Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bella, her home and all the assets involved are now finished.

Game_2015_10_14_13_48_25_47.png

This screenshot was a nightmare to take since she keeps rocking back and forth in the rocking chair and sometimes her face emote blinks.

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Tuome - I like how you have arranged the furnishings. It looks very natural.

lol @ screenshot

Demiqas

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses

This screenshot was a nightmare to take since she keeps rocking back and forth in the rocking chair and sometimes her face emote blinks.
I may not be an expert in thermodynamics but I don't think a furnace next to a fully frozen wall would work that well.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Why not, indeed!  Nice map, great atmosphere.

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I may not be an expert in thermodynamics but I don't think a furnace next to a fully frozen wall would work that well.
It would actually.

fire_place.jpg

Snow and ice walls around live fire, candles and such. It's all about how you build the snow shelter, then it's actually quite warm inside so it can withstand levels of heat.

Also notice, there's a layer of brick just on the spot behind where the furnace is at to help handle the heat even more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@GrandmaDeb: Great progress! I agree with the others that you should make the street bigger and place some houses accross the street. I think, it would be enough, if one would only see roofs on the other street or only the upper part of houses. I would also put down some street lamps. And I'm assuming you are adding shadows to the houses in the end?

I thought I'd post a map I made in the editor with Vexed new sewer tiles for the Pop! style. The tiles are available in member+ right now (a whole bunch of them plus with a whole project on how to set up puzzles with it!):

YNGP2AS.png

sealofgold_zpsy1btkseo.png

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Candacis: Really impressive map, and those tile look terrific.

Now I feel embarrased about posting my own sewer.  :/

q9aBD5x.png

One question: should I keep the moss? I'm kinda thorn ab ut it.

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You should rather use the moss as an autotile that does not appear that regularly on your tiles. Apart from that, I'd advise you to add a fog to get a better effect with the torches.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Nirwanda

One thing that might help would be to reduce the brightness of your ceiling tile.  It's glistening away as if it were crystalline and catching sunlight, which is not the sort of ambiance you want for a sewer.  Another might be to have the tiniest suggestion of a shadow under the bridge and perhaps along the left edge of the water/liquid/let's not go there, in order to give a bit of depth.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Nirwanda - I think it looks pretty good. It's just so much green. I'm not sure the backstory, but I'd maybe consider playing around with hue/saturation to at least make it different greens to break it up some. Also, for some reason I'm bothered by the placement of the torches. They feel scattered about. I would think big torches like that would be placed more intentionally and perhaps symmetrically. But, it also begs the question, why are there big torches like that in a sewer? I would think small wall torches would make more sense.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A

Game_2015_10_14_13_48_25_47.png

So, uh, how'd they get into bed? Climbing over? :p

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You should rather use the moss as an autotile that does not appear that regularly on your tiles. Apart from that, I'd advise you to add a fog to get a better effect with the torches.
Yeah, it's probably a good idea to use it sparingly. Hmm I haven't thought about adding fog, I'll try it and see how it turns out. Thank you!

@Nirwanda

One thing that might help would be to reduce the brightness of your ceiling tile.  It's glistening away as if it were crystalline and catching sunlight, which is not the sort of ambiance you want for a sewer.  Another might be to have the tiniest suggestion of a shadow under the bridge and perhaps along the left edge of the water/liquid/let's not go there, in order to give a bit of depth.
I've never made a tileset edit (the one I'm using was made by FBU), but it's true that it looks way too shiny. I'll see if I can darken it without, you know, ruining it. :p

The shadow thing is something more easily doable, I'll probably have to manually add the shadows since the autoshadow would probably be too big. Thank you for your advice.

@Nirwanda - I think it looks pretty good. It's just so much green. I'm not sure the backstory, but I'd maybe consider playing around with hue/saturation to at least make it different greens to break it up some. Also, for some reason I'm bothered by the placement of the torches. They feel scattered about. I would think big torches like that would be placed more intentionally and perhaps symmetrically. But, it also begs the question, why are there big torches like that in a sewer? I would think small wall torches would make more sense.
It does look very, very green. >_> (also, there's no backstory behind it, I just liked the look of the tiles)

You mean changing the hue of the tiles? I guess I could try, I'm not sure how it'll come out though.

