Game & Map Screenshots 7

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Jul 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Tags:
  1. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Myst88: I don't see anything popping, so I guess you did well.

Do you want the transition stone/wood at the entrance to be on the same level or slightly different, like the entrance of Japanese houses?

I think the latter would look better.

2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I agree that nothing immediately strikes one as clashing.  I think a couple of points on it as a map.

How does the bar tender get in and out of that space?  It looks like both ends of the bar meet the walls.

I'd change that cupboard so that the bar tender has some glasses to put the beer in.

Food is being provided.  Yet there is no indication of a doorway which could lead into a kitchen.

3. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Testing out the improved Hell Casket mini game

[​IMG]

The demons now have to notice you before they start chasing you, instead of them automatically wandering towards your direction with the approach move route. This makes evading them somewhat easier, which is a good thing since the whole minigame is harder as a whole.

4. AceOfAces_Mod

AceOfAces_Mod Engineering to infinity! Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Στιγμιότυπο οθόνης (19).png

(rendered in-engine, as this scene is supposed to happen before the events of the game)

This is Robert's office. He's a detective.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2015
  5. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Ace:

That's one big, empty office...

Is that a final version?

6. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Tuomo - Looks like an interesting mini-game! Honestly, there's not a lot to comment on the map itself. It seems to serve the purpose it needs to for the set up of the mini-game. I question the floor choice a bit as it seems like all lava and I wouldn't think you'd walk on lava. But maybe because they're demons?

@Aces - That room is so big, with nothing in it. You could easily cut half to 2/3 of it off and still have a decent office space.

When I map an interior, I think about the things I absolutely need in it first. Sometimes I even place those things before ever doing walls or floors. It helps me realize just how big (or small, really) the room needs to be. When I just select a floor tile and draw a big rectangle without really knowing what size I will need, I always, always end up making the room too big.

office.png

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2015
  7. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @AceofAces_Mod

Also think of the placement of items so that they reflect the use of the room.  Presumably he sees clients there?  Then the stool on the client side of the desk will be opposite his, not to one side, or there might be a couple of easy chairs and small table where he could talk to his clients more comfortably.  Also note that mlogan has deleted that long strip of carpet going to the door.  Carpets just aren't made with those long strips, and this is an office - practicality will be important.  I am assuming that there is an in-game reason for all that pink.  If not, you might like to reconsider it.

mlogan likes this.
  8. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Ace: If we assume that each tile is 3 feet (based on the bed), that is...I count 15 tiles across (not counting the walls), so 45 feet wide! Who needs an office that big? Or who even gets an office that big? I think you could cut it down to 7 tiles across, at most. Maybe even 5 or 6 would work as well.

9. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The floor being lava actually ties to the whole point of the mini game and why you are using the casket (it withstands heat and pressure and was made to you by a demon)

mlogan likes this.
  10. AceOfAces_Mod

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @ksjp, well the desk on the right is when he works on the eveidence. And I've tinted the screen to Sepia in the event so color may not look right.

@Tuomo L, forgot to say this on my post but, this mini-game looks interesting. I wonder how it will play out...

First revision:

Στιγμιότυπο οθόνης (20).png

Also went back to one of the Inn / Pub rooms and re-worked the design:

Στιγμιότυπο οθόνης (21).png

11. Chaos Avian

Chaos Avian Abyssal Wing Restaff

First Language:
    English
    @AceofAces_Mod: The office is looking better but still a looking a bit too large. Maybe if you reduces the size by 2 tiles? Though I like what you have with the Pub so far.

Any tips to improve the look of this Battle UI? It feels lacking.

[​IMG]

Tetsune likes this.
  12. RaZzi

RaZzi My Peculiar Brother Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    @Chaos Avian: You have 3 different fonts that don't fit each other in style. One has only stroke, one has shadow and one has outer glow. You have black background with see thru opacity, you have gray background without opacity. You have yellowish box where the selection is (Attack) and red arrow to point the current player. 

It looks horrible. I'd suggest a whole re-do where you match all of the styles and colours together.

Example:

[​IMG]
    Here is a great post by Archeia breaking down the battlesystem UI: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/20244-too-many-battle-options-a-bad-thing/?p=195630

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2015
    Chaos Avian likes this.
  13. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Hmmm, I do prefer if actor battlers won't block the enemy battlers. Also, I do prefer removing that white bar on the right and just use the red arrow. And do you really need the gray background? Seems like it would look better without it actually.

Also the font spacing in that 90 seems to be so large. It would be better if the spacing is the same for all numbers instead of what I suspect which is the space increases if there are less digits.

Chaos Avian likes this.
  14. mlogan

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Ace - The office is better, but still pretty bare. If you don't want to reduce the size at all, see what else you can put in - plants or other things. I know it's difficult with just the RTP, but there are some things available.

As for the pub - I like the area with the tables pretty well, but you should consider the fact that you've blocked a lot of walking space by having the chairs back to back. If the player wants to investigate the piano, they have to go around all that instead of a more direct path through the tables.

The kitchen, again, is too big a bunch of empty wasted space, as is where the inn keeper is. You could easily condense those, putting the inn keeper in front of the kitchen area and access the kitchen area from the left side. Or bring the kitchen down and make a small inn room behind it - because, you have an inn, but no rooms - unless they are up the stairs?

@Chaos - I agree that the menu has too many conflicting styles. I would rework it to have a more cohesive feel. Also, if the bust is there during battles, I would reduce the size, but maybe it is there just for selection purposes?

15. AceOfAces_Mod

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    EternalShadow likes this.
  16. KDS

KDS Swaglord Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    been spending some time on my game these last couple of days (finally :D ) and I'v been doing some mapping , I usually do small maps with alot of detail but decided to do something else for a change. here is a "big" map ( compared to what I usually do ) of a lab / base kind of thingie it's not done yet though :p

[​IMG]
    And this is how it looks like in-game :)

[​IMG]

RocketKnight likes this.
  17. mlogan

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    KDS - I like the layout and all, but it needs STUFF! lol, it's empty!

18. KDS

KDS Swaglord Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    lol thanks , it's not done yet like I said :D

19. Schlangan

Schlangan A madman with a computer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    While I was in the process of rechecking all my maps, I decided to try something with a lighting test in an attic, where the light is supposed to come from a window at the bottom wall. But I'm not really sure of the result. Any comment ?

[​IMG]

20. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Schlangan

It looks more like the light is starting a tile or so in from the window.  Also the edges are far too sharp; you need to blur them more.  The angles are also not equal, and I would have expected them to be.  Maybe the whole light is angling out too widely.  You tend to get that shape light only in old houses with very, very thick walls where the opening has been cut at an angle to allow light in, but keep arrows out. I also do not see why the shadow behind the boxes gets wider too.

Schlangan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.