Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Strawfairy:

Light is rarely pure white like yours, especially when you use a flame. Try with a more yellow hue and blur more the edge, it should look better.

Demiqas

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Nice town! You make it look easy! Those sunbeams might be too strong, though. o.o

Instead of being hung up town exploration, I decided to just go ahead and get to the actual first dungeon.

I feel the mapping is better than my town attempt. The lighting? Not so much. o.o
Make the lights radius bigger, make it slitghtly less bright and add a tint to it. Also the placement of it kindof looks off. Try to get them into the center of the lamps

Myst88

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Try as I might I just can't seem to get the light/shadows right. Any suggestions would be more then welcome.

ViIDgsi.png

Banquo

scoundrel
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Myst88:

That looks very pretty and atmospheric actually! I'd leave it like this!

Euphony

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Panda: Maybe it's just me, but I feel like sunlight shouldn't be seen in beams like that on an RM map. It might work for a heavily wooded area where trees are scattering the light, but in a clear, open town it seems kind of...off. I think your map is nice enough on its own that it doesn't need any effects over it anyway.

Quigon

electric boogaloo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This took me...so long. But hey, at least I made a bunch of tiles! It's meant to be an underwater lab in a futuristic setting, where some dodgy stuff has happened.

proteus.png

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Xeno_Salazar

This is difficult to judge from a static screen shot, as it may look quite different when animated in game, but at the moment those lights look harsh and, for the size of the radius of light that they throw, too bright.  You also need to think a bit more about what they will do to surrounding objects and their shadows.

For example, the tree bottom right still has the shadows around the roots and under the branches on the sides facing the light.  (edit - actually that appears to be true for all tress.)  There appears to be a light at the apex of the ornamental arch.  This should eliminate the wall shadow at the top and makes the sharp shadow under the arch itself at least questionable.  You have patches of shadow where the light does not fall; yet your flat roofs look too well lit.  That's part of the reason your overall lighting doesn't look quite convincing, independently of the questions around the individual lights.

For your path, I would expect the ground to be worn under the top arch as well as under the bottom one, as all foot traffic must pass that way.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Quigon:

A submarine lab, with a view on lighted building?

Are you looking for a Bioshock feeling or is that a mistake?

Also the building shape matched the era for Bioshock, but if your game is set in a futuristic world, they would rather build domes to better withstand the water pressure.

Banquo

scoundrel
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Quigon:

This feels so much like Rapture... It looks very cool and creepy! Are these really tiles? I can't make out a grid.

@Xeno_Salazar:

Very atmospheric as well! The only thing I'd change is the bottom part of the cliffs. There are a few stones now that hover in the air (not the background), a quick edit of the tiles should do the trick.

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
2nd revision

Στιγμιότυπο οθόνης (3).png

4th revision?

Στιγμιότυπο οθόνης (24).png

Xeno_Salazar

War Mage
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks guys. Yeah, the shadows and such are basically automatic from tile design and the way Kahs' works, I'll definitely have to do some editing there. The lights are using the base settings of Arevulopapo's particles so it shouldn't be too much work (I hope) to tone them down a bit

@Aces: The second map has a decent basic design I think. Problems I see are that the curtain behind the piano opens to a wall, and the rooms on the right could stand a few more items (boxes of food and cupboards for the kitchen, papers and maybe a small desk for the room with the bookshelf). The issue with the top map are all of the buildings look exactly the same. I'm not a big fan of having them in straight lines either, but that might make sense for a city. But the certainly need some variety, if not some different wall and roof design/color, definately different sizes and shapes. Also some basics for the area: a road or path between buildings, some items that fit the setting (barrels, wood piles, boxes of supplies), and some indicators of that the top building is(if it's a church, some stained glass/a steeple, if it's a barracks, some weapons, armor and shields, etc.). Same with the building on the far right, and that empty space in front needs to be filled up.The stream is too uniform, making it two tiles wide in some places I think would help it out. 

@Quigon: I was thinking the same thing as cabfe. I think the tone it sets nice, but you said it's underwater and there is a...cityscape behind it? Seems weird unless of course that's where it's meant to be, but then those buildings don't quite look like something you'd find underwater, imo.

Quigon

electric boogaloo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Nothing ever good happens at noodle shops in the rain~

Untitled-2%20copy.png
@Everyone - yeah Bioshock was kind of an inspiration, though I kinda want to do as much as possible to avoid it looking too much like it - think I need to sci-fi it up a bit more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Strashiner

Ambitious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
34hc21e.png

I made this on my own today, one of the maps for the demo.

I need thoughts.

:D

n1chz4.png

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Strashiner :

I like the grass, the dirt path and the trees, they are very well done. Now I'm not sure about the ladder (or is it stairs ?). It seems to somehow float in front of the cliff, probably due to the lack of shadows on it. And finally, the pool of blood (red paint ?) also seem to levitate over the grass. it should normally blend more with it.

Sennie

Demon Slayer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello,

I don't usually show off my maps that much but as I intend to release my game next year I suppose I might as well start getting some feedback now :) My two maps are below. I'm currently using them in my game (A Quest Through Time). The first one I designed a few months ago but the second "snow" one I made only today :)

If you find the time, please tell me what you think :)

A Quest Through Time 1.png

A Quest Through Time 2.png

Matthew.

Euphony

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Sennie: The maps are pretty basic, but nice! One thing I noticed is that the grass doesn't transition to the sand--it just kind of ends. I think there should be a way to use the autotiles so that there's a smoother transition from grass to beach.

I actually managed to move stuff around in the menu without blowing anything up omg so proud of myself.

2swYTSJ.png
Mwahaha now I don't have to pay someone to draw faces my genius knows no bounds.

Aoi Ninami

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This is the map I've been working on today, Kiriyama Mansion:

KiriyamaM.jpg

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I suggest that you shift-click map the carpets so that they appear to run behind the bottom walls. This will help give depth to the maps. That kitchen table is so big no one will be able to reach the middle without a big stretch.

Some of the rooms seem somewhat empty. Why is there a big sealed jar in the middle of the music room?

There are several nic touches, and the overall layout is interesting, but I think it would be improved by making each room a little bit smaller, so curing the strangely empty appearance I mentioned, or you fill them with more stuff, but that can be tricky to do without putting in things which don't fit, like that jar. I can see what you are trying to do with that staircase, but I don.t think it works. Each tile represents about 3 feet in lenght, using the wide of a bed as a guide. That staircase is, therefore, massively long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Finally working actively on Tundra! I'd like to share my wife's WIP art for the starting map and a rough draft of one of the later characters, Katrina. She's very eager to hear any feedback you might have!1623790662347.png
Got my first vax today, arm is a bit numb, but nothing odd so far. :kaopride:
dYOm9IY.jpg
image_2021-06-15_212613.png
Looks a bit.....kid friendly. Then again, I suppose that does with with a lot of retro themes... Crap, already spotted a flaw xD
What a stupid week so far! I was really short on sleep yesterday thanks to my back hurting and not falling asleep fast enough, now today I am 2 hours late for work because my damn alarm clock changed from the alarm setting, to the radio setting which I always keep muted.
I introduced "booby trap" as another indirect way to fight supernatural threats in the game.
But, some of my players are using it to blow up random citizens on the street.
Not sure how "creative" they can go with it. :kaojoy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnitedStars111