Game & Map Screenshots 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nova

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Overall design is nice, but the gradients in the text sort of clash with the hard edges and pixel-art style of everything else. In particular, that blue gem thing's shading is way too soft IMHO. Still, like the logo design.
Thanks ^^ I know, I actually noticed that too just now. This is because I just took the original logo I made (which is not pixel art) and just downsized it. I'm going to try to find a way to reduce the colors to make it less soft.

symmetry-evans

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Updated my trees to a bigger size (pay no attention to missing tree parts, it's just because the events weren't included in the mapshot):

[IMG]https://41.media.tumblr.com/1bf1d587e677e787f03bbbace96795f1/tumblr_nzbtz2GvOx1ubffe6o1_1280.png[/IMG]
And new forest village map (I feel like something is missing, but what?! besides people and animals):

[IMG]https://36.media.tumblr.com/d8baa4dc7a8c97e1601bbe8e47c87c6a/tumblr_nzbtz2GvOx1ubffe6o2_1280.png[/IMG]

Edit: This is made 100% in the editor, no parallaxing. I'm not against parallaxing, but I want to finish creating all (most) of my tiles first :)  

This gives you a better idea of what it looks like in 1:1

[IMG]https://40.media.tumblr.com/4a00da038be4d8cf3c8abc1a5253b0fc/tumblr_nzbub2cWMC1ubffe6o1_500.png[/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Whatever else you might include, there will be a path from the house to the well. People will be walking that route daily, maybe several times

King Gerar

White Wolf
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
symmetry-evans, you may to make half-cliffs to vary more, like the image below. Ham... the high grass autotile can help you where don't exist way too. Fallen trunks of trees, some rocks, some objects around the houses: a forgetful axe that the woodcutter has left outside; a broom that lady Alice didn't keep in home; these types of things to turn each piece of map into a unique piece of map.

lTTQnsE.png

Well, as I decided to migrate my project to the RPG Maker MV, I'm having that remake the tiles, but in other style, something more next SNes games, with double-sized pixels.

I really want to fill this tavern. I'm making higher shelves on moment, but accept tips of things that I could put (except NPCs, obviously).

hnedwP8.png

SaiScott

Ikishin Founder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Symmetry-evans: I may just be a little picky, but them paths to the houses look a little unnatural. Might break them up a little. Other than that, the maps look great! :)

Sated

puking up frothing vitriolic sarcastic spittle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@sated - thank you! whatcha mean by tileset...just that you don't think the RTP alone looks very good?   Those other suggestions help, thank you so much!
I have a long-standing and well documented dislike for the RTP. That you're using it decently is more important than whether or not I like it because I'm sure there are people who do like it!

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@King Gerar

You might want to have another look at your lighting effects.  The glow from the fire radiates in a perfect circle - yet the hearth has a ledge (mantle piece in UK English, don't know what it's called in US English) which would block the glow from going upwards.  It also appears to be exactly the same shade/hue and intensity as the light from the torch.

Some of those tables are far too wide.  No one could ever reach the middle of them.

If it's a tavern, where are they serving the drinks from?

There are no windows in the back walls.  Even though taverns aren't noted for bright natural light, I think that it would have at least one.

Would a rustic looking tavern have 2 pieces of carpet like that?  And the lower one is placed oddly anyway.

No tavern keeper would have a barrel of ale/beer right next to the hot fire.  It is unlikely that they would be left for easy public access anyway, but that one in particular is wrongly placed.

You're going to have drunken (or at least a bit tipsy) people going up and down those stairs.  I think a hand rail would be a good idea.

SquallStorm

Resident Persona 5 Hyper
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So it's been a long time since I posted a map.  This is my first attempt at handmaking a world map.  Keep in mind it's still a WIP, but I'd like feedback still.  :3  I'm adding the rest of the shallows and still need to add towns and dungeons, etc, plus further details.

KzJg3Yo.png

Luiishu535

Coffee Machine Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Perhaps you could add some more mountain and trees? Some continents are also missing brighter/more shallow water.

After all the 4+ years that we've had together, I think it's time that we bid each other farewell, RTP. We've made many a maps together, more than anyone could count.

Don't you worry though, since I won't forget about you. I'll try my best to write back to you every once in a while.

Northern_Field_1.png

Northern_Field_2.png

Goodbye, RTP. I'll surely miss you so, oh SO much! 

SquallStorm

Resident Persona 5 Hyper
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Finalized version.  Feedback is sought and will be greatly appreciated!

UB6LZIw.jpg

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@squallstorm this version looks better.  could still use some work, i.e. add hills to the eastern continent.  

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Squallstorm

It looks as if you have used the same mountain tiles everywhere.  Would not your snow covered areas also have snow covered mountains?

