Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think you could fix it by moving the right section down two tiles and keeping the left praying section the same. If the walls are separated by their Y coordinate it might look better.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Little Adventurer: There is a way to fix the wall height issue by showing the transition between heights better. See the wall right where you leave the chapel? Make that the same height as the wall in the chapel, and with some shift-clicking, you can show then that the top of that wall is taller than the top of the other wall (and you'll need shift clicking to do it too, as the mapping system by default cannot handle two roof tiles by each other of different heights). But if you made that change I think it would look decent.

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Little Adventurer: There is a way to fix the wall height issue by showing the transition between heights better. See the wall right where you leave the chapel? Make that the same height as the wall in the chapel, and with some shift-clicking, you can show then that the top of that wall is taller than the top of the other wall (and you'll need shift clicking to do it too, as the mapping system by default cannot handle two roof tiles by each other of different heights). But if you made that change I think it would look decent.

That is actually a very good suggestion. I kinda pushed it to the back of my mind as the shift-clicked slab would look a bit funny-- it is going to miss the border to the top, but then again, it is barely noticeable ingame. Good work!

I modified the test map to see the effect and it is already looking better than the original version when it comes to the separation. 

Edit:

tkXoVZZ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@LittleAdventurer

About the carpet: I think, what @Luiishu535 is trying to say, is that the carpet might be viewed as a mapping error, because it doesn't look much like a carpet. Think about what shapes of carpet you know. Most of the time they are regular squares or round. Very rarely have they such odd shapes like this. But to be honest, I don't have such an issue with the carpet. It breaks the room up nicely. Sometimes people prefer to shift-map the carpet so the endings at the wall don't have a border. I can show you here the four common carpet mapping variants:

Carpet Mapping:

s0VwdMn.png

I36DA4P.png

I, myself, prefer number 3 and 4, because I imagine that the sidewalls block the view of some of the borders of a carpet. The same goes for top parts of walls. They basically block the view of 1 tile. To illustrate that I only placed the top part of this statue. The rest is not visible, because the top part of the wall blocks the view. It is a nice way to create depth in a room. But variant 2 has certainly its merits, too, for some situations and styles.

Sometimes it really depends on the room. In your case it would be very hard to shift-map the section at the entrance, so I would just leave the carpet as it is. But the four different ways are certainly something you can experiment with and are good techniques to improve your mapping. Most people like some form of shift-mapping. Don't know how shift-mapping goes? Look up this tutorial:

Wheew, that was a longer excursion about carpet mapping I planned to do. Just a piece of advice for the future. Again, I personally wouldn't change the carpet. In my opinion, you did a good job with the church. One can always change a lot of things to make it better. You see, people are eager to help fellow mappers. :) Sometimes, like now, you get lucky and a ton of feedback. It is not always like that, so take it when you get it. Doesn't mean you did a bad job, just that people are very interested in your maps.

After you have sat through this long rambling about carpets and advice, here is a bigger church window I did:

churchwindows_Candacis.png

Free to use. Darker window is for the outside. Maybe it's useful.

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@RocketKnight I like the music and the map, very nice atmosphere. Three things: It doesn't look like she is walking. The front view walking has little to no animation? And it takes a bit too long for her to wake up in my opinion. Like the blurry effect at the beginning, although I first questioned if the video was not properly loading. The menu sound when you switch from one button to the next, is extremly loud. Imagine how often a player would use the menu. You don't want them to cringe everytime they use it. I would make the sound much much quieter, so it doesn't disturb too much.

VanillaBrocker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Hi, guys. I'm new here.

Nice to see the many cool screenshots you all are posting. Lots of creativity and good taste in the maps designs,

@RocketKnight Loved the transitions. The only thing I question about the menu is the cursor sound effect. Maybe it's just me, but I think it would be nice if you'd try vary the pitch, a little. Just like what's done with footsteps sounds.

Also, posting some scenes from my game:

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I really like the cartoony style there! Although I would say that you used "land" a bit too much in that intro, but that's extremely nitpicky and it looks like you're going for a childlike atmosphere so that's totally fine.

VanillaBrocker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
I really like the cartoony style there! Although I would say that you used "land" a bit too much in that intro, but that's extremely nitpicky and it looks like you're going for a childlike atmosphere so that's totally fine.

You're absolutelly right. I tend to write on the go, and as english isn't my main language, I make lots of mistakes (but I'm improving, I swear. haha!).

But thanks, I'll definitely change it.

