Euphony

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Looks pretty nice, Slim! The one thing that bothers me, though--and this is the tileset, not you--is that there are so many different shades of gray. The statues and pillars are straight-up gray while the walls are a cool, greenish gray and the floor tiles and banisters are a warm, pinkish gray. I feel like with some simple recoloring, you could unify the tiles and the map would really come together.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Boldpaste2: did you upscale the tiles? They look pixelated whereas the sprites are not, which makes them pop too much.

boldpaste2

The Dragon Heretics
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Boldpaste2: did you upscale the tiles? They look pixelated whereas the sprites are not, which makes them pop too much.
Yea, I up scaled and sharpened them. Nothing I can really do about that.

boldpaste2

The Dragon Heretics
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
There is something you can do about it. Use different sprites.
The only reason I built this was to see what I can do with parallaxing in MV. The sprites were already there and I just used them. I don't intend to make this into an actual game or anything.

DarknessFalls

Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
The only reason I built this was to see what I can do with parallaxing in MV. The sprites were already there and I just used them. I don't intend to make this into an actual game or anything.
parallaxing in mv doesn't work right now we need a script for exporting and using the new images in the editor.

I also have no concept of mapping inside the editor, parallaxing doesnt work :( there are no scripts and this is what its like to export a map from the editor (we need a script to export maps...)

fsYJZrz.png

they don't export out to there full size. I also don't like this map >.> its not meant to be anything special 

Last edited by a moderator:

boldpaste2

The Dragon Heretics
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
parallaxing in mv doesn't work right now we need a script for exporting and using the new images in the editor.

I also have no concept of mapping inside the editor, parallaxing doesnt work :( there are no scripts and this is what its like to export a map from the editor (we need a script to export maps...)

they don't export out to there full size. I also don't like this map >.> its not meant to be anything special 
i Built a plugin, one that can display pictures on different layers with the ability to lock them or scroll them. (which made me be able to parallax and fog at the same time.) But to be honest, every time I touch rpg maker now, I just get angry, I think I am just going to retire from all rpg makers all together.

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses

I also have no concept of mapping inside the editor, parallaxing doesnt work
''I think it is a very pleasant space. If you could parallax or if it was worth it to make events, I'd say please add some shadow on those set back sections to help create the illusion of them being further back. =]
But I think you are smarter to wait for full parallaxing. =]

And if the setbakcs are two tiles high, I think you don't want that open crate to have another crate looking like it is on the tile behind?

But the composition is nice.

I am feeling very un-mapping-talented, but I am determined to get every map the way I want it and I am going to ask you all to join in my suffering. =/

Here is my first class airplane map. It is aa airline from a very rich country, and is supposed to look Arab and rich.

I tried to get the seats to look like they "go" but now they "GLOW" - is it as bad as I think?

Please and thanks!

airplane_zps4oqvh8cb.png
airplane%20two_zpsnrjcdsdr.png

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@GrandmaDeb

Yes, I'm afraid to say it is as bad as you think, at least the blue ones on the right are, imo.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yes, the blue color is too saturated.

DarknessFalls

Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
i Built a plugin, one that can display pictures on different layers with the ability to lock them or scroll them. (which made me be able to parallax and fog at the same time.) But to be honest, every time I touch rpg maker now, I just get angry, I think I am just going to retire from all rpg makers all together.
i think you should too if you get angry :(

''I think it is a very pleasant space. If you could parallax or if it was worth it to make events, I'd say please add some shadow on those set back sections to help create the illusion of them being further back. =]

But I think you are smarter to wait for full parallaxing. =]

And if the setbakcs are two tiles high, I think you don't want that open crate to have another crate looking like it is on the tile behind?

But the composition is nice.
set back section? You mean the houses? Ace adds shadows but the tiles over ride them (god I need to be able to parallax).

But ya its a throw away map, I tried to export it to parallax (before the trees and flowers everything other then the "houses") but the image was too small, and theres no script that allows me to parallax :(  

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I never actually spent time designing map since the day I purchased ACE, so I am curious about how people think about this.

The effect I am pursuing is similar to what Celianna's have for her preview for Ancient Dungeon base pack.

screenshot2.png
What I have so far looks like this:

pub2_zpshchl1o9b.jpg

After adding some NPC (including event NPC) and extra barrels for decorations at the bottom wall

1_zpswd7h9qvg.jpg

I changed the piano tile so that it comes with a seat now.

Edit:  (before I modify the piano tileset)

1_zpsnxkqdvvg.jpg

After:

1_zpsbnwnimw1.jpg
I am curious about how do people think about what I have so far.

What else should I do to get that local tavern/pub feel?

I am thinking of adding some sort of bear rug (if i can find one).

For the lighting, I created a png image with all the glow and lay it over the map. I kept it still using Random Algebra script.

Personally I think I might be a long way from over with the lighting. The current lighting seems to be somewhat lacking.

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That blonde haired (girl?) seems to be in a lot of trouble.

Well, I never used parallax ligthing, but it seems that what you're missing is darkness, not light. Your map, while nice looking lacks enought contrast to make the lights stand out, imo.

BTW, I like your piano. ;)

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@GrandmaDeb

Yes, I'm afraid to say it is as bad as you think, at least the blue ones on the right are, imo.

Yes, the blue color is too saturated.

I am curious about how do people think about what I have so far.
@Sinweaver - I like the general feel of it - do you think the piano looks too shiny and new? I wonder if we could get a more rustic looking one somewhere.

@Ksjp and Cabfe - thanks for honest answers and help.

Is this better, or not enough change?

airplane%20three_zpspvzfyn3w.png

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@GrandmaDeb

Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately I don't think I have seen such a piano. I can always replace it with crates and whatnot, or I can always try to reduce the shiny-ness (but I doubt that will help much). 

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@GrandmaDeb: it looks much better now. The colors blend naturally.

There's something else that bothers me now: the board or whatever it's called between rows of seats.

They are far from the seats looking at them and they seem to float, or rather, the bottom part is cut.

KaYsEr

Koruldia
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Grandma Deb - It looks much better to me.

I've been playing around with MV and its graphics.  It's definitely a fun style to work with.  :)

test%20screenie_zpszsek5cf7.png
You are getting good results, this tile system is much better indeed.

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@GrandmaDeb: it looks much better now. The colors blend naturally.

There's something else that bothers me now: the board or whatever it's called between rows of seats.

They are far from the seats looking at them and they seem to float, or rather, the bottom part is cut.
I guess I can edit them to extend a little father up. I was trying to show a small table peeking out from behind the seats in front to show that passengers were being fed elegantly. =D

But you are right - when you look up close you see that the table should be showing between the arms of the seat in front and it is not.

Custom tilesets and edits are turning my game into a complete maze! Thanks for the feedback. =D I'll work with it a bit.

KaYsEr

Koruldia
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
N/A
Got my RPG MAKER MV preorder download too.
I'm testing what it’s made of since yesterday:

klimbotest_mv_mini_125.jpg
I converted some gfx of my Korulimbo-Zone from Koruldia to try the chipset-system, and since I originally made those tiles @64x64 pixels it's easy to reduce @48 to have some fun. ;)

klimboscreen1_156.png

klimboscreen2_364.png

Ok I doubt it's possible to get the render I have with parallax mapping (using VX ACE on those 2 screenshots), but for a small mobile game it'd be the way to go. (chipset are smaller to download after all)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I made a drawing of Moss
RPG Maker Games Critique with Studio Blue: Militibus Elementis Redux starts now! Watch live!

I'm so freaking pissed right now i want to scream and rant and rave
It's a new month, and it's a new start! Let's go guys! There is one song I am listening today that is making me really happy and thinking that I can do anything... I don't know why but J-Pop have this kind of vibe and I love hahahaha
If you want something to bring you up here is a little tip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akirra95