You have several instances where water cuts entire islands in 2 ( in a couple of cases 3 and in one case into 4 areas).  Even within the highly stylized/abstract nature of a world map, this looks odd.  For the sea to have done this, the cut through would be far more eroded at the coastal areas than they are.  As it is, it almost looks like they are rivers, which (by definition) of course they can't be. 

SquallStorm

Resident Persona 5 Hyper
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I honestly appreciate the feedback, but I'm confused about both points you've made.

As for mountains, my snowy mountains are snow covered.

Secondly, how would one construct rivers then?

Valkyriet

Pocket Panda
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@SquallStorm

I think ksjp was confused because the desert island in the south almost looks like a snow island xD (Even I had to squint to realize it wasn't, but that's okay). As for the rivers, though, I think he has a point. The continent on the left looks very odd because of the inland water structure, and also because I cannot figure out where the river (if that's what you were going for) originated. Also, the width of the water tile looks unsettling to me (if you compare it to the size of the towns and such, that's one wide river) although I guess it can't be helped.

Something else you can add would be ports. I'm assuming people can travel from continent to continent using ships so there a jetty or more could look good. Additionally I don't like the sheer size and number of the continents on the map (I think they could be condensed and less cluttered) , but that's an intensely personal preference and because I know naught about the game it's going into. Primarily because I can't spot the major settlements unless I squint. Don' mean to be a party pooper but I want to be honest.

SquallStorm

Resident Persona 5 Hyper
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ok, that makes a LOT more sense to me.  Granted this was captured by the MV maker so it isn't 1:1 so I understand the confusion.

As for the rivers, I'm not really sure how to make them seem more natural.  Any pointers would be extremely welcome!   :D

Also, the game has a multiple perspective narrative and characters will start in different areas, a la Wild Arms, and meet later to form the final party.

As for ports, landmarks such as those are still incomplete as I need to find where they make the most sense until players get the ship.  The rivers on the western continent are actually pretty necessary since they'll be traversing them on the shallow water vehicle.  :3

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@SquallStorm

I'm having to use my phone a lot at the moment as I'm having internet problems, and yes, it looked like snow to me.

The point about the rivers is this.

Rivers originate somewhere inland, typically in hills or mountains, and then flow to the sea.  What you have done is have both ends of the rivers in the seas - which simply isn't possible.  Instead, it looks like the sea has cut the land in half.

SquallStorm

Resident Persona 5 Hyper
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@SquallStorm

I'm having to use my phone a lot at the moment as I'm having internet problems, and yes, it looked like snow to me.

The point about the rivers is this.

Rivers originate somewhere inland, typically in hills or mountains, and then flow to the sea.  What you have done is have both ends of the rivers in the seas - which simply isn't possible.  Instead, it looks like the sea has cut the land in half.
Oh, ok, I understand now what you mean.  Thank you for that.  

I've been basing my design principles on how the default maps do things and it seems like a lot of them have done what I've done.  I'm not sure where I'm going wrong, but I guess I'll figure it out.

Valkyriet

Pocket Panda
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Squall, I think you can possibly improve the background of your story by condensing the continents and de-cluttering (removing excess mountains, trees, land etc.). One or two big continents on the east and/or west, a small island in the middle, a desert continent to the south with a barren island to the south-west or south-east. And one snowy continent. I'll point out the advantages to this setup.

1. First off, it gives the players a clear idea of the major continents, and also helps them remember what is where.

2. Secondly, it might help you develop an in-depth and more interesting backstory for not just individual towns or continents, but deserts, forests, swamps or any other setting your game will have. Makes naming them a lot easier, and players are more likely to prefer dungeons with a bit of myth or history rather than just another area with monsters to pass through.

3. Inter-continental travel and setting up a port-town/towns is a lot easier if you have a small number of continents. And you can have your players travel to all the other towns by foot or other means after having docked their ship. It would also be interesting to see how you set up a port-town in three different climates : desert, snow, and plains.

4. Having a single large continent will give you more space to put in a river without having to cut up the continent.

I know all this might seem difficult to implement, but it's just in case you need suggestions.

Necrology

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
totally re-did my latest map, prefer the colours this time around. any feedback welcome.
It's a nice fall map, but I think one thing that makes it look a little weird is the grass color. Maybe lower the saturation on the grass a little to give it more of a fall feeling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Genuinely considering making a thread informing people how to Google.
It's time for Da Update...

Prototyping some overworld abilities. Some of the characters you'll meet on your journey can use special overworld skills to travel around. This can be something like digging holes in the ground or getting hints towards your next objective.

Even more things I made.
Equipping Abilities is very important.
fLhHhZjh.gif
demonow.jpg

Eniko: Ghosts Of Grace Alpha Demo is Officially LIVE on Steam!

>> DOWNLOAD AND PLAY THE DEMO ON STEAM NOW!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richard6watkins