Game & Map Screenshots 7

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Jul 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Tags:
  1. Demiqas

Demiqas Veteran Veteran

I'd say that you should try to get colors that work better together, it will start to look a lot more pleasant.

You may also want to change the contrast/brightness/hue of those carts to make them fit in more with the rest of the tiles

Other than that all I can notice is that it's too empty and that's pretty much it.

2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @strawfairy

I don't think the windows and door fit with the style and colouring of that house.  They look very modern and glossy, with bright wood which clashes with the softer colour and tone of the timbers in the house and the window in the roof.  I know you can get modern windows in an older house in RL, but it often doesn't look good.

I would also edit the window in the roof.  It suddenly switches to pink brick.

The colour of the carts just looks wrong, too bright and perky. 

@A-Moonless-Night

You have created a perspective problem for yourself on the first map.  You have put a substantial tree just one tile forward from the wall (top right), but that would leave nothing like enough space for the branches on the back of the tree.  You have, therefor, flattened the image, rather than given it depth.  The one to the left of it is an extra tile forward and so works.  I suggest you do the same thing with the one on the right.

There is the same sort of problem with the tree on the top right corner of the house on the second map (the one just behind the sprite).  The way it is placed it is both higher up than the the house (some of its branches are not visible) and at the same time, the base of the trunk appears to be slightly lower than the end of the house.

Having what looks like a city wall only one brick thick looks odd, and somewhat unstable.

Other than that, nice looking maps.

3. StrawberrySmiles

StrawberrySmiles The Talking Fruit Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    At least I'm getting somewhere..!

I'm really terrible with colors. I can edit things though, I'd just need advice.

Thanks for the help!

4. blueperiod

blueperiod At night above our sleeping heads Veteran

First Language:
    English/Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Here's a text-based RPG I'm working on with some other folks.

You create a character and depending on the choices you make the game plays out differently (i.e you'll have different relationships with different characters). There are a number of alternate pathways that the story can take. There's also a sanity meter and you will be haunted by demons if things get bad enough for you. It's inspired by Harry Potter and HP Lovecraft and was also heavily influenced by the game Sunless Sea. 

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2015
    Faye Valentine likes this.
  5. AceOfAces_Mod

AceOfAces_Mod Engineering to infinity! Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    1ST revision:

Στιγμιότυπο οθόνης (69).png

6. King Gerar

King Gerar Sword of the Morning Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @blueperiod: I d'ont like Harry Potter, but liked the concept. :)

@AceOfAces_Mod: Your map is a bit... basic. Try not to do too symmetrical houses and vary its forms and positions. The river would be nice distort a bit too.

Well, a map from my project. The tiles and design are made by me.

[​IMG]

7. Banquo

Banquo scoundrel Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @King Gerar:

From what I can see these tiles look very pretty! Of course I had to check out your facebook page for more pretty screenshots, but it looks like the games webpage is empty. Still, I love low saturated tiles that give games a slightly darker vibe than most JRPGs. The mapping is very well done, too. Just a few things:

- The crates look like they are on top of the wall of the house to the right.

- The shadow on the stairs in ther center should be one tiles longer (upwards). Look at the shadow of the balustrades. It's hard to explain, do you know what I mean?

- The shadow for the houses in the center and to the bottom left are broader than the higher house to the upper right.

I'd like to see more of it. Will you open a thread for your game?

@AceOfAces_Mod:

It still looks to monotonous. Try to vary with the placement of your houses, the paths and the river. Add more details, think of what purpose each house fulfils. There could be a blacksmith, a stable, a pup, a fence, a mediciner or a proper gatehouse. As it is a town of corsairs it would also make sense to have it next to the sea, with a harbour (if your corsairs are actually seafaring guys in your games world).

8. King Gerar

King Gerar Sword of the Morning Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I appreciate the comment and tips, Banquo.

In the boxes, you're right. I will try to put something to make clear that they aren't over the wall, haha.

