Game & Map Screenshots 7

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Jul 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Tags:
  1. nightwalker

nightwalker Villager Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Very nice tiles and map design, beautiful. Most people can think that 32x32 to 48x48 is not a thing, but in relative numbers, it's 50% larger.

2. Sinweaver

Sinweaver Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Made the piano darker and replaced the rug since the red one does not suit non-royal setting

[​IMG]

Marquise* likes this.
  3. Sapphire Luna

Sapphire Luna Villager Member

I'll admit right away that I'm not good at map design. I made the jump from XP to MV and finding it hard to adapt. I hate how MV does not have true map layers like XP. For example, I can put a roof from the C tiles, and then if I take grass from the A tiles, the grass will replace the roof if I draw over it. In XP that would simply not happen. Even among the A tiles, there are items that go below or above one another depending on which one you draw first and that's a bit confusing.

I also find that the tilesets look really flat. The front of items looks good, but the sides look bad, and that's when sides exist. Most stuff only has a front and top view. I dunno, I just feel like the XP tilesets had more of a 3D feel to them. Also, everything feels so tiny. I try to import XP tiles into MV, but they came out too blurry. Also, is there a way to select an area and moving it? Like let's say my house is too low, can I select the area and drag it up?  That was possible in XP too...

Anyways, here's the maps. Please help me get a better hang of MV.

map.jpg map2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2015
    CriticalGames likes this.
  4. PhoenixFire

PhoenixFire Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This is probably going to look pretty crappy compared to some of the amazing art in this thread, but some feedback on how to improve is always appreciated:

[​IMG]

KaYsEr likes this.
  5. NeoFantasy

NeoFantasy Building Worlds Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    These are actually pretty good, I agree with the xp tiles had more depth to them.

Edit: That house on the bottom looks a bit odd though, might wanna fix that, and the everything in the house is cluttered in one room A: it looks weird and B: it's claustrophobic, make a second room for the bed and put the bookshelf in there with it.

6. wizaerd

wizaerd Adventurer Member

First Language:
    English
    The first one isn't too bad, albeit small.. The second one though?  How can I put this tactfully and diplomatically?  Ugh... That expresses it quite well.

Ok, so for both of them, remember details go a long way towards good looking maps.  They're both awfully sparse, practically empty.  The house, add some rooms... Also, this might be preference but it doesn't look as if anything is up against the wall... Move them up a tile, covering up the lower half of the wall and baseboard... Look at some of the included interior sample maps for an idea of how to create interiors.

7. NeoFantasy

NeoFantasy Building Worlds Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Wizaerd: Are you sure that it's not just one room?

Edit: Just saw the oven.

8. PrkchpsNaplsaws

PrkchpsNaplsaws Grandmaster Newb Veteran

First Language:
    English
    i love the outside view, very very nice.  The inside looks really nice, tool, but to my eye, it seems too...empty?  (having trouble thinking of the word)

The big blue carpet seems to be too absent of "stuff" and everythinhg seems to be placed 'around" it.  The wall space might need more decor to fill it...i'm just not sure - it just seems too empty to me.

9. Sapphire Luna

Aha thanks. I agree they look empty but how to not overdo it either? I don't want to add too much useless decorations. But I'll try again~

10. CriticalGames

CriticalGames Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Not to go too off-topic, but I just wanted to say that I'm in the same boat (jumping from XP to MV) and I completely agree - the removal of an easy-to-use layering system was the reason I never switched to VX. I honestly don't understand why they removed it. The automatic layering system seems very random at times, and I've encountered the same issue (overwriting 2 tiles, when I just wanted to overwrite a particular layer) many times already. 

Sapphire Luna likes this.
  11. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That 2nd map...you have an 30 x 18 foot room map there, that's why it feels so bad. Easy way to get that...if you assume the bed is 6 feet by 3 feet, that means when mapping the inside, you should assume each tile is 3 feet by 3 feet. I counted 10 tiles across and 6 tiles up/down (not counting walls), so hence the 30 x 18.

Try shrinking it to be a more realistic size. That will help a lot. Look at your room, or measure your room, and that will give you an idea of how big to make a room.

Sapphire Luna likes this.
  12. Sapphire Luna

Yes! I really don't get why they're not bringing back the 3 truly separated layers ;_; It's also my reason not to try VX. And to be honest the only reason I got MV was because it can export to mobile. But now I'm hearing exporting to mobile is not so great so I'm wondering if I wasted my money...

CriticalGames likes this.
  13. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Merging with Game & Map Screenshots Thread.  This is a dedicated place to get feedback on your designs.

14. Sapphire Luna

Sorry, I had not seen this one.

15. Euphony

Euphony Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Kayser, niiiice. Getting A Link to the Past vibes from the big log you can walk through. 8D

KaYsEr likes this.
  16. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    I think this is the place to ask (even thought I think I might once had addressed it in another tread in the awe of a big map and don't recall if I had an answer)...

You folks seems to be able to do full shots of your maps and not only the section that shows on screen, how do you do that?

Also, I've noticed in RPGMaker VX Ace the sample maps were all common picture files, I really am intrigued as to know if the two are linked? Also, I noticed those sample maps were all editable in the software like if we made them from scratch. Is that the same process? Would it be possible for me to do a full poster of one large map without stitching everything down in Photoshop?

17. DeviTheHuman

DeviTheHuman (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @PhoenixFire - I recommend using the shadow tool to put shadows underneath the buildings to enhance the illusion that they're sitting above the ground.

18. Sinweaver

First Language:
    English
    About your first question, I just take multiple screenshot and merge them together using paint for mine.

Marquise* likes this.
  19. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    That makes sens that way! Thanks.

(now... I am still intrigued by those sample maps that comes with VX Ace :p XD)

20. Sinweaver

First Language:
    English
    Since I couldn't find a bearskin rug that suits my other tilesets, I created one based off Mack's bear sprite

[​IMG]

Any thoughts on the bearskin rug or the updated map? I couldn't decide which one is better, so I included both type. I lack the artistic eye lol

[​IMG][​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.