Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This time I got a town square map. The open space is needed for NPCs and some events that will take place on this map. There is also a Winter version of the map, because I thought it was cool (get it?)

Yes, you can go ice skating on the Winter version. :D

The town square map leads to four other town districts.

Last edited by a moderator:

RitoJS

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Quite basic but good anyway.

I made those not too long ago.

I didn't take another screen for them so  we can still see few mistake.

DarknessFalls

Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@RitoJS

Your city an castle maps seems a bit to empty. mid evil cities and castles would be way more busy, more people, street vendors, people peddling wares, events, circus and so on and so forth. Your city and castle feel like theres barley any life, what life there is feels like it doesn't belong in the city, feels like they are passing through.

Your sprites seem to clash with the tile sets and color of the sets. but good job on the mapping :D just add a bit more life, a bit more activities.

@Milennin

First, the first image: the house on the left, in the middle, the window is too high, that doesn't work.

Second, the second image, house, left, middle, same issue.

The village "square" or so it seems in both images, seems way to empty, I get in winter it might be a bit empty but in the first map, the village square seems a bit too empty.

Other then that: amazing job

The_Renegade_

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Milennin

I think you should try using the pointier tree pine from the sci-fi set rather than the round one for this picture, because it's weird how the tree changes shape with the season.

It just seems like the better match.

DarknessFalls

Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Milennin

I think you should try using the pointier tree pine from the sci-fi set rather than the round one for this picture, because it's weird how the tree changes shape with the season.

It just seems like the better match.
He isnt using the scifi map sets

Sam T. Eagle

Cooking Disaster
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Sinweaver: I don't like using darkness overlays for any map that's outdoors.

SereneLunatic

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
]Hi everyone,

New to RPG Maker, started messing around with VX Ace and then moved to MV when it came out.  Was looking at Parallax BG's and figured I'd try one.  Warning - I am no artist, I just like to play around.  Anyway here is my first BG with some trees by ayene and available on devianart.  Ayene's terms of use are open for anything (personal/commercial) as long as credit is provided.  I don't care if you use this map in anything.

It fits a 24 x 16 map.

I am not really taking any requests at this time but I might if you really, really, like my work :)

I will take suggestions on new maps, or to add items to one I've already done.  I am all for constructive criticism...

!RiverWithTrees.png

!RiverWithTreesPassability.png

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Milennin

First, the first image: the house on the left, in the middle, the window is too high, that doesn't work.

Second, the second image, house, left, middle, same issue.

The village "square" or so it seems in both images, seems way to empty, I get in winter it might be a bit empty but in the first map, the village square seems a bit too empty.

Other then that: amazing job
It's empty now because it doesn't show NPCs on it yet. I need the space for some events that take place on it.

@Milennin

I think you should try using the pointier tree pine from the sci-fi set rather than the round one for this picture, because it's weird how the tree changes shape with the season. It just seems like the better match.
Don't worry, you actually don't get season switches. So if your game starts during Winter period, then it stays Winter. :)

SereneLunatic

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ahhh!  I know I messed up.  The shadows should have been on the bottom layer and I saved them with the top layer - so this is a bad map.  I will create another, similar, and make sure I get the layers done properly.

I fixed the maps so they work properly now.  You will have to set your own passability.  There is a build-in script called "Foreground" that I am using.  You essentially setup your background, passability on the background, then use something like <fgName:!RiverWithTrees> to set the foreground.  Notice the ! in front, yuou will need to save the files like that so the passability locks properly.

Kaus

The Sagittarius Bearer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Taglish
Primarily Uses
I made a parallax script for MV testing it out. here's a sample map

This time I got a town square map. The open space is needed for NPCs and some events that will take place on this map. There is also a Winter version of the map, because I thought it was cool (get it?)

Yes, you can go ice skating on the Winter version.  :D

The town square map leads to four other town districts.

You can use my Snow Trees Edit from my Resource Thread. Check it out.

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/46410-kaus-resources/

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
So I'm mapping a bit in MV, and wanted to get feedback on this.  I'm not the best mapper in the world so I'm not trying to do anything too crazy (as I think it's important for a game to have a kind of internal consistency in the quality of its maps), but just make something functional and aesthetically satisfactory.  

This is supposed to depict the inside of a complex of caves in the slums of a mountain city, that a bunch of its lower class inhabitants have turned into their living quarters.  basically the medieval equivalent of a bunch of homeless people sleeping under a freeway.

GameScreenshotShiftMapped.jpg

esby

eejit
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Jonthefox - I doesn't look like the interior of a cave. The main other issue is that your walls need a little shift clicking, but that's mainly due to the terrible way MV handles A4 tiles.

Experimenting with lighting but I'm not sure whether to progress with it or not.

Euphony

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
ESBY, looks awesome as usual! I assume the light is coming from an unseen window, not the lamp? If so, it looks nice. Keep going with it~

Kaus, I really like the idea of having trees closer to the "camera" so to speak. Gives the map more depth. The execution needs some work, though. Like I can tell that the trees on top are just flipped upside down. And where are they coming from anyway? Are we supposed to be looking through like...a hole in a big tree? If so, I'd use a different texture that looks like leaves up close, instead of just blowing up the tree tile. Side note: the reflections of the cliffs and pillars on the water is fantastic.

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Ahh you're right about the shift-mapping thank you.  Here's an update.

Yeah...At first, I tried using one of the indoor tiles as the outer background, but it just looked strange.  Maybe I'll just have to say it's cave-like but open-air.  That'd make more sense I guess anyway, who would live deep within an heavily enclosed cave. :p   You think it's fine in terms of detail though?  Not too cluttered, not too empty?

GameScreenshotShiftMapped.jpg

esby

eejit
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
You could always make a little edit like this

I think maybe increase the wall height to two tiles to make better use of the decorative tiles available and vary the walls a little to make it a bit more natural, I'd say it looks like more of a mine right now than a cave. The overlay than Sinweaver posted at the top of this page is a neat little way to add a bit more atmosphere to cave like maps. I threw together a quick map whilst trying to keep the layout and feel of yours to illustrate these points.

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
ahh gotcha, that really helps, i can't thank you enough! 

Mythologix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I hope i posted this in the right place, just wanted to show the first city I ever created its the town of Faymere for a game i am working on. I use RPG Maker MV

One picture is the city the other is the main characters house.

I am still new to this and trying to get the hang of it all, I had vx ace for awhile but never really went anywhere with it.

Map005.png

Map004.png

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@ Mythologix I really like the exterior map.  It has a very retro feel to it, reminds me of mystic quest style graphics which I personally love.  I'm no mapping expert, but the only thing I don't like about it is the size of some of the buildings seem too large to me (like, one row too high).

SquallStorm

Resident Persona 5 Hyper
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Been a long time since I posted.  This is the first screen of Wolke Forest in "Legend of the Sky Ocean"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

First Person Combat Test Video. Simply showing off a very early concept video for an open world 3D game in MV.
I spent ages to make this image and still dont like it.. How would you showcase a bunch of levels/maps in one single image?
Thank you all angels so much! I've received fanarts, fanfics, song cover, and Ko-fis and such wonderful messages already! T uT Look at this message I'm crying (Ko-fi was being mean saying it was anonymous but she was like nooo it's me and showed me).
Working on using DreamX's prefix suffix plugin to create unidentified weapons, armor and sellable loot. The weapons and armor will always draw from the highest tier you have the ability to create, keeping them relevant throughout most of the game. The loot is going to be the fun part! Let's just say I doubt I'll have any unused item entries
... I updated an enemy I drew last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetime9032