Game & Map Screenshots 7

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Jul 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Tags:
  1. esby

esby eejit Veteran

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a new thing I've been doing. I'll create a development thread for it soon :D

2. jonthefox

jonthefox Veteran Veteran

@Myst that looks so great and vibrant.

Trying to get better at mapping...I really suck at it, so I tend to try and just keep things as simplistic as I can since even something like this takes me a really long time to make.  Here's a small quiet sleepy forest village.   

A couple points I'm already kind of aware of:

-I know there's no tree variety....whenever I tried mixing the wide trees with the smaller ones, I don't know it, it just looked bad to me.

-I know there's no details in the river.  Again, when I tried adding lilypads, they felt out of place.

-I know the doors are only one tile - yet again, when I tried adding a half tile more to them, I didn't like how they looked. :(

Obviously there are going to be NPCs, animals, and I've got a lighting layer ready for it that isn't in the screenshot.   Other than the above, what other things can I improve on?   Thanks in advance.

Map083.png

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2015
  3. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For the apartment, might I suggest that if you're not going to use the ceiling tiles that you also put all the other rooms in the apartment as separate maps?  An example is what I did here using parallax and Celiannas tiles (this was done in Ace and eventually got turned into a DS-styled project lol).  This way, you don't have the awful cut away throughout all the rooms and you can still utilize the fullness of the room spacing.  Just a suggestion. :)

4. arcthemonkey

arcthemonkey Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dank Memes
    You actually just reminded me that I forgot one of the windows in the hallway, which is why I made such distinct shadows in the doorways. How does this look? I didn't think the lightbeams from the bottom window looked good before so I'm working on them, but I meant to put a window across from the hall light anyway.

[​IMG]

5. SquallStorm

SquallStorm Resident Persona 5 Hyper Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Got a couple more screens from Legend of the Sky Ocean.  

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Made sing the RTP and Kaus's edits.

Edit:  @ChaosAvian IT STILL LIVES?!  I was hoping you'd keep going with EWC2.  Any idea if you're still continuing Ruby Chronicles?

6. Euphony

Euphony Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    ESBY your screenies are always a treat. Dem cave tiles mmmyessss.

[​IMG]

7. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @SquallStorm

I personally find all that uninterrupted basic green grass a bit bland and uninteresting. I'd put in more variation with flowers, weeds, more long grass, patches of mud, anything to break it up a bit.

@arcthemonkey

Looks better balanced now.

8. SquallStorm

SquallStorm Resident Persona 5 Hyper Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @KSJP Thanks for the input.  I'll definitely do that.

9. Lupinos

Lupinos Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    @jonthefox

I'd suggest to mix in some higher grass patches here and there and maybe some of the cliffs to raise the houses and to give it some more variaty in height. In your screen it all looks a bit plane. The grass patches also break up this plane look a bit. Some flowers here and there and some of the thinner trees might give it a more natural look as well.

Here an example, so that you might get an idea of what I mean:

[​IMG]
    This is just an example. The differences in height do not have to be that high, maybe just one tile (unless you want to give it a mountainous look).

Btw: The cliffs I used are made by Kaus and edited by me. You can get the original by Kaus in the resource forums. :)

The trees are made by PandaMaru and are also available in the resource forums. :)

Regards Lupi

The Art of Gaming and jonthefox like this.
  10. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Arcmonkey:

A couple questions:

Where is the sun?

As it is, it looks like it's both on top and bottom of the map.

What is your time period?

I can see sword and a quill pen, but also what looks like electrical light bulbs (which shouldn't be ON since it's the day and the windows are enough, by the way).

11. Kim_Shyuen

Kim_Shyuen DAYDREAMER乁( ◔ ౪◔)「 Veteran

First Language:
    Chinese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @ ksjp @EternalShadow     you both are right.thanks for your advice!

@Squall I think you need to add some bigger tree and more things in it (exp;flowers,grass or some small animals or what 

12. Kim_Shyuen

Kim_Shyuen DAYDREAMER乁( ◔ ౪◔)「 Veteran

First Language:
    Chinese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    a scene in the library

[​IMG]

13. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Kim_Shyuen

It's obvious that you have put a lot of work into this, but I think there is a basic flaw.  If the shape of your walls is meant to reflect the shape of the building, then the slanted walls in the lower section simply cannot be letting in that amount of light.  The amount implies full, unimpeded sunlight, yet the bottom walls of the top section would, in fact, be throwing a significant shadow across them.  Furthermore, the shape of the shadows from those windows i.e. where the struts of timber making up the panes of glass throw a cross-shaped shadow on the floor, would require the sun to be shining in at two different angles simultaneously, otherwise they could not be equally strong and distinct.

Kim_Shyuen, Shake0615 and Dalph like this.
  14. Sated

Sated puking up frothing vitriolic sarcastic spittle Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Even if there was direct sunlight to all those windows (which as pointed out above, doesn't really make sense), I think the lighting effects are far too strong. 

Kim_Shyuen likes this.
  15. Shake0615

Shake0615 Reanimator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Maybe it takes place on Tatooine.

[​IMG]
    @Kim_Shyuen But in all seriousness, apart from the angle of the sunlight the strength itself is overpowering. Lighting (in my opinion) should be a barely noticeable accent to your map, not a prominent feature. I do really like the design of the interior itself though.

EternalShadow likes this.
  16. arcthemonkey

arcthemonkey Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dank Memes
    The time period is generic, possibly pseudo industrio-medieval video game time. I'm not super worried about the apparently anachronistic lights. If you think about Chrono Trigger (which I'm heavily inspired by), Truce in 1000 AD has electric lights and refrigerators, but no cars or any other significant signs of technology (Lucca and Taban's machines excluded).

This game is also a parody, so I am satisfied with the lights :)

As for the sun, I imagined it slightly behind the house and to the left.

If you are asking because I have light coming from both sides, I added the sunbeams to the bottom windows just to signify the windows are there, and the source of the radiant lighting on the bottom of the map.

The light being more intense at the top of the map is actually inconsistent with the outdoor lighting implied by the RTP, but I decided to go this way for aesthetic reasons, and ultimately I don't think that inconsistency is noticeable (nor is it an uncommon choice, as evidenced by most 2D RPGs).

Does that make sense?

I know what you are saying, but I made a conscious decision for it to be that way, and I haven't liked any of my attempts to reconcile those apparent issues.

The Stranger likes this.
  17. Stridah

Stridah The People's Champion Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Kim's map is better then 90% of the stuff posted in here, really nice thought out mapping, just tone it down from the right side window and it will be perfect...The actual effect is not overdone, sun can be extremely strong depending on the time of day.

Kim_Shyuen likes this.
  18. Iliketea

Iliketea Tea lover Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Hi guys ^^

This is an alchemy store from my game. The player can buy and brew potions here.

Its in the first town, so its not as big.

[​IMG] 
    Edit: wrong pic ^^''

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2015
    Myst88 and DBDragoner like this.
  19. DBDragoner

DBDragoner Veteran Veteran

Here's a blacksmith shop I made. There's a crafting area on the right for the player to play around with. I made this several days ago, but I just don't feel like its finished. I'm not going to make the shadows till I feel like the shop is complete. Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

Iliketea likes this.
  20. Strashiner

Strashiner Ambitious Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

no comment. i made a crap ton of maps already....my artstyle isn't even RPG ish...

WHAT AM I? D:

Kim_Shyuen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.