Not open for further replies.

Korten12

Working on, The Border. :)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Kaus That UI in Battle makes me so jelly. :( I tried using Ateliers MOG Battle HUD and after trying to remake the "Commands" I realize my design was horrible...

Well that and the fact that I wasn't sure how to make it work for 1080p so it was all small in one corner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaus

The Sagittarius Bearer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Taglish
Primarily Uses
@Korten12 Well the Action Command is my very own plugin so you might find it very different with Mog's BattleHUD but i have mog's battleHud for the face, hp,mp etc. but made a lots of tweak with the codes to make it feel different from the default :3 just try and try until you get your desired design. photoshopping and programming at the same time is required tho. 

symmetry-evans

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
-Hey thanks... hmm i might consider the Destiny part.

-making it more slower actually lets you notice graphics glitching as it rotates... I don't know maybe thats just the way they draw it when rotating slower than usual. 

-yeah that one will be updated soon thanks for the critiques.
If you're feeling reluctant to change the fight vs. escape part because of the cool lighting effects, I think you could still keep the effect and just have the light switch from side to side when you switch between fight and escape?

That's a bummer about the glitchiness, I agree it would be better if the stars were moving a bit slower.

Overall it's gorgeous and makes me want to play your game. :)

hadecynn

Dreams Circle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kaus

Seeing your HUD animated was a real treat. I like it even more than before. I do have one unrelated comment though. I'm really not a fan of the pacing of the animation. Having the sprites move up to their target is kind of nice, but I can already imagine how I would want to skip it if this was my 100th battle. The pause between moving up and the attack animation didn't help either.

I did a some rough timing based on your clip, and right now each "Attack" command takes about 4-5 seconds from start to finish. If each wolf took 2 hits to kill, and assuming everything gets to act once per turn, with players acting first, the fastest I can get through this battle is 7 actions (4 player, 1 wolf, 2 more player), which adds up to ~30 seconds, not taking into account loading/victory screens. That means with 10 encounters you are already looking at more than 5 minutes (and this is just automated, mindless "attack" mashing through each one.) In comparison, if we look at the NES/SNES era Dragon Quests or Final Fantasies, trash mob battles rarely last longer than 10 ~ 15 seconds.

Just wanted to bring that up in case you're not aware. Keep up the awesome work though! =) 

GameDevon

Animagical Person
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Kaus

That HUD looks ridiculously good! I'm in the same boat as Hadecynn though - 30 second thrash mobs are a slight turnoff.

On a different note, I'm new to the RPG Maker forums! I got MV a month ago.

Everyone I've met so far has been great and incredibly friendly though. Yay!

I've attached a screenshot of a map from a game I'm working on. All feedback welcome!

[IMG]https://40.media.tumblr.com/2659b0f5553f046ad2210f57d06aa88c/tumblr_nz8k3vEQrq1t0yqrco1_1280.png[/IMG]
I set up a devlog on tumblr today and I'm looking for other RPG Maker devlogs to follow, so please leave me a Tumblr message and a follow if you like the ONE post that I have!

The Art of Gaming

Owner of the Green Tunic in Dreamland
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@gamedevon It looks adorable! I love your style. 

Brillenpinguin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Here's a screenshot of the tileset I'm working on right now (of which I showed a test map earlier this month). Hope to finish it before Christmas!

[IMG]https://40.media.tumblr.com/cb824d25723486677923e480461c75b4/tumblr_nz9a6mAVaL1uhoduco1_1280.png[/IMG]

KillaMaaki

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
I think some of the lighting could do with hue variation. Like, rather than just picking lighter or darker colors of the same hue, vary the hue from dark to light across a surface (generally, ranges from closer to blue in shadow to closer to yellow in light). This link deals with color palettes in pixel art, and discusses what I'm talking about: http://opengameart.org/content/chapter-5-color-palettes

Also, another thing that stood out to me, that cracked window could potentially use a few pixels of highlight along the crack, which could make it more obvious that it's a cracked surface rather than looking like something was pasted on top.

And I also notice that the lighting of the tree leaves looks pretty harsh compared to the lighting of everything else.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Brillenpinguin

If you're just looking for feedback on your tiles, I think you would be better off posting in the WIP thread.  This thread is very much to do with maps, not specifically tiles you are working on.

Brillenpinguin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@ksjp: Ah, I see, thanks for pointing out :)
And thanks for the advice, Killa!

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Also around the well - that is one place you can be sure the flowers would have been trodden down. Also the whole clearing looks like a well maintained lawn. Perhaps som e long grass in places, a few weeds. That, with the path symmetry-evans suggested, will break up the large dollop of green.

Ultimak0

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
added light and more on the grass and around the well, couldn't get the path to look the way i wanted.... Home.png

Strashiner

Ambitious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Ultimak0

The plant assets are great! but what could really add some power to your map is a variety of grass textures. The grass textures you have are just one shade of color. What I did, with GIMP, is that I look for real pictures of grass, with all different shades of color, and combine them into one. Add some dirt here and there to give off a look of grass.

But that's just my style haha!

good work!

Ultimak0

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Ultimak0

The plant assets are great! but what could really add some power to your map is a variety of different grass textures. The grass textures you have are just one shade of color. What I did, with GIMP, is that I look for real pictures of grass, with all different shades of color, and combine them into one. Add some dirt here and there to give off a look of grass.

But that's just my style haha!

good work!
thanks stashiner I'll get to work on that :)

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@kengo i like it, cool retro feel to it.  would help if we knew more about what your game was about/like though.

KillaMaaki

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Overall design is nice, but the gradients in the text sort of clash with the hard edges and pixel-art style of everything else. In particular, that blue gem thing's shading is way too soft IMHO. Still, like the logo design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

ScreenShot_5_25_2022_7_37_13.png

my game has distinct areas where travel through what are known as "battle stations" these are more or less areas to explore and fight. occasionally, you'll stumble across secret rooms with sidequests ready to be taken. this area is in the high school attic of all places... but how do ya get there is the question.
Redoing my intro scene for the 10 millionth time is pain
So this flat Earther named Mike Hughes build his own rocket to prove that the Earth was flat. But on liftoff he still had the ladder he climbed up to the rocket laying against it. Needless to say things didn't go as planned.
Anyone else just get battle system ideas but not have a game to attach them to?
Update to the Bootleg YS Battle system. Butt-stabbing is now a thing.
If you hit a monsters back, that hit does triple damage and the monster doesn't hit you; however the monster will immediately turn to face you. Also, figured out how to make Bombs, Sling-shot, a Hammer, and a Saw if you didn't see my previous video. Also made Teleportation circles and a warp whistle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meowsica