Game & Map Screenshots 7

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Jul 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Tags:
  1. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My game's on Steam Greenlight. I wasn't sure what to show for this ocassion so have a peculiar demon girl who dislikes humans. However, if you play through the game, you can actually become friends with her and find out the dark secret why the demons dislike and distrust humans.

[​IMG]

The Art of Gaming likes this.
  2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Kaazman

Chimneys?  How do the people in these houses heat them?

A couple of houses e.g. blue roof and grey roof, bottom left, have no windows.  Bit dark and drear inside, I would have thought.

Why is there a big heap of stones in the middle of the path?

There are some odd things about the perspective where you have different shaped houses butting against each other.  Take the 2 grey roofed houses bottom left as an example.  You have stairs coming down, so the lower house should be further back to accommodate the width of those stairs.  But the blue base tile of them both looks like it's going along in a straight line.  Contrast that with the way the houses a little to the right of that have a clear difference in the line of those base tiles where the right hand house is obviously further back.

Heraldic banners hanging down outside what is, presumably, a pretty ordinary building, judging by the box of carrots outside it.  They look like they've just been put there to give a bit of visual variation, rather than telling the player that something different is happening in there.

How does that piece of rope get on top of the flat roof when there is no access to the roof for anyone to have put it there.

Mapping error in the house second from the right at the very top.  You have a slanted gable end roof piece, but your window overlaps it as if it were going up a straight wall.  Nope, physically impossible; that window needs to come down a tile.

You have grey stone houses and wooden houses.  Why is the wall leading up to the houses top right in red clay brick?  To my eye they jar a bit.

Having said all that, good that you are trying to make this feel like a proper older city, with houses clustered tightly together instead of being spaced out like some 20th century suburb.

3. KawaiiKid

KawaiiKid Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Here is a new parallax map I finished tonight. It is a forest setting at night.

This one took 560 layers!

I'm really enjoying how the shadows actually effect the character!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2015
    RocketKnight and McP like this.
  4. ShidoLionheart

ShidoLionheart Cuor di Leone Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Hi here is a screen of a map that I made

[​IMG]

5. DarknessFalls

DarknessFalls Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @KawaiiKid - Feels too linear to me. I like maps where I can go of and explore and maybe find hidden treasure ... 

6. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @ShidoLionheart

You have big perspective problems, lots of them.

Take the roofs to the sides of the lower 2 of 4 statues.  Those ceilings/roof tiles are meant to be 2 tiles off the ground, but you have spurs going further to the side which are suddenly lying flat on the ground.

The two blocks either side of the steps just below those 2 statues.  The front is one tile high.  You have steps, so the ceiling/roof should not be level with the ground, but it's not because you have half a pillar showing behind the back edge, which usually implies that the block is still one tile high - but how can that be, when that floor where the pillars are, is higher than where the blocks started?

Then the very back wall is a lot higher, but the roofs just carry on as if they were still 2 tiles high.

If you use the sort of thing I've mentioned here, you will find other examples as well.

7. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Screens :'D

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2015
    Bourgeoise, SOC, EFizzle and 17 others like this.
  8. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Archeia: Love the lighting and ambience! One thing looks disconcerting to me in that second screenshot: I can see the wall's baseboard behind the kitchen sink, stove, and counter. Ditto with the table under the window in the bedroom.

Archeia likes this.
  9. C.W. Plainview

C.W. Plainview Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think that's just a problem with the RTP. Same thing happens in VX Ace. Other than that, I think the maps look great!

Here is a pic from my project:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2015
    ShinGamix, SOC and Archeia like this.
  10. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Oh, I like that one.  Good visual balance.  You should replace that ship with the one Celianna made, it'll look better and it doesn't have ripped parts.

djDarkX likes this.
  11. DarknessFalls

DarknessFalls Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Archeia

I like this, gives depth. Good job :D

12. jonthefox

jonthefox Veteran Veteran

For this map I'm wondering 1) Do the crates in the middle look out of place? 2) Other ways to add detail, or would any more be clutter? Bear in mind I'm going to have a bunch of NPCs in here.  

ship.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2015
  13. C.W. Plainview

First Language:
    English
    Ripped parts, huh? I had no idea... It seems like such a popular ship, too. Thanks for the heads-up.

By the way, is there anyway to format Celianna's ship into a tileset? The only one I could find was the parallax version.

14. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You can convert it into a spritesheet and display it as an event. That'll save a lot of space in your tilesheet.

15. Avery

Avery Sleeping Dinosaur Restaff

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
  16. C.W. Plainview

First Language:
    English
    Alright, took a small amount of work, but I think it's for the better.

Updated map:

[​IMG]
    It's supposed to be a passenger ship, and the cannons that were originally on there just didn't feel right, so I edited them out! Let me know what you think!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2015
    Bourgeoise, SOC, Luiishu535 and 2 others like this.
  17. Kenen

Kenen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Archeia is there a 1px text shadow in your second screenshot, or is that just how your particular font is rendering the font outline?

Either way, the text looks rather nice  : )

18. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @C.W.Plainview

There is clearly a gap between your ship and the jetty.  At the very least you need a gangplank to connect the two.

@jonthefox

I think you should consider rearranging everything.  No one is going to put a barrel down, then walk a few places to put another one, and repeat that a few times, with a stray jar in the corner.  Things would be grouped together (unless you have a specific reason for having those 2 buckets separate) and placed in a convenient spot either for access during the voyage or for unloading if it is cargo.

This is a ship - think waves, possibly storms.  Single crates piled on top of one another in the middle of the floor would be unstable.  They would either be kept low, or be 2 or more deep, or be up against a wall for support.

You need to do shift-click mapping of the water where it meets the ship, because it looks like it turns into shallow water at that point.  If that's not the reason for the pale straight border around the ship, you will still need to find a way of eliminating it.

At the moment there is no real sense of depth to the boat.  It looks like it is flat, like a pontoon, with a higher level out of sight.  I think this is one case where some shadow along the left wall is needed, using the shadow pen or, if that is too wide/dark, a shadow tile.

19. Luiishu535

Luiishu535 Coffee Machine Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Two screenshots from an optional dungeon I recently finished.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I don't know why, but there's always something magical about waterfall caverns. They're simply too cool for school. As you may notice from the second screen, there will be

environmental changes to the dungeon the higher you climb. Those water sprouts will also be able to shoot you VERY high up into the air. Be careful though, if you jump down,

you'll take some damage. Think before you jump!

The Art of Gaming, SOC, McP and 3 others like this.
  20. Kenen

Kenen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've been working on porting my VX Ace battle features over to MV during the last 2 weeks or so. I've been able to replicate just about everything using JavaScript without a problem, so I'm excited to begin working on creating some battle challenges.

I'm still adjusting the spacing on the actor frames as well as looking for a font that I like. GameFont has been a nice placeholder in the meantime ; )

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.