Game & Map Screenshots 7

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Jul 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Tags:
  1. Korten12

Korten12 Working on, The Border. :) Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @ksjp17 oh woooow. I have no idea how I did that. Clearly my reading comprehension today isn't quite up to snuff.

2. symmetry-evans

symmetry-evans Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    YOUR FIRST EVER MAP? I LOVE IT!!! It is amazing!

Ultimak0 and jonthefox like this.
  3. jonthefox

jonthefox Veteran Veteran

@ultimak surely this is a level? :D  It looks great.  If that's your first ever map that's an amazing feat, bravo, can't wait to see what other stuff you do.   Which tileset is that btw?

Ultimak0 likes this.
  4. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @Ultimak0

Something to be proud for sure. Nice ambiance!

Ultimak0 likes this.
  5. Mythologix

Mythologix Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I redid my library after i was told some of my tiles didn't match right. Hopefully this attempt at parallax was a bit better. Im fairly happy with it. Shadowing i plan to add later on when i figure out the rest of Kaus Ultimate Overlay.

I might add alittle more to some of the open space area I'm just not sure atm what that will be if anything at all.

thx for the advice guys

MAP001.png

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2015
  6. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM

For a first map it's definitely good, I'm just not sure if I like that dirt overlay on the ground. :0

Carpets don't work that way but I recommend doing some shift mapping.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2015
    Ultimak0 likes this.
  7. Necrology

Necrology Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think it's really good too. A small criticism is that the barrels and crates, as well as the stools, look pretty blurry compared to the rest of the tileset pieces. Did you scale them to a larger size? 

Ultimak0 likes this.
  8. Mythologix

Mythologix Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    thx I'm actually glad you mentioned the carpet. I added that after I did the parallax, those were added directly in RPG Maker, should I delete that part and add it to the parallax would it make it smoother or just Shift click it?

Thanks

9. Zortik

Zortik The Architect Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Looking for a spot of feedback on a first map. (Note: this is all done through the editor)

This map is a bit large, has no events as of yet, and is still pending sprucing up with some additional details. I wanted to get something down though so I can work on improvements.

The player will be watching a cutscene unfold on this map (it will not be explorable). The player will be leaving the building on the bottom right, musing to himself while he walks to his apartment (grey building on the far left, near the middle).

While the event is playing there will be people / cars coming and going. I'll try to mess with the colors to better represent sunset or near to that time of day. Possibly may need to look into a way to add a glow for the lights and signs as well.

[​IMG]

The second stage of the cutscene will then take place in the apartment. This will be the longer of the two cutscenes. This will also not be explorable.

[​IMG]

I have not yet incorporated many of the resources provided for free on this website. I'm trying to get my feet wet first so to speak with the tool and getting into the hang of good habits.

Edit:
    Do I need to use a photo editing tool to put shadows over the bear, toilet, fridge? The in game tool only seems to work on the tiles in A1~A5

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2015
    Marquise* likes this.
  10. Ultimak0

Ultimak0 Villager Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, I used celianna's tileset but had to custom the water ones. @necrology I did scale the crates and barrels, is this a no go?

11. Nichmann

Nichmann Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    This is what I've come up with for the main town that acts as the hub for the player. Any suggestions or critique is more than welcome!

Map001.png

12. SaiScott

SaiScott Ikishin Founder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    On the bottom-right where you have all them trees, I would suggest some diversity in the trees.

13. EternalShadow

EternalShadow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @ultima: don't scale unless it is a pixel object that can be nearest neighboured. Eg pop horror. Even then, keep an eye on it to make sure the object is still crisp.

Ultimak0 likes this.
  14. KillaMaaki

KillaMaaki Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Even then, I would still caution against any scaling. It actually looks really bad to me when someone has mis-matched pixel sizes in pixel art style games. Keeping everything consistent is the way to go IMHO.

Ultimak0 likes this.
  15. EternalShadow

EternalShadow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Oh I mean if transforming everything 1.5x for MV :)

16. Ultimak0

Ultimak0 Villager Member

thanks for the advice guys

17. symmetry-evans

symmetry-evans Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It looks a little too symmetrical to me! I know that probably sounds weird. To see what I mean, Google 'rpg maker town' and take a look at some awesome towns people have made - they rarely have straight streets and similarly-sized houses.

18. Korten12

First Language:
    English
    A bit more updated version of my map from the last page.

[​IMG]
    I actually decided to make some paths bigger on account that I decided my games will have on screen encounters, rather than merely having random battles after x amount of steps.

Here is some big screenshots of what some of the rooms look like ingame (and a sneak preview of my sprite for "regular power' mobs. Since I'm usual a general mob sprite for enemies who are normal strength, stronger, and rare.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. jonthefox

jonthefox Veteran Veteran

@ korten i think that's a definite improvement.  It looks good to me, especially in light of what you said about on-screen encounters.   Do you plan to have the enemies move around quickly in random fashion, or will they pursue the player (and if so, will it be at a speed that cannot be outrun, or the player can out-run?)   Reason I ask is, this would also affect how much space you should have.  

20. Korten12

First Language:
    English
    @jonthefox I'm still figuring that out. I've been trying to use Yanfly's Event Chase Player but it doesn't seem to always work since even if the enemy comes into contact with the player. The player still needs to actually touch the enemy manually to activate the battle. Not sure why... I also plan to have enemies not respawn in the dungeon. (Although they do in the open world.)

Edit: Whoops, needed to be event contact. Not player contact. Makes sense... I do also have the script to restrict enemy movement to an area. 

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.