Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
ixzk01.jpg

My original mansion map.

2cpuij9.jpg

And in the process of redoing it. :) My one regret is, if I move the dining room downstairs, I lose the nice windows I had. Oh well. I can just add the non curtained ones to an outside wall.

We allowed to post character emotes here? I didn't get much comment on the ones I posted in the progress thread.

Alto-

15x4bgg.jpg

Aria-

f0t1jn.jpg

Minuet-

2l9qgy9.jpg

And I actually have three sets of emotes for my character Quintus, Normal, Young and Corrupted.

2mfkcxz.jpg

2mmg6sh.jpg

309lhk3.jpg

There's only one thing I dislike about the Character Generator, and that is if I make an emote for a character and they wear a hat, it makes the expression harder to read because, say, the hat covers their eyebrows/forehead. And yes, I know Young Quintus's facial structure is off- he's supposed to be in his twenties/teenage years so his jawline should be smaller. I'll fix it later.

Aoi Ninami

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
atasuke: Getting better. Now remove the top-of-wall tiles from under the window and replace those with a normal area of blank wall. Also put a strip of wall along the top of the window -- it shouldn't go right up to the ceiling.

If you want it to feel more closed, then shrink the windows and have more blank wall space around them.

atasuke10

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
atasuke: Getting better. Now remove the top-of-wall tiles from under the window and replace those with a normal area of blank wall. Also put a strip of wall along the top of the window -- it shouldn't go right up to the ceiling.

If you want it to feel more closed, then shrink the windows and have more blank wall space around them.

Meanwhile I took the liberty to use actual glass tiles for the glass and did the corrections you suggested, it looks way better to me, but I made peace with it being an open area and
just made the inside area the closed area I wanted the player to feel closed in :D Maybe I should fix up the wall on the hallway window line to look better but otherwise I'm satisfied with it now :)
Thanks for all the help :D
zEHkmHq.png

RotorBrick

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello guys. I just registered a few hours ago and I bought RMMV yesterday. The program is pretty awesome for what it is, and it's also the first game making software I ever tried.

But since I really like designing and making maps for whatever reason, I tried mapping and this is the result.

I will say that I'm not proud of it, And I hope I can do better since I need the skills to be able to past my upcoming test of some sort. It's like "Mid Terms Exam" but game making.

HTpW8IE.png

Thanks. 

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@RotorBrick  Nice start!  You should try clumping things together, make clusters of things to look at instead of scattering things evenly, it'll make it more interesting and feel more realistic.

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Ace VII Lighting is directional and your lighting doesn't make sense... 

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@RotorBrick great for a first try! Here are some criticisms for you:

• Don't be afraid to layer the trees
  • Darker water is deep water. Lakes don't usually get deeper close to the shore so I would recommend making it deeper towards the middle.
  • Stone paths are man made, which means they efficient. Make it more straight if it's stone, and a bit more curvy if it's dirt. I would actually recommend using a dirt path here but I'm not at all aware of the story here.
  • Add more variation in your cliffs. There is a rule you can generally go by that if you are using the same tile three times in a row, you should switch it up and drop it down or bring it up on the next tile over by one or two tiles. That will help your cliffs look more natural.
  • The elevation on your stair case looks a bit weird. Either delete the bottom tile of your staircase, or bring the cliff wall to the right of it down a tile. That one might look a bit more funky, but you'll never know until you try it!

All in all, much better than my maps looked when I started with XP way back in the day. So congrats!

Chaos Avian

Abyssal Wing
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hmmm, trying a pseudo side scroller type map... haven't mapped in a while either.

Forest%20Entrance_zpsfk3pfdys.png

Forest%20Shrine%20Entrance_zpshlvvgpqc.png

VanillaBrocker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
@Quigon Simply beautiful. I've already seem The Widower's thread, and only now I've connected your game to your avatar and everything else. Judging by these screens, your setting is amazing. As a big fan of David Lynch and his works, I'm very excited about your game.

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Danotia Prison:

yRz8qK3.png

Re-purposed a map I showed earlier into an underground entrance:

S5M1JsD.png

Rengrum's church:

oRJlYma.png

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@AceOfAces_Mod I'll be honest, the first two look auto-generated by the built-in dungeon creator, and I would hate to explore them, especially if there were random battles. With the third, is there a particular reason your outside wall is taller than the inside ones? It ends up looking a little weird.

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@AceOfAces_Mod I would not take screenshots in the event tab, because of the grid. I'm a little bit confused why you are mapping the prison and underground in a different way than the church. Meaning with the church you have the outside wall visible, the other two maps don't have that. I would pick one mapping style and stick with it through all your maps.

I have to agree with taarna23 that your prison and underground look confusing. I think, it would be very hard for a player to navigate in there and find a bearing, because there are no clear pathways and no objects to get a sense for where you are.

Think about how a prison is set up. It has some main pathways, some cell blocks, maybe a guards room, a storage room, that kind of thing. Think about the function and purpose of a room before you start mapping it.

I quite like the church, especially the little pedestals you did there and it is also nicely decorated. However,I would not show the outside walls and stick to the same mapping techniques like the two previous maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

1,Randomly generate events with planted spawner events(great flexibility for customization and auto-match player's level)
2,Randomly enter roguelike dungeon
3,Player can exit dungeon or back to town or choose to challenge BOSS at the end of each dungeon
4,Dungeon maps can be randomly generated by a third-party tool
Got locked out of the house yesterday... best friends who had the spare ghosted me. Locksmith had to literally drill thru the lock bc they couldn't pick it. Whole process took 4 hours and far too much money. And they have to come back next week bc they don't have the right cylinder, cause it's an old interlocking lock. I'm livid lol
 I’m probably going to regret this, but I need kobolds for my project and I’ve decided to sprite them myself. This is Attempt #1, front view only.

KoboldFront.gif
It's a shame that Selection Control will not be ported to MZ. I found a neat way of using it to enable ways for tanks to protect squishies. lol
Lately I have been taking a break from game and resource making so I won't get burnt out. But I am also interested in the Game Jams this site periodically holds. It'd be great if I knew when the next one, if any, is planned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwiras