Game & Map Screenshots 7

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Jul 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Tags:
  1. jonthefox

jonthefox Veteran Veteran

@SwarleyPilgrim cool map! I really like it, the only thing I'm confused about is a point of perspective with the green moss/algae.  it doesn't look like it crawls along the varying levels of elevation, so it just kind of looks spray painted onto the screen.  I admire the creative use of the tile, and maybe you get away with it on the left side, but I think the part on the right side needs revision to look more professional.   I also think you should change the ladder to the rocky steps tile, and maybe start them a tile lower than where the ladder currently starts, because as it is now, again, from a perspective point of view, it looks a little strange how the ground which was once below the cliffs starts going above the cliffs, without any transition.  

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2016
  2. SwarleyPilgrim

SwarleyPilgrim Internet Billionaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @jonthefox

- Thanks! I wasn't sure about that green patch on the right =P  It's good to hear that it wasn't just me. I'll play around with that a bit more, and fix up the ground a bit!

jonthefox likes this.
  3. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Sated Loving those colours. Bright purple, bright pink, and bright green on black - nice. It's very easy to read and gives it a sort of old school look that instant appeal for my eyes.

@SquallStorm I like the layouts, but the details seem rather bland. That might look different broken up into smaller screens - because you'll be seeing less seas of one tile at a time, but seeing it like this is just very... vast and samey. Though, this might be bias speaking, I've never been very attracted to world maps for those very reasons. The trees in the desert might be better if they were swapped out for a more desert type of tree or dead trees too. Again, though, the layout is very nice~

@Besu The improvement between the two maps is really nice. As you already said, you've forgotten to put on the bottom of the trees, but just changing the shape of the map and fixing the water tile has done a lot.  I would research shift clicking a bit to touch of the edges of a few things.

The areas of circled in red here would benefit greatly from shift-click maping. You'd be able to tuck the grass inbehind the tree rather than having it cut off like that. It shouldn't be too hard to find a tutorial for it on the forum somewhere - it takes some getting used to but you can make things really nice once you get good at it ;D helps kill off that blocky look a bit.

[​IMG]

@SwarleyPilgrim Very nice layout! What jonthefox pointed out about the moss is certainly the biggest crit I can find with the mapping as well.  It's also a little sad you can't appear to walk over and explore that little area on the far left! Anyway, while I like the mapping, the colour tiny leaves A LOT to be desired. The darks are too dark - it's murdering the details of the tiles. The browns are so similar in colour that they run together and that makes the green the most interesting thing to look at - meaning your eyes are NOT following the player, since they are being dragged to the left and right. Bring back some of the yellow in the brighter browns and reduce the reds, leave the reds in the darker colours, make the greens a little less saturated (actually everything could be due for less saturation and bring back the tiles colour ramps. Lighten the darks up so the details can be seen again. (the bottom of the walls, that log, the blues in the waterfall - they just look black and run together)

4. SquallStorm

SquallStorm Resident Persona 5 Hyper Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Makio-Kuta

For the same reasons, I like world maps.  Dream Chasers is a throwback to many classic games and what I loved about them.  I know world maps are a bit of a subject of debate, but I've always loved them.

5. jonthefox

@ squallstorm, it's definitely much improved, but i'd still add in some hills on the three easternish continents; it looks odd that they don't have many hills.  

6. Banquo

Banquo scoundrel Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I felt like playing around with the POP! Tiles again. Looking forward to the next resource pack:

[​IMG]

7. Chaos17

Chaos17 Dreamer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    I helped a friend tonight to design his futur menu in Ace through Luna Engine, here's the base :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And nope we didn't kept that version in the end, lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2016
  8. Silenity

Silenity Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Got my menu almost the way I want it.

Just need to find out a way to add Location and Play Time to the bottom window and add a custom background. ^_^

Icons by @Avery and @Yanfly

Busts by @Makio-Kuta

Main Menu Manager by @Yanfly

Alt Menu Screen by @Yoji Ojima

Bust Menu by @Galv

Control Text by @Victor Sant

Menu Particles by @Moghunter

Version 1

[​IMG]

Version 2

Changed a quite a bit. Added more icons to the menu.

Added a background and some minor details.

Still trying to figure out how to reduce those gauge widths and add Location/GameTime to the bottom window.

[​IMG]

Version 3

Fixed the gauges and added a few more details. Will eventually detail every menu scene.

Still trying to figure out how to draw Playtime and Location on that bottom window. If any of you know, totally help me out! c:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2016
    Idril, flirion, Jinxed and 6 others like this.
  9. SomaelCK

SomaelCK Lv 99 Simple Sheep Veteran

First Language:
    Burmese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I have to say, this is one of the best screenshots I've seen in a while so far! Good job!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2016
    JackCL likes this.
  10. Schlangan

Schlangan A madman with a computer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @SomaelCK : The water bill will be high at this rate :D

Apart from that, I like the picture. Aren't you missing some cups on the table though ?

Bura likes this.
  11. SomaelCK

First Language:
    Burmese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Eh no, that picture is NOT mine! I just quoted Bura's!

12. Schlangan

Schlangan A madman with a computer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    And that's why you shouldn't quote pictures :D

SomaelCK likes this.
  13. SomaelCK

First Language:
    Burmese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Schlangan Sorry! That screenshot is amazing, I can't resist that.

14. Bura

Bura Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    @ashikai That looks really, really cool! I love isometric views. I want to see more of it already!

@Silenity I really like where this is going! The color palette of the UI matches the portraits, and they contrast nicely with the parchment paper. I suppose you already noticed it, but the last two portraits have some bits sticking out of the paper.

@SomaelCK Whoa, thanks for all the compliments!

@Schlangan oh, you are right about the cups, the table hasn't been set, they don't even have plates yet, haha. Thanks for pointing it out.

ashikai and SomaelCK like this.
  15. Luiishu535

Luiishu535 Coffee Machine Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Decided to update this map with some fixes + an added size to fit the new screen resolution. Please, be

aware that this is a map for the intro of my new game; the player will have no control and only a short

5-10 second cutscene will occur, hence the clutter. Its purpose is fully cinematic.

[​IMG]

I don't like how the new resolution (640 x 480) makes my default map size 20 x 15. If anyone knows a fitting

resolution that will shrink the default map size (square h/y) down to 19 x 15, then please let me know!

16. King Gerar

King Gerar Sword of the Morning Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Luiishu535, it's a beautiful screen. I would edit some parts, like the water outlet on the cliff, but as you said that this scene will be fast, already is very good.
    -
    Well, I made more tiles and testing it now. Not finished yet.

[​IMG]

OBS.: Er... how use spoilers now? O.õ

17. jonthefox

@ King Gerar wow I love how those tiles look!  Looks retro but still vibrant...very well done!

18. meowchelle

meowchelle Veteran

I've been slowly trudging along. Progress... has... been... painful. But I finished most of my main plugins and finally started working on some tiles. 
    I'm about to take a break from my game though cause I am totes burnt out. 

[​IMG]

SomaelCK, Bura, R4B and 3 others like this.
  19. Besu

Besu Noob Maker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    I need some feedback about this Forest's map(again) Sorry for being so tiresome!

Map010.png

Sin título.png

(I think in game it looks really good thanks to Multiple's Fog script, but the script to take screenshots decided that it could not be possible to print a screenshop with the sky tree's shadows :(  )

20. jonthefox

@ besu it looks a lot better with the fog.  However the main critiicsm I would have is the unnatural way you've placed the trees.  On the left side for instance, you've got two clumps of trees...trees don't grow in isolated clusters like that, so it looks weird. :p    Also at the top of the screen, you have 9 trees all in a horizontal line--i would mix them up so that some are higher or lower than the others; it would look more natural that way. 

SomaelCK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.