Game & Map Screenshots 7

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Jul 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Tags:
  1. Iliketea

Iliketea Tea lover Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Hi everyone, I'd like some feedback on the first city in my game ( as well as at my first attempt at kinda-parallax mapping).

This is Rosenheim, home to the main character Anya, a peaceful little town, known for its Slime farms and high quality goblin-slaves  ( the slave part is kinda hard to explain here, but lets just assume that in the world the game takes place that is totally normal and Slimes are the most favorite pets.)

The building in the lower right corner is the church, if you go north, you get to the slime farms and other local farms that are run by farmers and dozens of goblins as well as the main characters house.

If you follow the street south, you will get to the next bigger city, and in the east is the churches land, with its own farm, a school, a small hospital and a dorm for those that dont have a own home for what ever reason or are only staying for some month before leaving again.

There are no events or shop signs yet, but there will be a lot of people, birds and insects flying around, smoke coming from the roofs etc.

And doors. There will be doors.

This is like i said my first try on kinda parallax mapping, so please criticize me all the way  possible! Especially the light and shadows.

Link: http://i.imgur.com/P9EVD83.jpg

Pic:

[​IMG]

RocketKnight and Lupinos like this.
  2. BloodletterQ

BloodletterQ Chaotic Neutral Assassin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    You are getting the hang of basic shapes for houses although I barely see anything that makes it stand out from the MV map editor. 

Do be careful with your lighting. There's so much that the map looks oversaturated. I have hopes you can populate the map greatly as it looks relatively empty. Still, you're getting somewhere.

Doing an opening text scroll in my title screen. Nothing fancy. Just testing something out.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2015
    Iliketea likes this.
  3. Lupinos

Lupinos Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    My first attempt to do parallax mapping. The map itself is created with tileset in the editor of RMMV. I just did the shadowing and lighting overlays in Photoshop.

It's not finished yet. Some more shadows will be added for some of the props.

Any criticism? Any suggestions?

[​IMG]
    Regards Lupi. :)

Edit: My goal was to give it a decent warmer lighting with not too many contrasts. ;)

4. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Lupinos

Nice map, though I notice that in your house there is nowhere to sit except at the kitchen table, and no way to heat it.  They also appear to have no lamps/candles to light the place at night.  So you might look to include those features in other maps.

Actually, you have made yourself a lot of unnecessary work.  You have done a nice map in the editor, and then turned it into a parallax by the use of your lighting.  If you want to change the map you will have to redo the whole thing - unless you saved it with all the layers still separate.  You might like to consider changing your work pattern to making the map in the editor, as now, using it as a base layer to plan your lighting/shadows, but only save the lighting layer.  Use the 'Show Picture' command to display it in game.  You will save a huge amount of file space if you do that, which gets important if you are planning to several maps like this.  A map made in the editor is less than 100Kb, a parallax map is anything between 1Mb - 5Mb, or even more.

5. Lupinos

Lupinos Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated. :)

Actually I do leave the map as tileset map, make a screenshot with Orange mapshot plugin as base for the planning and just overlay the shadow/lighting with Kaus Overlay plugin. ;) And yes I have all shadows as seperate layers in PS, so it'll be easy to change them with a few clicks. :)

So this is a tileset map with shadow/light overlays.

Edit says: The map is about 6KB and all overlays together about 90KB. :)

6. Chaos17

Chaos17 Dreamer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    I dislike the talk parallax vs tileset, ex : "you shouldn't do that because X reason".

Only the result count, imo.

People use whatever tech they like. :p

RitoJS, Lupinos and Guardcraft Games like this.
  7. Sated

Sated puking up frothing vitriolic sarcastic spittle Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Chaos17: I agree with you in principle, but some people aren't going to be willing to download a really large game just because the maps have lighting effects, which usually don't impact how good a game actually is all that much.

@Iliketea: The church in the bottom right has a rounded roof, but the walls are squared off. You should edit the tileset so that the walls are rounded at the bottom as they are at the top, because it doesn't look right as is.

8. Kim_Shyuen

Kim_Shyuen DAYDREAMER乁( ◔ ౪◔)「 Veteran

First Language:
    Chinese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Iliketea  I like ur maps!!

Iliketea likes this.
  9. Myst88

Myst88 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    MV is great!

[​IMG]

10. Iliketea

First Language:
    German
    OK, I tried to turn down the light a bit in the pic so that it matches how it looks in the game and tried to make the church roundish-er. The bricks dont really match the roundness of the building, but since i dont own Photoshop, that's pretty much the best I can do right now.

[​IMG]

Lupinos likes this.
  11. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Could I suggest you try GIMP - it's free and it does pretty much anything that PhotoShop can do.  Using the bend option, you can get round towers in a fairly straightforward manner.

Iliketea likes this.
  12. Iliketea

First Language:
    German
    I am using Gimp, but first time I heard of a bend option o0! have to check that out.

I am using the German version of Gimp, so I dont know what that option is called in German, is it here?:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2015
  13. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This is getting off topic.  If you want to talk GIMP techniques please do it in Program and Utility Discussion.

14. Chaos Avian

Chaos Avian Abyssal Wing Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Now, ignoring the insane ex-final boss of the game's prequel how's this map? It's the top half of a shoreline cliff with a bridge connecting the two sides.

[​IMG]

SquallStorm and Luiishu535 like this.
  15. arcthemonkey

arcthemonkey Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dank Memes
    Chaos, there is a perspective glitch just behind and right of Hydah there. The cliff wall is two tiles on the front and back wall, but there is a tree and part of the hill being overlapped! Good job on the use of the little plant tiles, by the way!

I'd like to throw my attempt at parallax mapping into the pile! I did most of the mapping for this in the MV editor, but in the future I think I'm going to use the TileD plugin to map at 24/24, bang out all the maps in the game that are needed for a release, and then go back and parallax them as a final step.

[​IMG]
    This is 4 layers (using Kaus' Ultimate Overlay), 12 layers in photoshop, and comes in all-told at 340kb. I'd really love it if anyone has any feedback on my technique. I wanted to avoid deviating from the standard brightness of the RTP.

The opened doors, bathtub, old timey-wimey toilet thingy, recolored rugs/curtains/bed, console table, chimney, dresser, and side-view shelf are all tiles I'll be releasing later.

16. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Arcmonkey

I like the layout and general feel here. It's difficult to be sure on my phone, but it looks as if you have given the lamps a lighting effect. As it appears to be broad daylight, judging by the window, is that needed? Also with the way the sun seems to be streaming in the top window, it is unlikely to be equally strong coming through the opposite direction at the bottom. I'd be inclined to soften and blur that lower one a bit.

17. Kim_Shyuen

Kim_Shyuen DAYDREAMER乁( ◔ ౪◔)「 Veteran

First Language:
    Chinese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @arcmonkey I like your mapping style, it looks natural and reasonable :)  

(everyone are using MV..

today's work!

[​IMG]

18. Aoi Ninami

Aoi Ninami Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Beautiful! I particularly love the way the light falls across the top-right carpet.

19. EternalShadow

EternalShadow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Kim: very very nice, though it would look even better if the light did not bleed over the map edge onto the black bit.

Kim_Shyuen likes this.
  20. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Kim

Just taking EternalShadow's point a little further, the light should not be illuminating the thin stripe of 'ceiling' tile.  By definition the light cannot reach there.  This applies to all your lights, not just the ones that go further and bleed into the black.

Kim_Shyuen and EternalShadow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.