Game & Map Screenshots 7

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Jul 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Tags:
  1. Kim_Shyuen

Kim_Shyuen DAYDREAMER乁( ◔ ౪◔)「 Veteran

First Language:
    Chinese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    just ignore that bell,haha

[​IMG]

Bourgeoise and Marquise* like this.
  2. EternalShadow

EternalShadow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Testing out a world map (this image does not constitute a world map, but is the basic idea!) for how the main character of my new upcoming game will travel around between zones.

[​IMG]
    There's a mouse system with a custom cursor and everything. I still need to make it so the player can't move (passabilities haven't been set) and that the map is large enough for the game window despite using the Ace-sized tiles.

Kyuukon and The Art of Gaming like this.
  3. symmetry-evans

symmetry-evans Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Kim_Shyuen I think that the stained glass windows are too blurry

@EternalShadow I like it overall, but the portal image doesn't match the pixelated map

Kim_Shyuen likes this.
  4. EternalShadow

EternalShadow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Oh, I agree - it was just a little test on how map transfers could work on a button click basis, rather than a "move to" basis :)

Marquise* and symmetry-evans like this.
  5. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Luiishu535:  I think the map is too cluttered and would be a pain to travel in.  A little negative space and some thought on how to make the movement flow would be great.  I really like the feel you've got with the colors though.  It's unusual and a little dusty and it gives the tiles a nice unifying element.

@Snuffy:  Nice improvement!  Feels grimy and like I need to keep exploring it.

@Kim_Shyuen:  I like how the widows light interacts with the floor, but you'll have to do something different for that rug.  The light on it is making it look internally lit up for some reason.  Maybe start with a rug with less saturated colors?  I also dislike the blurriness of the windows.  The light should be blurry, but not the glass itself.  Glass as a medium has very sharp edges or has to be treated so that the dye doesn't just flow into a brown mess making each element of a glass window very distinct.  There should be a better way to get rid of the small details without turning it amorphous, but I'm not sure what that would be without trying to do it myself.

Kim_Shyuen likes this.
  6. jonthefox

jonthefox Veteran Veteran

Hey, wondering if anyone had suggestions of how to make this map more interesting, without becoming too cluttered.  Thanks. :)

beachmap.jpg

7. Luiishu535

Luiishu535 Coffee Machine Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Sharm: Well, it's supposed to be something of a river with lots of small islands. I'm pretty happy with the space and think it runs fine. Maybe I could cut down on some of those RTP trees though to add some extra space. Thanks for your feedback!

8. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @Snuffy:

I like your work. Hope I don<t insult you but it reminds me a bit Jean Chalopin's Inspector Gadget Altought I kinda have the impression it isn't an Inspector Cluzo!

9. Luiishu535

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Just got the Time Fantasy pack and decided to make a little test map!

(Characters from Master of the Wind hanging out retro style!)

[​IMG]

I know there are some small errors here and there, which I'll fix a bit later. Overall, I kind

of enjoy these graphics a bit. Especially since I have used the RTP for about 4+ years

now. This was indeed a fresh experience.

Also, I'll probably upload a video later to see the place in action with custom music! ^^

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2015
  10. esby

esby eejit Veteran

@Jonthefox - I'd shrink the map down a little and introduce different levels of cliff height. I think the palms have been used a few times too many.

@Luiishu - That's a really nice use of the set, the only thing I'd suggest is maybe create a small edit for the bridge so that it overlaps the land a little.

Every fantasy RPG needs a waterfall, it's the rules.

[​IMG]

RitoJS, RocketKnight and jonthefox like this.
  11. Luiishu535

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanks. There are tiles for the bridge to overlap in the set. However, I think that the bridge pillars I'm using are meant to go down in the water. Otherwise, those tiles would serve absolutely no purpose AFAIK.

12. symmetry-evans

symmetry-evans Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Well, in real life, if you had a bridge that was anchored in the water and not on land, it would surely float away during flooding etc. 

13. Lars Ulrika

Lars Ulrika I punch Therefore I am Harvest the land Taking the Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Well, here is a wip regarding a city I'm building for my project "Galiyuka!"

[​IMG]
    It has some edits like the billboards which are representing a propaganda campaign going on in the city and some slight changes but I'm far from done yet on that field.

Marquise* and Luiishu535 like this.
  14. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Lars Ulriks

I was trying to work out why it looked a little flat, and I think it's because of the lack of shadows. You have shadows along the wall of the building on the left at ground level, but the upper part of the structure that stands on the green flat roof doesn't have a shadow, only the bit after the roof where it is throwing a shadow down onto the ground.  The street lamps have a shadow, but not the phone booth.  

I'm also wondering about the light grey tile for the ground - with that pattern it ends up looking a bit like a breeze-block (don't know the US English term for that - cinder block maybe?) wall.

15. Lars Ulrika

Lars Ulrika I punch Therefore I am Harvest the land Taking the Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yup, fair point, totally overlooked that on this one. :(

About the grey tile, nevermind I guess I see what you mean. I guess I'd better rework on this heavily then.

16. Korten12

Korten12 Working on, The Border. :) Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]
    I made the first dungeon layout for my game in RMMV. It's not meant to be super complicated, you have to activate 3 points to open a door leading to the waterfall room. Should be noted

some parts that look missing are already added in but not when I took this picture. I plan to add a lot more little details, also chests and secrets. Also when should I be using the 'dark version

or really any other version of this dungeon tileset ground?

Lastly if somewhat related... There any RTS-fog of war like scripts out yet for MV? My game is 1080p and would be interesting to obscure the players view when in dungeons.

17. Luiishu535

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Korten12: Something that could help your map A LOT would be to simply make the bigger rooms

smaller. That way, it won't look as empty. To further enhance your map, I'd advice you to add some 

more details to the floor and walls. Maybe some cracks, torches and whatnot. Also, there are a few 

walls missing in the lower right part of the map.

Decided to edit the bridge, since I was going to make the map a bit larger anyway to fit a bigger screen

resolution. I'd also appreciate if someone could enlighten me about the use other bridge tiles I showed.

[​IMG]

It's getting late in the woods.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2015
  18. Korten12

Korten12 Working on, The Border. :) Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Luiishu535: Oh yeah, I do plan on adding those details, I just wanted to get the layout down. And that missing wall is already in there, It just wasn't

when I took the screenshot.

Anyway, couldn't you argue, however, that making the rooms larger and thus longer to traverse will simply pad out the dungeon?

19. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Korten12

Luiishu wasn't suggesting you make them bigger, but make them smaller.  The way you worded your reply makes it seem as if you think he said the opposite.  Of course, you might want to pad out the dungeon (not a good idea, imo), in which case your reply makes sense.

Luiishu535 likes this.
  20. Ultimak0

Ultimak0 Villager Member

New to rpg maker, my first ever map. not finished yet, still need to add npc's and entrance and exits.

Hideout.png

Nichmann, Indrah, BCj and 11 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.