Game & Map Screenshots 7

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Jul 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Tags:
  1. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @jonthefox

One and a half tile high doors look fine, imo.  If you look in my edits thread here I did some for people.

For paths, the only way is to make them blobby in some fashion.  It's tricky with the default path tile, and although I have several that are more rounded, they are all recoloured and on non-default grass so they would be no good to you.  However, even if you broke them up a bit, or put in an extra path tile where you have a right angle at the moment to suggest that people cut corners (they mostly do on paths) that would help.

2. KanaX

KanaX Just being a mouse Veteran

First Language:
    Broken English.
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I have had (quite) a few complaints that my current project can get a bit too dark at times, thus preventing the players from being able to see what they need to do, or what to examine.
    So I made a simple brightness setting, that appears by default each time the player starts a new game. It can also be tweaked from the pause menu, later in the game. I didn't really want to give it too much range in value, because I tend to hide characters and items in the dark, that I don't want the player to see at first glance. But still I think it can help those who felt uncomfortable.

Bourgeoise and Kyuukon like this.
  3. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It's a good idea.  Is the whole game going to be that dark?  Because if so, even at it's lightest I was feeling eye strain from trying to see.  I could not play an entire game like that.

4. KanaX

KanaX Just being a mouse Veteran

First Language:
    Broken English.
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Well, I chose one of the arguably darkest rooms to demonstrate the effect. Later in the game (when I got more experience) I started making "smart darkness" where I would focus on high contrast. That way I ensure that the player and the main parts of the puzzles are visible, while throwing sneaky visuals and effects from the shadows. The player has a cellphone camera flash, too. I would say that the dark rooms are about 15% of the total rooms. But in general, yes it's a dark game.

Mind you, that the quality of the video does affect how clear the things are. But I could still allow for a bigger margin in the value.

5. Zyphli

Zyphli Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the feedback Kjsp.  I wasn't seeing the difference in color tones as an issue, but I've tried to shift the tree color to blend in more.  I've also tried to make two shades of tree, one brighter for forefront or open areas, and a slightly darker one where they are more crowded. 

I'm not sure why this particular tree comes across as blurry.  I've been avoiding re-sizes because they don't look good  (otherwise I'd be building this with Ancient Dungeons which I totally Love).

[​IMG]

RocketKnight likes this.
  6. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Zephli

Better, but I think the saturation is a bit too high. This may be personal preference, but it does seem very strong.

7. Ruby

Ruby Of the Earth Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Zyphli; I think the reason those trees don't look right is simply because there isn't enough variation. It's all that tree, I think adding more shrubbery, and different variants of tree is going to make it a 1000% better map. On top of what kjsp said, the trees now are too saturated. I think you have a decent layout going on, but it's a little boring. Hopefully adding different trees etc will make it less so. You aren't going to go to a forest and find one type of tree, don't be afraid to use references when building your maps.

Here is a map I have been working on. Excuse the hacky paste job.

[​IMG]

8. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Ruby

Difficult to tell on my phone, but is the back wall behind the brown house by the water higher than where the steps are? There seems to be a perspective problem.

Ruby likes this.
  9. DarknessFalls

DarknessFalls Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @ruby I feel like your map could use more street vendors. Wouldn't mind seeing it in game to see how the events walk around and interact. Too me it feels like a ghost town.

Ruby and The Art of Gaming like this.
  10. Ruby

First Language:
    English
    @kjsp; I see what you mean! Thanks for pointing that out.

@Darknessfalls: Well, I'm glad you say that because it pretty much is a ghost town. The only time you see it is in the beginning of the game, when it's being overrun by soldiers who are burning down the houses in the middle of the night. Every time thereafter you visit, they are burned down. You shouldn't see anybody outside initially.

11. SomaelCK

SomaelCK Lv 99 Simple Sheep Veteran

First Language:
    Burmese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The latest screenshot from Wanda.
    We are tying to make a scene on a skybridge. The map maintain the game's overall theme but we are tying to make it even more organic and have distinct "hand-drawn" feel to it. What do you think?

[​IMG]

12. Lycanimuss

Lycanimuss Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    SomaelCK - Just thought the circles around the bridge stayed a little different than the bridge, perhaps because white outline circles, but really nice screenshot!

A interior map I made for my project!

[​IMG]

13. ryalein

ryalein Warper Member

First Language:
    German
    After years of saying I should start something, MV finally pushed me into actually starting something.

It's a small, simple house and at the moment, trying out some different effects of "lighting".

Basic map:

[​IMG]

Warmer tint:

[​IMG]

Light layer:

[​IMG]

And both combined:

[​IMG]

14. Ruby

First Language:
    English
    The size of those interiors feel great. However, there isn't any cohesiveness to them. I feel like nothing matches, especially the flooring. I love the kitchen setup, though!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2015
  15. The Art of Gaming

The Art of Gaming Owner of the Green Tunic in Dreamland Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Lycanimuss That map is absolutely gorgeous. Great work!

Lycanimuss likes this.
  16. stupid enough to like FF13

stupid enough to like FF13 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I have never seen a window where the light coming through it illuminates only a small area around or in front of the window, leaving the opposite wall in near-darkness.

17. Lycanimuss

Lycanimuss Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Thanks so much! I'm glad you like it!

18. gsp1995

gsp1995 Villager Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    What do you guys think of this feudal town I've been working on? I've finally decided to get my head into a project with the release of RPG Maker MV and this is supposed to be the protagonist's hometown. Up above, not pictured, is the feudal lord's castle.

[​IMG]

19. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @SomaelCK - You know I love all your work and this is no exception! I think my only criticism is that there is something about the perspective that makes the bridge look like it's coming straight down instead of at us, which I think is the intent.

@ryalein - I agree with Ruby. The overall size is good, and you've varied the layout. There is a lot confusing though - for example, it seems to be a poorer house bases on size and cracks in the wall, yet is got royal carpeting in one room. The stairs should not be there or at the very least you need to adjust the walls to show the corresponding raise.

It's also hard to tell time setting. Much of speaks standard fantasy, yet you have modern tile flooring.
    I would keep the floors to a base floor with one or two coordinating rugs.

The bookshelf throws me off too. It looks as it should be a room divider but it doesn't really. There's just random stuff in places.

Anyway, I know it might seem like a lot of criticism, you really do have a good start. Just fixing some of these things can make it great.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2015
    SomaelCK likes this.
  20. Kaazman

Kaazman Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    @gsp1995:

It's a start. I think it has the common problem of being bigger than it needs to be. So much space, and so little to do.

It's also very vanilla. A little bit of resource modding goes a long way in terms of limiting the immediate recognizeability of the typical RTP assets.

@SomaelCK:

Wonderful. Everything I've seen from Wanda looks amazing.

As for my own map. I've been looking at this too long... I don't even know what I think anymore.

[​IMG]

SomaelCK and RocketKnight like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.