I'm not so

sure about the leaves overlay (yup, the one that's from Ace's Title2 graphics). Is it too

distracting, or does it actually work?

Here's the forest during Daytime:

Dopewoods_Day.png

This is Dopewoods during Nighttime:

Dopewoods_Night.png

This is the time when the glorious Nightshrooms start to appear.

EDIT: I'm not sure how the spoiler tags work now after the update.  :|

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The empty space is there because the map's not done yet. :) I'll add beds, shelves, enc. I'm surprised it's only the Sci-Fi sets that seem to have anything resembling benches IIRC.

@Bribolox Huh! That's a good point!

@ashikai ...That's a church? Looks more like an office building to me.

Richard John S

Rpg Maker Music Pack Contributor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is a screenshot from my Might and Magic inspired game, Legend of Erthia: Armageddon which is being created with Rpg Maker. With a big thanks to Ubisoft and the Might and Magic team for recognizing my project and granting me permission to use their assets from the earlier Might and Magic games, I am able to create a MM6-8 environment visually.

etherberg.jpg

Phonantiphon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Not far off, but you need to move the fireplace closer to the wall as it looks like it's not close enough to it. Also the main area of worship - (unless it's just a chapel) - would be larger than that in proportion to the rest of the building, as that's the function of a church. If it's a monastery then fair enough.

The entrance\exit to the right in the main area would be covered off in some fashion, so as not to disturb worshippers as well. What you often find is that non-worship areas are offset from main areas in that the entrance\exit to the them is nearer the back of the main area.

Almost there though! :)

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Kim_Shyuen Those are exceptionally made maps.

Not sure if you notice this but the light source from the moon (or streetlight) for one of the night scene, the triangular shape is visible... I think it would be better off it is not.

Keep up the good work! :)

Edit: typo

Phonantiphon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I just started working on the Dopewoods (a small forest area in my game). I'm not so

sure about the leaves overlay (yup, the one that's from Ace's Title2 graphics). Is it too

distracting, or does it actually work?

Here's the forest during Daytime:

Dude.
This is Dopewoods during Nighttime:

Brah

This is the time when the glorious Nightshrooms start to appear.

That's awesome. The Dopewoods! :D

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@Richard John S Uh, I love the old Might&Magic. Looks very similiar to that. Love the map and graphics. One thing that I think, could be improved. The name of your game. Honestly, it is one of those names you forget right away, because to me it sounds a bit generic. Maybe drop the subtitle?

@Little Adventurer Big improvement! I think, it looks better already. Is it a monastery? Normally one doesn't see so many sleeping places in a church, most of the time only 1 sleeping place for the priest. But I wouldn't make the main praying area any bigger than it is. Layout looks fine to me. Some suggestions:

Churches have often big, high rooms. I would change the wall height from 2 to 3, or even 4 high to make it more impressive. Placement of some pillars would also help.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Those beds are for the wounded and sick. :) Here I was wondering if I have too many stained glass windows.

Richard John S

Rpg Maker Music Pack Contributor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Uh, I love the old Might&Magic. Looks very similiar to that. Love the map and graphics. One thing that I think, could be improved. The name of your game. Honestly, it is one of those names you forget right away, because to me it sounds a bit generic. Maybe drop the subtitle?

Thanks for the feedback, @Candacis. The subtitle, Armageddon, reflects upon the story. It may seem a bit generic, but I have to keep it consistent, and it has been the title since I first put this project into the first person view perspective. By the way, which MM game is your favourite? MM6 is mine! :)

@Phonantiphon Good job on the map, it's nicely decorated.

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@Richard John S I'm oldschool, 4 and 5 are my favorites.

And just because the title is something you had since the beginning, doesn't mean it is excempt from closer examination. There is a reason why working titles exist. I'm just saying, personally the title didn't speak to me. It just sounds so generic. The word combo "legend of" is very overused in the fantasy genre, and then combined with a madeup world name and subtitle, it isn't something I would pick up at a store, be it a book, game or movie. I would either drop the word "legend" or "armageddon". You want a unique AND memorable name. This doesn't do it for me. But only my personal opinion. Quick way to change it: "Erthia Legend" or "Erthia Armageddon"

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Richard John S: How did you get the game into 1st person perspective in RPGMaker? Maps look good to me, but I am curious how you pulled off the 1st person part. Any special script?

@Luiishi535: I like the effect myself. Did you use that as a fog, with say Shaz's fog script? I may have to try it myself honestly.

Scythuz

Explorer Bot *beep beep*
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Richard John S - I can definitely see the MM6 vibes in this one!  I'm also curious about how you got the 1st person perspective working in rm, I've always had a bit of a dream about making an MM, Wizardry or Eye of Beholder style game :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I didn't realize that Deers can grow so big... I almost hit one while going home from work - phew... approx 10cm separated us from accident... (tomorrow link to video from my dashcam). I'm too shocked to think straight.
Just watched a very good drama. It left this very heavy sadness inside me T.T

As a game dev, there's always this other feeling I have after, for example, watching a sad drama: "Understanding +1!"
I just don't know why, but it's funny.
5.gif
Ugh. The one time I forget to save every hour or so is also the day my computer crashes. That's life!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rehncohro