The shadows still I have to review the whole map, because it's not completely finished. Missing some events, NPCs, some objects, etc., but I will pay attention to the points that you mentioned.

I plan to open the thread yes, but when I'll have a demo with the game in English too. For now I'm doing in Portuguese, because it is easier for me.

9. RaZzi

RaZzi My Peculiar Brother Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    A-Moonless-Night: I love the cliffs around the lake!

10. Candacis

Candacis Pixel Pusher Restaff

First Language:
    German
    @acesoface:

your map looks very blocky and plain. I would advise you to look at the sample maps that come with the rpg maker to see how you could make some simple town maps. The houses on your map look all the same, maybe add one more wall and roof variant. Try to add some decoration, some windows, plants, barrels and boxes for the houses, too.

I just had the urge to map a simple home, done in the editor:

[​IMG]

Bourgeoise, Demiqas, Myst88 and 6 others like this.
  11. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Candacis: a good example of how size should be dealt with when mapping an interior map.

Was it all done in the editor? There must have been a lot of tweaking for the tilesets, as some tiles don't allow this placement.

12. Candacis

Candacis Pixel Pusher Restaff

First Language:
    German
    Yes, solely done in the editor. I made Tilesets for my simple home interiors and combined the rtp tilesets (deleted rtp stuff to make room for other tiles, moved some rtp stuff around for better placement and added D and E tilesets) with tiles from the community. Wasn't a lot of work. You just have to put in the work one time to organize the tilesets and then you're set to map several interior homes carefree  ^_^

Kes likes this.
  13. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Candacis

A very good example, imo, of how a few minutes with your tile set will save hours of work doing a parallax map.  The other advantage, as you say, is that they are then available for several maps, not just one.  The only thing I would tweak a little more is the coffee pot (or is it a tea pot?) which needs to go up a pixel or so two as it looks like its going to fall off the end of the table.

14. xXTragic_AngelXx

xXTragic_AngelXx Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    [​IMG]

This was made by Dom, who does the art for my game horror. It also uses khas ultra lighting for effects.

Bourgeoise, RocketKnight and Demiqas like this.
  15. Euphony

Euphony Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Candacis, your house looks adorable. I love all the little details. Why does the bedroom floor have different wood than the rest of the house, though?

Also, I would suggest doing something like this where the planks of wood meet the ceramic tiles. [/nitpick]

[​IMG]

16. Quigon

Quigon electric boogaloo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    You know when you get that way where you've been stricken with a bunch of project block and decide to make something you've always wanted to make but never really tried because you already have a ton of other things you're working on? ;_;

Just wondering if this all looks alright for the title screen, fonts and all. The OCD in me wants to move the system text a little to the left, and the planet could do with a little bit of touching up I reckon.

[​IMG]

esby likes this.
  17. LTN Games

LTN Games Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @TragicAngel - I love those tiles.

@Quiogon - That looks great as well, you could leave it untouched. Although and idea is to put Commands in a stair like formation, but really its unecesary.

18. BCj

BCj Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    What system font is that? The one you use for New Game?

19. Panda

Panda Level 15 Fluffy Bear Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Not content with my previous portion of town, I bulldozed the entire thing and started fresh.

[​IMG]

Shadows continue to be the bane of my existence, but I think they turned out alright for this map. I tried to give the more intricate parts of the map extra detail, and added some extra lighting effects such as shading around the borders. I also gave the map much more open space than its previous iteration, as the last one felt just a little too narrow and cluttered.

PandaMaru, flirion, Ruby and 5 others like this.
  20. StrawberrySmiles

StrawberrySmiles The Talking Fruit Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nice town! You make it look easy! Those sunbeams might be too strong, though. o.o

Instead of being hung up town exploration, I decided to just go ahead and get to the actual first dungeon.

I feel the mapping is better than my town attempt. The lighting? Not so much. o.o

[​IMG]

SOC and Kyuukon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.