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Kenen Might want to look into that wood beam(?) that separates the wooden floor and the paved floor. It is making it look like paved floor is not part of the room unless that is what you're intending to do. Otherwise it looked great. Good work. Love the furniture.

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, I did all the fixes that were recommended to me. The blue house will have a special sign in between the two windows, which is why there's an empty space in there.

VIQggd3.png

Euphony

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kenen Those tiles look great! I like how you used icons to add decoration to the shelves and such. You might want to soften the outlines, though; I can instantly tell which decorations were icons and which weren't.

Also I don't really understand this part where the wall outline goes between the two floor tiles:

MbK6j12.png

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
a2rced.jpg

I'm actually thinking about redoing that little town I made earlier. I feel like that should have like a market instead of item buildings. What? Might as well put PandaMaru's sprite work to good use somewheres! :)

It'll make my Sonata City map easier to do anyway, since the maps are already made. Plus, it'd justify the mansion layout I made.

Phonantiphon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Forest map I'm working on...

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ouc1tNH.png[/IMG]

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@Phonantiphon The Layout looks fine, especially the natural flowing pathways, but it is more like a field map than a forest. For a forest it is missing more trees. But everything is waaay too oversaturated and the trees have weird black outlines, they look a bit flat. I'm not sure what you did with the tileset, but for me personally it is hard to look at.

Phonantiphon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Phonantiphon The Layout looks fine, especially the natural flowing pathways, but it is more like a field map than a forest. For a forest it is missing more trees. But everything is waaay too oversaturated and the trees have weird black outlines, the look a bit flat. I'm not sure what you did with the tileset, but for me personally it is hard to look at.

It will have considerably more trees on it by the time I'm finished, as I said I'm still working on it.

[EDIT]: It now has considerably more trees in it...!

In game I'll be applying a tint to it that'll give it a different look anyway.

I'll be editing the tileset a little for the outlining, but not too much though.

Thanks for the feedback - I was wondering about the pathways actually so it's cool that they've come up ok.

Nisshoku

CEO NisshoTatsu Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, so I need some help on trying to get part of my map to blend together better. Here is the area I am trying to blend:

Screenshot_1.png

I am trying to blend the section of map in the top section where the cliffside starts. It looks too rough and edgy. Any ideas are appreciated. **EDIT** I actually noticed the trees against the right cliff side looked weird the way they were. I have already gone and fixed them, just need a blending strategy now.

@Phonantiphon

Saw you mentioned editing your map, just wanted to throw something in. The map you posted looks almost exactly like a map I made, using a ton of those 1x2 trees as well as bushes logs etc, but a few members suggested that I use more of the 2x2 trees to make a better looking forest. The larger trees especially look really good as part of the map edges, and suggests a more forested area. Just an idea for ya.

esby

eejit
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Phonantiphon I never saw the original screenshot but you went waaaaay too far in the opposite direction, I can barely see an empty tile. If it wasn't for the path being so jarring I wouldn't have a clue where to go in that map. Like Nisshoku said, use the bigger trees to fill out the areas you want blocked off and use the skinnier trees sparingly as decoration. Your tree tiles have some straight lines on them, from the method you used to edit them (it's really noticeable on the clump of the 4 big trees and the tile used to connect the smaller trees), which really needs addressing.

@Nisshoku The issue right now is that having an abrupt two tile high cliff is always going to look a little out of place, I find that staggering the cliff height and having little sections that jut out works a lot better to create a more fluid transition between the different height levels. I've thrown together a little screenshot to demonstrate because it's a lot easier to show than describe :D

222f2b05de.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

E7DsT3VXsAInVpu

working on my avatar, because i couldn't stand looking at it anymore :D
still not finished though...
alpacaraptors = love!
''Finds icons that fits the game you're making'' Only covers 20% of what you need :p
I'm very manic-y right now. I didn't sleep and I wanted to get a bunch of stuff done, but didn't get anything done except the bare bones concept for a POSSIBLE game.
And I can't sleep now because I'm probably gonna be hanging out with my brother and I gotta discuss a bunch of BroCoG (our game group) junk with him plus it's far to late to sleep NOW.
poppetQuestBarryApproaches.jpg
While I wait for judging, I decided to start adding more "friends" to my attic. :LZSgrin:

I swear I need a whole sound pack of menacing squeaky toy noises. :kaoswt:
I can't believe I actually managed to stay motivated for the whole Game Jam duration (1 month!), definitely will be taking a break after this :0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dnelson83