Status
Not open for further replies.

DarknessFalls

Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@ruby, I like it but some of yuor sprites class with the colors, specifically the blue dude and the yello haired dude. there colors are too bright.

Ruby

Of the Earth
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@DarknessFalls; That's because they are all community made sprites used specifically for an event. Some of them aren't made like the RTP/whatever and clash with the other sprites. :)

Nomi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Hi guys, I just started again to work with rpg maker...my last work in Ace got paused a while. I thought now its time to come back, and maybe finish what I started. Just made this statue and intergrated into my mountain map. I hope u like my style, maybe u got some feedback? Ofc its not finished yet, just a unpolished parallax. Does the statue fit in well? Was a bit lazy there, to tired from work >.< :)

screenshot.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Round cliffs are so much better than ugly square cliffs, lol, it's not even funny.

Alright, 3 more interiors from me, these are the last ones, I swear. A church, grocery store and an inn. (the bucket of water in the church is used to wake up people who fall asleep during church service)

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Milenin:

Personally I feel that the bed should be shifted... 24 pixel(?) higher so that they look like they are placed against the wall.

The painting and the paper notes (the ones on the wall) can be lowered slightly for a more pleasing view. In real world, you'd normally put notices at an eye level is my reasoning. 

The pillars looked really weird though. The ones on top looked like they arent quite tall enough to reach the ceiling and the ones at the bottom are oriented in the wrong direction? Might be a different story if you round the top of the pillars to make them look like standalone

@Kaus:

Looks great! I think it could be better if you use the shadow pen to put in some shadows on some parts

Milennin

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Milenin:

Personally I feel that the bed should be shifted... 24 pixel(?) higher so that they look like they are placed against the wall.

The painting and the paper notes (the ones on the wall) can be lowered slightly for a more pleasing view. In real world, you'd normally put notices at an eye level is my reasoning. 

The pillars looked really weird though. The ones on top looked like they arent quite tall enough to reach the ceiling and the ones at the bottom are oriented in the wrong direction? Might be a different story if you round the top of the pillars to make them look like standalone
Yeah, I'll move the beds up a bit, might look better that way.
Lengthening the northern pillars should be easy, but I don't think there's a tile to use that rounds the pillars' tops to use for the bottom ones. Unless I'm not seeing it.

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Milennin:

Photoshop / Gimp! :D

Select the round bit and flip it vertically

And also, I forgot to mention this in my last post, but usually churches/cathedrals have long benches (they call it pew i think) instead of individual stools, i think. 

Milennin

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I want to make this game purely with MV RTP graphics, though. Just moving things around so they look finer is okay, but I'm not creating new tiles (it's all part of the "challenge"!) Moved those beds up and those paper notes down, looks a lot better already. And with the beds up half a tile, it creates more walking space for the player and adds a bit more depth to the maps.

And yes, I wanted to have benches for the church, but the RTP doesn't have any I could use. :(

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Milennin:

Ah, then you have quite a challenge ahead of you to make some things feel right xD

Look at the Inside_B tileset. They have rounded top for pillars.

As for the benches, maybe you can modify 

SF_Outside_C has benches, but personally they didnt have the right feel even if you adjust the hue/coloring.

Milennin

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's a challenge, but I know that if I start doing my own graphics I'd be working on this game a 100x longer than I would otherwise. Once you start editing and creating it's hard to stop, lol.

Yup, I tried those Inside_B pilars earlier, but they don't fit on the ones I'm using, nor do they have a tile for making them longer. Useless, lol. :(

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Milennin:

LOL. Been there, done that, and still doing it. Good luck on the challenge! Looks like you can do pretty well based on what you have made so far.

Too bad those tiles didn't fit. :\

Dungeon C pillars are divided into 3 sections. You can extend the pillar's height to suit your needs

It also has the upside down semi circle if you want to put it at the bottom wall.

Ralpf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
It's a challenge, but I know that if I start doing my own graphics I'd be working on this game a 100x longer than I would otherwise. Once you start editing and creating it's hard to stop, lol.

Yup, I tried those Inside_B pilars earlier, but they don't fit on the ones I'm using, nor do they have a tile for making them longer. Useless, lol. :(
You could use the round one at the bottom and don't show the top of the of the upper pillars since that wall is clearly taller then what you mapped.

Just a small mock-up:

Map002.png

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I am in the middle of creating one of the zone for my game and this reminded me of something.

Maybe I am fussing over tiny insignificant things. Just sharing a little pet peeve of mine when I design maps.

The stairs.

The most common way people do this is by placing some sort of wall, then slap a stair tile on it to indicate that there is a stair. My problem with that is related to the depth perception (i cant find any other way to describe this). Stairs are not ladders.

I often see people simply draw stairs like this: 2 blocks elevation + 2 blocks of stair tile (look at the brick stairs to the right). I find that even with the shadow pen, it still look odd.

Maybe they are less odd if we move the entire stair up one block (the brick stair in the middle). Although when we think about it, there's no way that stair will add up to the height of the wall (refer to the picture at the very bottom). 

When we use programs like paint to add up the elevation for a 2-tiles high cliff + 3 stair tiles:

Maybe I should stop thinking about these minor details and get some sleep  > :(

blacksmithy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
I've been working on staircases recently in my maps. (I'll post some screens later as the files are on my wife's PC.)

The "depth perception" tricks you mention worked pretty well for me when I needed a four-story "Great Stair" room for a castle design. The shadow pen really helps create that illusion of depth that you want so your stairs look natural. The fact that the stairs aren't technically as "long" as the ledges around them is fine, IMO.

Sam T. Eagle

Cooking Disaster
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Another test to see how GIMP tinted maps look. The street lights are supposed to look like they're lit up and brighter than the rest of the map, but I don't think it worked out. Should I make the map darker or the lights brighter?

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Have you tried using this kind of overlay?

Edit:

A 5-second job combining that image with your town image and I get this:

Took me longer to upload the image than it is to modify it. Imagine what you can achieve if you sit down and try to do it properly  :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Why is there so much month left at the end of money? D=
Hello humans! How goes your day in this journey of living? I hope it is good, for I am human like you, and I am feeling great! Worship the altar.
Sand is basically small rocks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soraaa510