Not open for further replies.

Firgof

Artist / Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Working on 4chan's /rpgmg/ collab game, I'm really enjoying the style I've decided on for it.

The Monster Battler art looks cooler in motion imo

9JKEDsu.png
Cog3S04.png
mtAdbfg.png

(Some larger art/shots)

efSPTCj.png
\

NO5Hhqw.png
Warning: Some blood and horror elements are present in the following shots.

lclssi3.png

zPoh6nc.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Iavra thanks very much. I put the skin and icons together myself, though the sword icon is a modified version of one of Avery's icons.

CyndaBytes

Creator and Destroyer of Worlds
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
Test for a cutscene in Bloody Repression.

BRScreenGif01.gif

Makio-Kuta

Canadian Goose
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Strashiner: Very cool battlers and the background is also cool, sadly I feel they don't mesh together as well as they could. The grass texture seems blurry and murkey and not as sharp as even the tree line at the top. I can see where it might be undesirable to pixel the entire background to match the pixel art of the battlers, but even if the bottom half was as sharp as the tree line is, I think that would help a lot. (Same with the menu and the fonts, it almost feels like it's parts from 3 different games put together, rather than having one art direction and style.) The lighting on those trees sure is nice though, and I love some of the colour choices for the background trees in the distance. Nice.

Finally giving MV a spin, along with Indrah and Racheal (Yato, whatever her name is, gee). There's no greater way to take a program for a joy ride then attempting to make a short game in 2 4 days.

Here's the title screen! As it sits on the afternoon of day 2, just because.

A78t3dp.png

KillaMaaki

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Strashiner: I agree with Makio-Kuta. One reason that the background and characters don't mesh well is that the background just looks scaled-down whereas the characters look like they are done pixel-art style. Getting them to really fit together could take a lot of work, though.

@Makio-Kuta Freaking beautiful :o Love the clean style and color choices.

symmetry-evans

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Strashiner, I love the top half of your background, but the flowers on the bottom half look strange to me, I don't think they match as well. Are they blowing by on the screen? I also think it's weird that the monsters are facing right, but the battlers are facing front. It seems to me they should be facing left, toward the monsters.

Mythologix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Recently i watched a few mre videos on Parallax and made a few more edits to my Library. Carpets by doors ended up being useless as more doors will end up blocking them, but thats ok. I changed some of the RTP coloring to make it alittle darker i guess. The NPC for this Library also happens to live here, well atleast has a room here.

The only issue i had is my game resolution was 1280x720 and so was the parallax, however for some reason it appeared distored until i changed the resolution via YEP_CoreEngine to 1024x576 now it looks fine.

FINAL.png

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Mythologix

I'm not sure from your comment about the carpets whether they are still in or now out, but if what's in the image is the latest, then I would suggest a couple of changes.  

Having the 2 short pieces ending the way you do looks incredibly odd, almost as if they are standing on end.  You need to give the illusion that they continue under the door lintel, and so instead of ending with the pattern, put in another 'middle' tile, or end it one tile smaller.  

I don't get the long carpet continuing off into the void.  That lower ceiling tile indicates the end of the room, with no detail beyond it.  Unless that carpet represents a path through some sort of outer world void, it needs to go.

Mythologix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@ksjp17 the long carpet is blocked by a door, when in game you dont see it, the tall doors hide it.  As to the two short pieces on the wall what do you mean I should use the middle tile?

thx

symmetry-evans

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Mythologix

To use the middle tile: Right click on the middle of the long carpet you have in the middle of the room, then hold down SHIFT while clicking at the tops of your 2 short carpets.

Delete the long carpet going up and down in the middle, it's unrealistic, as is having a bed and an empty bookshelf in a library.

Despite these things, your map is a huge improvement to what you had before, and it's looking pretty good so far. You have done a good job so far implementing feedback. Keep working!

Valkyriet

Pocket Panda
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Mythologix

You mentioned it's a library, but why is there a bed then?

It might just be me, but the size of the books looks proportionately bigger than the tables they're on. Just looks a bit weird, is all.

The bookshelves all look identical and it looks strange, but I don't know if you have a choice there (I don't have MV).