I feel the same way about the torches, though there's some rhyme to their placement: they're placed at junction points: one is placed next to the entrance, another next to a bridge, and the last one next to the makeshift pathway made out of a cracked wall. I'll try to place them more symetrically and see how it turns out. About the wall torches, if I find some nice looking ones I'll replace the rtp ones.

Thanks for the through feedback. :)

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Celianna has some good torches in her parralax set, the exterior. I think even the ones in stands here might look a little more appropriate. http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/22-celiannas-parallax-tiles/?hl=celianna

Also, if you link the tiles, I could see about playing around with them. Again, it's not bad, I'd just mix up the colors a bit. If you did like a gray stone floor, and put moss over that in spots, even that would help.

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Celianna has some good torches in her parralax set, the exterior. I think even the ones in stands here might look a little more appropriate. http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/22-celiannas-parallax-tiles/?hl=celianna

Also, if you link the tiles, I could see about playing around with them. Again, it's not bad, I'd just mix up the colors a bit. If you did like a gray stone floor, and put moss over that in spots, even that would help.
Thank you, those torches do look really good.

I feel like I would've imposing on you if I asked you to do something like that. If you REALLY want to do it, I won't stop you, but don't go out of your way for me. I'll see if I can make the edits myself.

http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/595-pack-of-tiles-2-includes-pack-1-25mb/

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Unfortunately, I tried to download them, but that site kept trying to install software on my computer, so it was a nope. But I really think if you just combined it with other tiles to break it up a bit, it would help a lot.

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's an edited version. I took off the green screen tint, gave the ground a reddish hue, desaturated the ceiling and tried Celianna's torches. (aren't they a little on the small side?)

I still haven't gotten around trying out adding lightning/fog, nor giving a shadow to the bridge and edges of walkways.

KE7FkID.png

It does look more interesting but I feel like something is missing. (maybe I should play around with the tint more)

Anyway, a million thanks to everyone who made recommendations.

BTW, mlogan, yeah 4shared is the worst file hosting site ever. You need to create an account to make it more tolerable. I hosted this particular set on mediafire if you're curious to look at it:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/k7cj83g404h1kn5/Green_Sewer.rar

DoctorArtist

Time Splicer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Working on a Downtown area, with a Convention Center and a hotel that is also hosting parts of the convention. 

downtown_wip_resized_by_thedoctorartist-d9d6w0g.png

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Nirwanda - Ahhh, green screen tint, that is quite likely what was making everything look so uniform. I think it looks a ton better now. It's still very green, but much more varied. And thanks for the new link, it looks like there are some good tiles here. *scurries off to hoard* And no, I think Cel's torches look much more natural in the setting. But that might just be my opinion.

@DoctorArtist - Overall you've got some nice maps started. Those interiors though - you've got some huge empty spaces. I almost justified the top one by telling myself it was like a ballroom/dance area, but then I saw the lower one. It is just too, too much empty space.

Also, the streets confuse me a bit, it looks like there are three lanes and typically, unless the middle lane is marked a turn lane, there are lanes in multiples of two. At least, in my experience. And the car driving on the line looks odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Phew! logged back. Seems I was too occupied with 3D learning (yeah for RPGM purposes) creating IRL space, trying to grow catnip, dealing with health and DC is good. (so MrC) ^^
Currently trying to add items in the same style as Kyrise's excellent icons. I like having a large variety of items :3 KyriseandMe.PNG
Create MiniMaps, Sprites for MV Enemies, & Aethereal Plane Battlebacks | RPG Maker News #74

Vtubers Vs MOTHER.png

This might be my next project. You like it?
I'm off to search the master script list for my skill issue. HOORAY! FUN!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zakariadu78