Not open for further replies.

Korten12

Working on, The Border. :)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@ksjp17 oh woooow. I have no idea how I did that. Clearly my reading comprehension today isn't quite up to snuff.

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@ultimak surely this is a level? :D  It looks great.  If that's your first ever map that's an amazing feat, bravo, can't wait to see what other stuff you do.   Which tileset is that btw?

Mythologix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I redid my library after i was told some of my tiles didn't match right. Hopefully this attempt at parallax was a bit better. Im fairly happy with it. Shadowing i plan to add later on when i figure out the rest of Kaus Ultimate Overlay.

I might add alittle more to some of the open space area I'm just not sure atm what that will be if anything at all.

thx for the advice guys

MAP001.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
New to rpg maker, my first ever map. not finished yet, still need to add npc's and entrance and exits.

For a first map it's definitely good, I'm just not sure if I like that dirt overlay on the ground. :0

I redid my library after i was told some of my tiles didn't match right. Hopefully this attempt at parallax was a bit better. Im fairly happy with it. Shadowing i plan to add later on when i figure out the rest of Kaus Ultimate Overlay.

I might add alittle more to some of the open space area I'm just not sure atm what that will be if anything at all.

thx for the advice guys
Carpets don't work that way but I recommend doing some shift mapping.

Necrology

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
New to rpg maker, my first ever map. not finished yet, still need to add npc's and entrance and exits.
I think it's really good too. A small criticism is that the barrels and crates, as well as the stools, look pretty blurry compared to the rest of the tileset pieces. Did you scale them to a larger size? 

Mythologix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Carpets don't work that way but I recommend doing some shift mapping.
thx I'm actually glad you mentioned the carpet. I added that after I did the parallax, those were added directly in RPG Maker, should I delete that part and add it to the parallax would it make it smoother or just Shift click it?

Thanks

Zortik

The Architect
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Looking for a spot of feedback on a first map. (Note: this is all done through the editor)

This map is a bit large, has no events as of yet, and is still pending sprucing up with some additional details. I wanted to get something down though so I can work on improvements.

The player will be watching a cutscene unfold on this map (it will not be explorable). The player will be leaving the building on the bottom right, musing to himself while he walks to his apartment (grey building on the far left, near the middle).

While the event is playing there will be people / cars coming and going. I'll try to mess with the colors to better represent sunset or near to that time of day. Possibly may need to look into a way to add a glow for the lights and signs as well.

Regna%20Opening%20Map.png

The second stage of the cutscene will then take place in the apartment. This will be the longer of the two cutscenes. This will also not be explorable.

Regna%20Apartment.png

I have not yet incorporated many of the resources provided for free on this website. I'm trying to get my feet wet first so to speak with the tool and getting into the hang of good habits.

Edit:
Do I need to use a photo editing tool to put shadows over the bear, toilet, fridge? The in game tool only seems to work on the tiles in A1~A5

Ultimak0

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Thanks for the feedback guys, I used celianna's tileset but had to custom the water ones. @necrology I did scale the crates and barrels, is this a no go?

Nichmann

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
This is what I've come up with for the main town that acts as the hub for the player. Any suggestions or critique is more than welcome!

Map001.png

SaiScott

Ikishin Founder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
On the bottom-right where you have all them trees, I would suggest some diversity in the trees.

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@ultima: don't scale unless it is a pixel object that can be nearest neighboured. Eg pop horror. Even then, keep an eye on it to make sure the object is still crisp.

KillaMaaki

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
@ultima: don't scale unless it is a pixel object that can be nearest neighboured. Eg pop horror. Even then, keep an eye on it to make sure the object is still crisp.
Even then, I would still caution against any scaling. It actually looks really bad to me when someone has mis-matched pixel sizes in pixel art style games. Keeping everything consistent is the way to go IMHO.

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Oh I mean if transforming everything 1.5x for MV :)

symmetry-evans

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
This is what I've come up with for the main town that acts as the hub for the player. Any suggestions or critique is more than welcome!
It looks a little too symmetrical to me! I know that probably sounds weird. To see what I mean, Google 'rpg maker town' and take a look at some awesome towns people have made - they rarely have straight streets and similarly-sized houses.

Korten12

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
A bit more updated version of my map from the last page.

[IMG]http://i.picpar.com/OiCb.png[/IMG]
I actually decided to make some paths bigger on account that I decided my games will have on screen encounters, rather than merely having random battles after x amount of steps.

Here is some big screenshots of what some of the rooms look like ingame (and a sneak preview of my sprite for "regular power' mobs. Since I'm usual a general mob sprite for enemies who are normal strength, stronger, and rare.)

[IMG]http://i.picpar.com/PiCb.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.picpar.com/QiCb.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.picpar.com/RiCb.png[/IMG]

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@ korten i think that's a definite improvement.  It looks good to me, especially in light of what you said about on-screen encounters.   Do you plan to have the enemies move around quickly in random fashion, or will they pursue the player (and if so, will it be at a speed that cannot be outrun, or the player can out-run?)   Reason I ask is, this would also affect how much space you should have.  

Korten12

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@jonthefox I'm still figuring that out. I've been trying to use Yanfly's Event Chase Player but it doesn't seem to always work since even if the enemy comes into contact with the player. The player still needs to actually touch the enemy manually to activate the battle. Not sure why... I also plan to have enemies not respawn in the dungeon. (Although they do in the open world.)

Edit: Whoops, needed to be event contact. Not player contact. Makes sense... I do also have the script to restrict enemy movement to an area. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Another thumb update. The nail is beginning to break away, along with the aforementioned hard and blackened dead skin. The final join has regained some of its flexibility, tho it's a bit stiff after being held still for so long. The very tip of my thumb has a strange dry and somewhat tingly feeling to it when I touch it to something, but at least it isn't numb. I am so ready for this to be over. :o
Can I get away with calling a "shortsword" a dagger and not a sword?
So here's the full cycles, I'm not so familiar with actually animating and giving motion so any observation on that matter would be really helpful! :kaoswt:
EfGHbLh.gif

Just now I realized I didn't scale it up so its smol...
I wanna make a YouTube video about reviewing a game, but I don't know what RPG Maker game I should play...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kijkmk