CEO NisshoTatsu Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@esby

I see what you're saying. That does actually look a lot better. Gonna need to take another 20 minutes or so to change it up to something like that. Also, will using this method still make it look alright in the section I am mostly worried about? It's the section where the house is right up against the cliff.

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@Nisshoku

esby made an excellent example how a nice transition area can look like. The more intersecting cliffs you can make, the better. Just try and adhere to one rule: the sum of the cliff height tiles should always be the same.

I agree that the area around the house looks problematic. I would probably put the house on a 1 cliff high area and try having a higher cliff behind it. You can still put the trees on the cliff. Just try and have some of the cliffs in that area, too.

Kaus

The Sagittarius Bearer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Taglish
Primarily Uses
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ETX8arn.png[/IMG]

So My Newest Tileset has been released to the public. Above is a sample ingame screenshot of the tileset. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Phonantiphon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@esby and @Nisshoku:

There absolutely are some glitches in the tiles which need addressing, however they are only cosmetic, and as such are going on my bug list for fixing later.

With regards to the number of trees - it's a forest, forests have lots of trees, so my maps will have lots of trees. What they won't have are trees that imply that this is a forest, using 1 type of tree for one thing, and another for another.

I've fixed the tree tileset so that characters can walk through the trees to get to areas within the forest, and associated events, it'll be tricky, but possible - which, I think, is as it should be.

One area that *does* need work is the clearing on the right, there's a rogue tree stump in the way of the path that logically should not be there, so I'll probably change where the path leads into the clearing.

Having said that, I post shots on here because I want the feedback - I have found some very useful feedback through posting shots in this thread and indeed some of that feedback has made my maps look 100% better. Having said THAT, however:

Whilst I completely respect what you're saying with regards to layout - (and thank you very much for the suggestions), I'm not going to lay out my forest according to "The Standard Forest Template No 6" - because an area of greenery using a few trees as emphasis does not say "forest" to me, anymore than using those tree tiles that have that continuous "hedge-like" feel with black tops do. Bear in mind that you don't see the whole of the map when you play, so the player will only see some of it and so will not be presented with an entire screen of trees - (Well they will, but not on that scale, if you see what I mean)!

(Even if they were to be though, I really don't see why that's a problem. as I said, it's a forest - it's even signposted as such). :D

There are actually a number of areas where there are no trees and very little vegetation, just as there would be, but just as there would be, they are not immediately apparent - you have to look for them. The player can follow the paths and keep out of the trees should they wish, or they can make their way through them - there will be differing outcomes based upon the path they choose to take - it's not as if there is no clearly-defined pathway.

As I said, I completely respect your point of view here. I'm not going to restrict myself to a "This is how you do a forest" process however, any more than I am going to start sticking sunrays everywhere or making "nights" that are not dark. Now either the end result of all of this will actually turn out to vindicate my enormous stubbornness in sticking to what I want, or it will teach me a lesson in actually following rather more advice than I have. We shall see, but regardless of the outcome, I'm determined to enjoy the process, and enjoy trying to make my game unique, in it's own way - rightly or wrongly. :)

But thank you, again, for the feedback - I do honestly find it useful and indeed helpful, and I hope I get more - don't be offended if I choose not follow all of it however!! :D

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@Phonantiphon

I saw the screenshot before and I liked the lower tree count better than filling almost everything up with the thinner trees. I prefer the bigger trees over the thinner trees to emphasize a forest, but those are just preferences. However, PandaMaru and I have made VX Ace tree edits that could be useful to give a bit more variance to a forest.

Phonantiphon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The beach house

@Strashiner: I love the rock texture, and the trees with the light and dark. I also really like the floaty diamond thing, and indeed the path and how the grass blends with it.

One thing though - what's causing the sunrays?

@Candacis: I get what you mean and I'd be interested in the variations.

I think one of the things here is, is that the larger trees are more reminiscent of deciduous trees and the narrower ones of coniferous trees - so to me it's a question of the "type" of forest you're going for. Forests in this gameworld, at least in this region, are analogues of coniferous ones with some deciduous-type trees.

Other forests may be different, or have a different mix - (does that make sense?)

esby

eejit
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Phonantiphon I'm not saying you should follow Forest Template No 6, I'm saying you should follow Mapping 101 and use positive and negative spaces to help guide the player. You've misinterpreted the advice people have given you - we're not saying to use fewer trees, we're saying you need to use the trees smarter. The problem with saying that the player can create their own path through the trees is that apart from the obvious grey path I have no idea what's passable and what's not and I don't think I'd have the patience in game to find out. I don't understand this position of asking for advice and then ignoring the advice you get because it's not what you want to here, you might not always get the advice you want but you'll get the advice you need. Once again, this isn't "This is how you do a forest" but rather "Here are some basics you should stick to" :)

On the left is your map, right mine. This is what I mean by creating blocks of the larger trees, rather than just the same clump of four repeated throughout the map, with the skinny tree being used as variation. It's clear to the player where they can and can't walk and I've still left in room to hide chests and stuff. Rather than have trees everywhere there's a small use of cliff tiles for variation and to introduce the idea of different levels of height. I'm still using a lot more decoration tiles than I normally would but do you see how using fewer makes each of them stand out more and have more of an impact.

wmk8GCK.png

Phonantiphon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@esby: Gotcha. :)

Comparing mine and yours - there are changes I can make to distribution in some specific areas, as there is some clumping and linearity which I don't want - thank you for that.