Try adding some nice lamps and plants to spruce it up and give the room a warm feeling. Some pictures on the walls might look nice too.

Makio-Kuta

Canadian Goose
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Mythologix: Careful when you adjust colours that you adjust everything else to match. Right now the rug is so glaringly bright compared to everything else that the rugs are going to be the first thing the player sees. They become very distracting because they are so bright compared to everything else. Same with the bed. Though, I would brighten the floor up a bit more first before playing with the other elements. Right now it's hard to see the floor's details at all since it's so dark and it ends up just looking the same as the blackness outside of the room. I agree with everyone else's statements about the rugs - especially the long T shaped one. If you're bent on keeping rugs in that formation - make it two rugs that overlap where the 'T' joint currently is, not one. Rugs don't usually come in abnormal shapes like that. The layout is nice, but yeah - the balance of everything needs some more work.

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
@Somael:

I don't really get the "decaying" feeling.

One of the first things that aged metal loses is the shine. All the rust, dirt and grime deposits and corrosion give it a bumpy and scratched up appearance (see here). While you did a great job adding some red for rust in parts, the base is still too bright/shiny and (as a result) looks too new. So, the red patches read as light paint more than actual rust.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the holes in metal won't be uniform and large like the holes you have in the ground. Instead, they'll take on more of a moth-eaten appearance (see here) where the edges are frayed and spotty. In order for the metal to be so brittle to make a hole, it would have to become very thin. So, you wouldn't have that stone-like edging you have on the metal wall.

If you have Photoshop, here's a link to some free PS brushes featuring a scratchy texture. They should help. :)

SomaelCK

Lv 99 Simple Sheep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Burmese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Somael:

I don't really get the "decaying" feeling.

One of the first things that aged metal loses is the shine. All the rust, dirt and grime deposits and corrosion give it a bumpy and scratched up appearance (see here). While you did a great job adding some red for rust in parts, the base is still too bright/shiny and (as a result) looks too new. So, the red patches read as light paint more than actual rust.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the holes in metal won't be uniform and large like the holes you have in the ground. Instead, they'll take on more of a moth-eaten appearance (see here) where the edges are frayed and spotty. In order for the metal to be so brittle to make a hole, it would have to become very thin. So, you wouldn't have that stone-like edging you have on the metal wall.

If you have Photoshop, here's a link to some free PS brushes featuring a scratchy texture. They should help. :)
Thanks for the advice! Gonna check them out :D

Mythologix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
thx for the input guys, i will change the rugs and work on my coloring alittle more. I am still fairly new to to mapping and parallax. I appreciate the advice.  As to the books i admit i prob should of scaled them down as the tables are from the HF pack and I did not scale those up to 48. I think id rather scale down then up idk which would make it more clear. ATM for recoloring i was using the soft-light technique let me do abit more research see if i just need to know what colors and blends work better.

Thank you guys for your advice, much appreciated.

Makio-Kuta

Canadian Goose
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Mythologix:

Soft light is not the best for recolouring things, it tends to kill a lot of nuances in the original colour palette. The saturation levels get out of whack and it can kill purposeful colour ramps. I would use the hue adjustment (ctrl+u in photoshop) or adjustment layers instead. Crtl+u you can adjust the hue, contrast, and saturation sliders at the same time so you can keep a close eye on all these things.

Last edited by a moderator:

symmetry-evans

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Makio-Kuta You didn't specify which person / map you're referring to. Are you talking about LusianL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Went to see Jujutsu Kaisen 0 yesterday, it was cool. The movie wasnt really a masterpiece, it had some pacing and characterization problems, but overall I enjoyed it, maybe because it was the first anime film I have ever been to in the cinema lol. The battle animation & music were top-notch. I havent seen much of the anime so people who watched the entire season would probably like it more.
MainMenu.PNG
Finally satisfied with the main menu xD

The plan was to have battle sprites in the menu...But these faces from Ocean's Nostalgia look pretty damn good imo. (Will have to adjust for them ofc and maybe recolor to match the overworld/battle sprites more)
It's always disturbing to me to see my cat eating something off the bathroom floor.
Sometimes it works out to not do work on my game for a while. I ran through a playtest today and got about a page of things to fix or improve...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonson