Iliketea

Tea lover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
I currently am working on this map:

0dHhrjt.jpg

It is supposed to be a small but well of goblin-slave traders home. 

Does anyone have an die how to make the goblin barracks ( the small huts on the upper left) more.... slave-house-ish? 

Phonantiphon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The Barn:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/DD3a78k.png[/IMG]

Composite Image of The Kell Farm external daylight map:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/6IP9s8m.png[/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator:

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@Iliketea I like the layout and idea behind the map. And I'm just currently working on a gabled straw roof. Nice coincidence :)

Several things that stood out to me: no shadows for the cliff. You have some soft shadows for the houses, so it's weird that the cliffs don't have any. And the bigger trees desperately need shadows, too. Where are they from, if I might ask?

I like the entrance with the connecting bridge, but the wall left and right looks a bit disconnected (and also missing shadows). The big house has some height problems, mainly that the wall with the gabled roof is way too short in comparison to the wall under the vertical roof. The wall under the gabled roof has to have at least the same height as the other wall. Right now the gabled roof gives the impression it is a slope going down.

I like the little numbers at the huts, they look pretty nice, also the entrance to the big house. I agree that the slave hut area still looks relatively nice. Maybe make some open cages? I think, Inside_C has some metal cage walls or something like that. Also, I would replace the wooden window and door with a metal cage door and metal window. If you can, dirty up the roofs and ground, add some blood, garbage, chains or a working area where they are breaking up rocks (where I would use stuff from the dungeon_B tileset for example). Hope that helps.

Iliketea

Tea lover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
@Candacis

Ah, shadows, my biggest nemesis.... 

I didnt noticed the problem with the roof, thank you for pointing it out!

The trees are the ones from Kaus, I just edited them into different shades. ( I have his permission to use them)

I guess the disconnected-feeling of the gate and the walls will be easy to fix, I just have to move the gate a bit up.

And some metal, blood and dirt for the slaves.... I hope they dont start a metal band, that would make them harder to sell.

I don't think that a working area would fit into it, because this is merely a trading post. The goblins get caught and then send there to sell them.

If they had to work there they might get injured and then they would sell for a lower price. Also, who would buy a goblin thats nearly dead from exhaustion :/ 

Urg, my inner merchant is coming out... better stop before I make a whole business plan.

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@Iliketea Well, goblins that sit on their ass around all day waiting to be picked up, have lots of times to talk, bond and come up with escape plans or start a rebellion. Goblins that work all day.. not so much. Doesn't have to be breaking rocks, maybe weaving baskets or something like that. But that is just what my fictive goblin slave trader would do. If this is a selling area, you could have a little wooden platform as a selling station? You could also have some graves around back for the goblins that didn't make it.

Man, those poor goblins. Someone better free them!

Iliketea

Tea lover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
@Candacis

Hmm... baskets sound good, and the selling platform is an excellent idea! I first wanted them to work on the Slime farm, because slimes dont hurt as much as rocks do and people dont die that easily from farm work.... Unless modern machines are involved and you are in a horror movie.

I dont think a slave trader would bury the goblins, maybe burn them or throw them into the river.... Maybe I should add a place for a big bonfire....

And don't worry, it's part of my story to aid the rebellion of the goblins :D They will be free.... unless the player messes up.

Then they get all executed.

lemongreen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I keep thinking I've posted these for some reason (probably because I've posted them other places)

darkoffice.png

This actually started out completely in the editor and then I realized I wasn't going to get the look I really wanted for the room. I'm still not quite sure on the lighting and I know I should probably go back and make some parts look less blocky since its not editor dependent anymore. (though I'm probably not going to) 

aauitest.png

This is from an unrelated project; was slightly inspired by Ace Attorney but there are a few details that still feel slightly off  (then again I've been debating adding some more elements so that could just be it) 

Luiishu535

Coffee Machine Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Luiishi535: I like the effect myself. Did you use that as a fog, with say Shaz's fog script? I may have to try it myself honestly.

Nah, I just added the picture ("Leaves" from Ace's Titles2 with less opacity) to the map. I guess I'll stick to it if no one has anything against it. Thanks for the feedback!

Iliketea

Tea lover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
So this is the updated version.

I tried my best with the shadows, I hope they are ok.

Spoiler

LAiZTHa.jpg

Phonantiphon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

It looks so nearly there - (and believe me, I'm no expert!) - but: the fireplace on the right needs to be against the wall, not in front of the wall, I think you have too many stained glass windows, and also the height differential between the main area and the rest looks weird?

You would be better off I think with a connecting corridor between the main worship area and the ancillary areas; maybe a cloister of some sort?

Kaus

The Sagittarius Bearer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Taglish
Primarily Uses
Doing some map practice with the tileset im working on for next week's release:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/3mRSJa3.png[/IMG]

LEFT: Raw Map

RIGHT: Overlayed Map w/ my plugin

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Nice cave, but I don't get why there are sunrays all over in the cave? If it has an opening, it would probably only be on one single spot. Right now the overlay looks weird to me.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm torn between following your advice and keeping it the way it is! >.< 

Luiishu535

Coffee Machine Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm torn between following your advice and keeping it the way it is! >.< 

The height issue and fireplace placement are actual mapping errors; they're not matters of taste. The only instance for one to ignore something like that would be if one intentionally wants to have errors in their map(s). Unless you're making some sort of joke game, I highly suggest you to fix those errors. Also, most people would probably count your carpet as a mapping error (including myself).

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
...Okay, dude, I got people saying my wall heights were inconsistent before, hence why I tried to make this one all the same height, okay? I can't change much in terms of height unless I redo the whole thing, and this took me all day, okay?

I fixed the fireplace.

What's wrong with the carpet?

Ugh...

2923ehx.jpg

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
...Okay, dude, I got people saying my wall heights were inconsistent before, hence why I tried to make this one all the same height, okay? I can't change much in terms of height unless I redo the whole thing, and this took me all day, okay?

I fixed the fireplace.

What's wrong with the carpet?

You handled the transition between the main praying area with the rest of the chapel poorly. I reckon the main problem is the wall that separates the main praying area with the rest. There is no easy way around this. Your design makes sense when you think about it, but our brain seems to think differently. I will illustrate this with a messy paint job,

4rQgHYJ.jpg

If you only look at the floor (the yellow scribbles), yeah, the height difference isn't really an issue. But when you see the top of the wall (the place i drew red lines over... i didnt do it for the whole building), then you will have difficulty thinking that the main praying area has a taller wall compared to the rest of the building. It is not you, it is our brain (those who learn psychology at uni, please correct me if I am wrong). I guess you can refer to that as some sort of optical illusion too. 

I think the solution for this is to separate the main praying area with the rest of the chapel. Have them on a different map or just separate the two with a black space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I feel the need to inform everyone on the forums NOT to go with Web Hosting Canada for your hosting needs. It is by far the worst customer service and just overall experience I have ever had with hosting and I am Canadian...
BCj
Got another eye surgery monday. Hope I'll recover quick and all's well. A bit tired of surgeries. On a happy note, working on the next chapter of Escalia so hope I can continue soon :)
Celebrating the arrival of autumn in the Northern Hemisphere :)
When doing a map or whatever, kind of wish you could round out some parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marc_brain