But: I'm not gonna change the ratio of tree types, as it's not that type of forest. It's not just a case of filling the space with artfully placed trees - (although there are lessons that I can learn from your screenie, and I will make those changes as there are areas of my map that do look a little clunky) - but it's also a question of what *sort* of forest it is.

The fact is that there are no chests or barrels to hide things in in this forest - only trees - (aside from the bottom right), so I don't need to make space for them, also there are no cliffs in this forest - I don't need to take elevation into account. I appreciate that you're providing an example - but your forest is attempting to be a different forest from mine - like I say there are distribution changes within the template I am using that I can employ, based upon your example - but if my forest does not require elements in it, then I'm not going to put those elements in there.

@Candacis: Thank you, I'll check that out. :)

Pyromantic

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So I took a break from bust portraits to try out a custom menu. Um, so, here's a picture of that, I guess:

SnowyShot1.png

I guess it looks alright, but I think I'll try to give it some subtle movement - everything's just very still with it right now. 

(Also please ignore random WIP map background there.)

Nisshoku

CEO NisshoTatsu Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Phonantiphon

What esby explained is what I was also trying to explain :) And don't get me wrong, your game is a unique game that is made by you, and I understand completely your want to keep it all in your original design. Now, from a player standpoint, me being the player, the sheer amount and closeness of trees would be overwhelming in the sense that everything would feel squished together, and in a sense, claustrophobic. Now that's just from my POV as a player. Ultimately what you want in the game is what you should choose to do. :)

@esby

Very good explanation on your reply to Phonantiphon as well :) I am probably gonna take into account your screenshot and use it to my advantage. Thanks  :D

Phonantiphon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Nisshoku: I completely get what you're saying, I do. I just really want to try to balance the one side with the other.

That's said, the screenshot was actually really useful in pointing out a couple of things that I am happy to change, so it's all good.

And thank you :)

VanillaBrocker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
@Strashiner
It's very nice and cozy. Just to know, will you use the default character assets? Also, you've said it's missing the water tiles. I assume you're parallax mapping, and how will you add water to your maps? I'm using a bunch of placeholders until I figure out what's the best way to make it, but it's something that I'll ned to see later.

@Phonantiphon
You've said you'll apply some tint on it, but I'm very curious to see how it will be. Have you already tested the contrast (with the tint)? And the layout is great! :)

@Pyromantic
I'm loving your game's art direction. It's really simple, but very harmonic. Your random WIP map background looks very interesting, too!

@Kaus
Beautiful tileset! Congratulations! :)

And here are some caves. Please, ignore the fact that Cass is wearing just his underwears. I've forgot to equip his initial equipment.

Strashiner

Ambitious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@VanillaBrocker

I wont be using the default assets.

Water tiles as in, animated water tiles that are semi transparent on the end of the sand. there is a script which allows tons of animation frames at once. I am taking that to account.

atasuke10

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I need advice... I've lost my mind over this one map :D I just can't play with perspective here cuz I feel like I'm braindead.
I want this map to be a corridor of a science lab that shows it overlooking the mountains though the windows but the ceiling just doesn't look right
neither like this, neither if I delete it(that way it's non existent) how could I get the maximum out of this map? Pls help :stare:
n06hFvf.png

Pyromantic

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@VanillaBrocker Thanks! Although it's mostly due to the fact that pixel art's best with straight lines and geometric shapes, and I think diamonds are more interesting than squares. :p There have been a few times where I wanted a more organic design but couldn't get the pixels to cooperate.

@atasuke10 I like the background, but I think it could use a pillar where the ceiling tiles turn. I think the mountain picture could use some brightening, too, unless it's supposed to be night.

atasuke10

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@atasuke10 I like the background, but I think it could use a pillar where the ceiling tiles turn. I think the mountain picture could use some brightening, too, unless it's supposed to be night.

You mean a pillar like that? also I completely didn't notice how dark the window tiles made the background, you're right, it will have to be brightened. :)
LdXSnz5.png

Aoi Ninami

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Better but still not right. You refer to the part showing the mountains as a "ceiling", but that doesn't make sense. The ceiling is removed so that we can look into the room and see the floor and back wall. For this kind of view to work, the mountains should be visible through a window in the back wall.

atasuke10

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Better but still not right. You refer to the part showing the mountains as a "ceiling", but that doesn't make sense. The ceiling is removed so that we can look into the room and see the floor and back wall. For this kind of view to work, the mountains should be visible through a window in the back wall.

Alright so If i remove the blackness ("ceiling") then I'm looking from above into the room through the ceiling. This is what it looks like right? Perspective wise it's right... i think.
Doesn't it feel too open? How could I perserve the feeling of closedness and still have it be correct?

Edit: the windows are the back wall or front wall, whichever you prefer, the ceiling is supposed to be where you see into the corridor. Just to avoid
misunderstandings, since I said "ceiling" in a weird way.

bBiF8kd.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Lately I have been taking a break from game and resource making so I won't get burnt out. But I am also interested in the Game Jams this site periodically holds. It'd be great if I knew when the next one, if any, is planned.
elexy 1.2.pngSome bust art to be cropped and cleaned. May use in special decision moments. Depending on how it looks in game I may cut it.
Tiamat-86 wrote on ATT_Turan's profile.
apparently since its turning 15 years old this year the ps3 is considered "retro". now how old do you feel?
guess that means im an "antique" gamer since ill still play games as old as i am.
"you know your getting old when your childhood console changes ethnicity" lol it turned yellow
I'm making Toilet in Wonderland 2. and tell vinny about it lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RicardodaSilva