Game & Map Screenshots 7

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Jul 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Tags:
  1. PandaMaru

PandaMaru little red panda Restaff

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @KaYzEr:

It's looks really impressive!

@Amy:

So cool. ö.ö Simple style but no simple atmosphere.

[​IMG]

Samplemap for my new MV-tileset. Try to use as much tiles as possible.

2. Kaus

Kaus The Sagittarius Bearer Veteran

First Language:
    Taglish
    Nice Trees Panda :3 I love it! 

Can I include the basic tree you have there to my tileset? not the fancy one just the basic bigger tree :3 if its going to be released publicly tho.

3. dayhjawk

dayhjawk Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    OMG how did you get the actors into their own windows!!!!!

Nichmann likes this.
  4. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @dayhjawk

If you must quote a large image, please put it inside a spoiler.

That question does not belong in this thread.  Please ask it elsewhere.

5. Mettool

Mettool Weenie Hut Jr. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Here's some more pixelwork running in MV. All of this originated in 16x16 and was blown up to 48x48 to run in-engine.

I'll be revising some of the tilework, but you should still get the general idea. :)

[​IMG]

6. PandaMaru

PandaMaru little red panda Restaff

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yes ^^ No problem with me, you can add the tree if you like.

7. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    @Mettool: love the purple! The crystals are really nice.

Chat now fully implemented.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2015
  8. RoseofCrimson

RoseofCrimson Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So, I just started in MV. I am an XP user so it was a weird transition. I spent 3 days trying to get a grasp on how to make convincing maps in this engine using vanilla tiles. It's reeeallly hhhaard to make pretty maps in MV.

My shot at mountain maps.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My shot at caves.

[​IMG]

Caves are the hardest for me because there arent many vanilla MV tiles and I hate things looking empty.

I cant do "cliffs" in caves outside of XP which makes me sad. :( (( <--- that sad.

9. Fernyfer775

Fernyfer775 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Trying my hand out at paralaxxing for the first time :o

Not trying anything fancy quite yet, just messing around with the placement of shrubs and stuff off of the "grid".

DeathScene.png
    This is an early scene in my game where a village is attacked by the Imperial Army, which then leads to a war between humans and Magi.

10. Zyphli

Zyphli Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Fernyfer775:  I like how you used it to add some variety to the tree border.  And I feel sorry for those poor villagers.

A couple of maps working with my re-colored ground tiles.  I've finally gotten them to the point where I don't hate using the RTP for outdoor maps, but other opinions are welcome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Extra Credit to Celianna for the Trees and plants,  and to Thalzon for his battlers.

Fernyfer775 likes this.
  11. DarknessFalls

DarknessFalls Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Fernyfer775 - One issue the trees along the wall, with the vines and moss dont work. They seem out of place

@Zyphli - Map one, trees dont work, map two, why the blackness? it looks out of place. Maybe try water?

12. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Darkness Falls

A simple "trees don't work" doesn't tell the poster much. Could you please say why or how they don't so that the poster can come to a judgement on what, if anything, to do about your critique.

Fernyfer775 likes this.
  13. TheHarmp

TheHarmp Non-Profit Mephobiac Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    I'm awestruck over those trees, those are beautiful. Praise Odin.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2015
    PandaMaru likes this.
  14. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My game's getting ready for Steam Greenlight. As such, I'd like to show off a bit something different, the new and improved launch trailer that was improved based on feedback.

15. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @theHarmp

If you feel you absolutely must quote a large image, please put it inside spoilers.  Generally, though 

@username

your reply here

is perfectly adequate.

16. Zyphli

Zyphli Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would like to know what about the trees in the first water map doesn't work.

Is it that they are too clustered in some places (done to restrict passability to the map edges).

Or is it the lack of variety?  Since I use a parallax overlay for the upper parts of all trees to allow overlapping, I'm not limited by tiles and have considered making more shading variations between different trees (some darker, some lighter) to give some contrast between the overlaps if that would help.

I'm trying to avoid using multiple types of tree in the same map since I'm limited to basically four trees, unless it's a map where terrain is transitioning from one tree type to another.

The crack in the earth is intentional.  Quick backstory - Centuries of wizards casting Quake, Lava, and other world-breaking spells have broken the earth.  Use of these spells was banned after the last war 200 years ago, so the world is healing, but the cracks remain.  They occur at sites of great battles, and the other side of the crack is still a dead wasteland where a Demon Conjurer once lived and was defeated by the ancient wizards and their world-shattering magics.

I'm not near as comfortable mapping the world as I am buildings, so please, feedback is welcome.

17. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Zyphli

Unfortunately Darkness Falls hasn't come back to expand on what he meant.

I do have a couple of thoughts about them, though.

Colour - they are distinctly green and yellow in hue, but the ground is more blue tinged.  If you look at how the colours work in your own second map and in the map posted by PandaMaru you will see that they are much more in the same general colour range.  This makes it more harmonious to look at, and helps the map to feel organically one.

The second point is that the leaves on the trees look blurred, whereas everything else looks crisp.  This suggests that they have been resized.  When you resize something you might want to use the Sharpen tool on the images - just a touch to bring back the clearer edges.

18. jonthefox

jonthefox Veteran Veteran

trying to improve my mapping, looking for feedback.  small basic village:

forestvillage.png

19. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @jonthefox

Just as a side note, it is easier to give feedback when the image is full size because one can see it while typing.  Having only a thumbnail is a bit more awkward.

But to the matter of the map - I am not a fan of one tile high houses, I think they are very awkward and when the sprite is the same size as the entire height of the wall, they can look a bit silly.  If you used 2 tile high houses, and the windows that align down both tiles, I think you will find that your houses look better.

Every house is almost identical  which does make them a bit monotonous.  I'd vary them a little more in terms of shape.  Perhaps some variation in either the roof tiles or wall tiles.  You don't want lots of wildly different houses, that would probably look a mess, but few places are that similar until you get to modern mass produced housing.

There is no 'private' space - where do people hang their washing, do a bit of gardening, store their bits and pieces etc?  Equally, there's no 'public' space - where do people meet to chat, exchange gossip, get the news, simply pass the time of day?

No scuffed up, scruffed up bits of ground - do children never play here and wear the grass out in patches?  Do people always walk in neat straight lines?

At the moment it has a somewhat antiseptic feel to it, it doesn't look like it's lived in.  Nowhere is that perfect.

20. jonthefox

jonthefox Veteran Veteran

@ ksjp thanks for the feedback, yeah one thing i really struggle with is how to make paths...they never look natural to me and if i go too crazy then they also lose their functionality.  i wish there was a video guide on how to make good paths in towns haha.    question - you don't think the doorways in 2-tile houses look ridiculously oversized?  they're nearly twice the size of the sprites, and even though I agree the houses themselves look better, I don't know if i could get past that unless I was using larger-than-normal sized character sprites (which i'm not).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.