Game & Map Screenshots 7

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Jul 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Tags:
  1. BloodletterQ

BloodletterQ Chaotic Neutral Assassin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

Modifications to Yanfly's BattleStatusWindow. That is a TP bar by the way. Just one more step and that is to remove the window behind the faces and gauges.

Deceius, Fernyfer775 and Marquise* like this.
  2. meowchelle

meowchelle Veteran

Just been working on some inventory UI stuff for my new early project. n_n
    I still don't know how I feel about the window bg color, but I'd like to keep the same type of brown and window border. 

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2016
    Idril, Pern, jonthefox and 5 others like this.
  3. SomaelCK

SomaelCK Lv 99 Simple Sheep Veteran

First Language:
    Burmese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So, here is another sceenshot from Wanda. A peaceful, tranquil, town with... robots?

[​IMG]

4. bigcalsworld

bigcalsworld Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    An update on this, I messed about some more and came up with something I like a hell of a lot more. Not finished yet, plenty of empty space needs to be filled in with something, but I'm definitely liking it. Ignore the random treasure chest though, it was put there to test something lol.

Capture.PNG

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2016
  5. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Inside Witch's Cabin

[​IMG]

jonthefox likes this.
  6. stupid enough to like FF13

stupid enough to like FF13 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Been flaffing around with menus. Figured out a few things. Learning!

[​IMG]

Deceius and jonthefox like this.
  7. Acer2020

Acer2020 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Sup people! Just finished creating this map, I think it turned out well. It's a barn that the protagonist of my game comes to when he wants to escape from the outside world. He's kind of made it his second home. Let me know what you think, thoughts, comments, anything. Thanks!

Barn (Sunset).png

Pern and meowchelle like this.
  8. jonthefox

jonthefox Veteran Veteran

@meowchelle i really like it :)

@lilywhite nice! how did you get the menu to show those ex params?

meowchelle likes this.
  9. Schlangan

Schlangan A madman with a computer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Acer2020 : The map is good, but why is it so empty in the middle ? You could easily shrink it down a bit. Also, why do you have a strong sunlight coming at the same time from the north and the south ?

10. noctiluca

noctiluca Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Diving headfirst into making parallax maps. It's more of a WIP than a screenshot, but it's my first time going the hand-painted route (since my current project only has between 8-10 outdoor maps, I figured why not go for it) so it's kinda exciting for me :D

Sketch of almost the entire map. Some part of the bottom was cut off. A quiet forested area with a cave you can later access after having a bridge built

[​IMG]

And in-game it would probably look something like this:

[​IMG]
    Of course, there's still a ton of detail I haven't even started doing yet. I wish there was an easier way to paint cliff walls D: It's super, suuuuper tedious. I have a whole other mountain/mining zone to do after this one too. Boo.

11. Stridah

Stridah The People's Champion Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hard to say noc since it looks like you have just laid your base colors and done some initial sketching.  When it is zoomed out the grass you used to make the lil path onto the grass patch looks nice, however it looks like it would be to steep to walk up.   For the cliffs you can use a texture to cheat a bit http://www.textures.com

the grass also needs some texture or brush strokes if you are going that route so it does not look so flat.  

12. noctiluca

First Language:
    English
    Hmm, that's odd since it looks like a 45 degree incline to me Dx but the artist always sees things that other people don't, because 2d is confusing that way.

the ledge side itself is slanted away from the camera, kind of nestled up against that rocky craggy place behind it. finishing the shadows might help make that clearer. But if it looks that steep/deceiving I could add some of those wooden logs that act as stairs.

The harder part is figuring out how to show the far left (where there actually is a cliff) and far right side (where the ground depresses) of the map. The lack of perspective and height in top-down view makes that kind of thing really hard to do. I added a generic contour shadow on the right to make it look sunken in, but on the upper left side I'm probably going to have to fill in some dramatic shadow on the pathway to give the mountain an impression of height. as it is right now it kinda looks like the path is leading waaaaaay up, when it really isn't. I don't really want to deal with it so I'm saving it for last haha

Textures don't work though since you can't control the lighting, and you end up with repeating pattern and it ruins the hand-painted aesthetic. And if you paint over them to fix that you may as well do it from scratch anyway :( It's good practice, it just seems to take forever.

I haven't even started laying down shadows or details, or finalized the coloring, so yeah it's like pre-pre-alpha stage. Everything still kinda blends together. Since posting I've already filled in the tree foliage and other vegetation though.

[​IMG]Lot o' trees. Phew. Looks a little more woodsy now.

disclaimer: I HATE the coloring of the thick grass so I'm going to have to change it later (and fix the tree leaves, the shadows aren't deep enough). They looked nice as a gradient but in practice it's way too grayish and blah. I also enlarged the pool a bit because I thought it was too small, but then I realized it obscures the view of the waterfall (well, once I get around to adding it), and I want that to be visible so I'm going to shrink it again.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2016
  13. BCj

BCj Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It's a bit ahrd to see they're trees, I thought it were bushes at first. And I think the Cliffs still feel a bit flat, maybe add some more shadow as to create some more depth?

14. RocketKnight

RocketKnight Broke with expansive taste Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hello everybody! I'm making a new system check it out:

[​IMG]

It's just a visual thing :D

SomaelCK, Marquise* and Ronove like this.
  15. Bura

Bura Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Yesterday I finished the tiles of the kitchen in my RMMV project, and some short animations for a cutscene.

[​IMG]

Idril, Tuomo L, SomaelCK and 35 others like this.
  16. esby

esby eejit Veteran

@Tuomo L - I don't understand your tile choice, cabins are typically made of wood. Even then, there's better stone options you could have used rather than a smooth marble like surface.

@Acer - I'd avoid mixing resources like that, there's some pixel tiles that look really out of place.

Towns are nice and easy to map :D

[​IMG]

Ships on the other hand are dumb and I hate them :(

[​IMG]

Idril, c0sa, Bourgeoise and 25 others like this.
  17. boldpaste2

boldpaste2 The Dragon Heretics Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Have not done this in a while so, here's something! (After doing this, I feel rusty)

[​IMG]

c0sa, Bourgeoise, Marquise* and 13 others like this.
  18. jonthefox

jonthefox Veteran Veteran

@ Esby that town looks really great.  Is that made with XP, or just one of the retro tilesets in Ace?

19. noctiluca

First Language:
    English
    I haven't done anything else with the cliffs. It takes a long, long time to draw and shade every rock so I'm setting it aside for now to get the whole "feel" of the map working instead. I'm probably going to make working drafts of all the other maps before I go back and add the finishing touches.

The bushes thing.... ehhh I really don't see that but to be fair, it's hard to tell because the screenshot is so small. I only filled in the foliage and the trunks were still faint outlines.

[​IMG]

(this is in-game size)

Do they look more like trees with the trunks darkened? (and yes yes I know it looks like they're floating, it's still a WIP. I kinda like the flat black look though, so I'll probably only do minimal shading when I get around to it)

I'm seriously regretting making my tree brush outline-based now, though. I had 60 trees on this map and while this way each one is 100% unique, I doubt anyone would notice and it's taking forever to fill them in black individually. :/ Lesson learned for the next map I guess.

RocketKnight likes this.
  20. BloodletterQ

BloodletterQ Chaotic Neutral Assassin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @boldpaste

Nice job. The only thing it needs is some life.

@noctiluca

The black tree trunks look odd as in incomplete unfortunately. It adds some weird stylistic effect that's even odder with the leaves colored in.

[​IMG]

Further modifications to my battle UI.

Chaos Avian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.