Not open for further replies.

RaZzi

My Peculiar Brother
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
@Casus : Not feeling the road and the forest is not dense enough if you want to prevent player for entering it without invisible walls. And I think the stone houses look too city like to be build on grass or in a forest. Perhaps some pavement under each house. But great work with the layout of the town and the buildings look nice. 

Zak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
My current WIPs for the past few weeks. I see now that I still need to adjust the dungeon-tiles a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

RyanA

Happy Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Wow. Those are pretty sweet. I especially like that city!

RaZzi

My Peculiar Brother
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
@Zak: Few points: Not liking the hedge fence in the first screenshot and also the wooden archways look odd and unnecessary. Why would someone build something like that if they are not for holding signs? Wooden town looks great! Dungeon plant colours, brightness/saturation/contrast needs adjusting, they stand out too much. Tireswing doens't quite fit in the medieval city and the city has too much empty space. 

Overall: Good job.

My hint to you would be to focus on one map at a time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Zak

Banquo

scoundrel
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Zak:
The forest village looks great! Maybe the position of the guard tower is a bit odd (below the cliff what are they trying to see?). Also on the left side where there is no cliff, the forest could be a bit denser. I use the trees as events so I don't have to bother with layering properly (haven't experienced any lag with a anti-lag script).

The mixed style in the house feels a little uncomfortable. I'd at least make the furniture a bit darker. I don't know. Aren't the furniture from the Dungeons pack an option?

The town looks good, too. Maybe put the house closer together and less arranged in straight lines to make it look more chaotic (=more interesting for the eye).

Beach looks nice.

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'd have to hold shift so much in that city... Fast travel please? :p

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Zak

That last house - you have to walk through someone's bedroom to get to the only communal area i.e. where people eat.  That appears to be the whole house - but where is the kitchen so that they can cook something to eat?  How is the house heated in winter?  There appears to be one window, and no other form of lighting.  I'm not asking for hyper realism, but I think that disregard for how people actually live is one reason why your cities have turned into such a sprawl, particularly the first (rural) one, where you have quite urban-styled houses in what looks more like farmland than a proper city.  I am assuming that the first and second maps go together.  If not, then I suppose I'm really referring to the second map.  That city is going to be a nightmare for the player to navigate, with a huge amount of unnecessary walking.  Everything looks very nice, but I feel that their design as maps has not been thought through sufficiently.

Zak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Fast travel please? :p
Is one of the features, yes. :)

@Zak

That last house - you have to walk through someone's bedroom to get to the only communal area i.e. where people eat.  That appears to be the whole house - but where is the kitchen so that they can cook something to eat?  How is the house heated in winter?  There appears to be one window, and no other form of lighting.  I'm not asking for hyper realism, but I think that disregard for how people actually live is one reason why your cities have turned into such a sprawl, particularly the first (rural) one, where you have quite urban-styled houses in what looks more like farmland than a proper city.  I am assuming that the first and second maps go together.  If not, then I suppose I'm really referring to the second map.  That city is going to be a nightmare for the player to navigate, with a huge amount of unnecessary walking.  Everything looks very nice, but I feel that their design as maps has not been thought through sufficiently.
About the last house: It's one of the houses of the little village in the forest. Storywise, it's a hidden and isolated village between a big forest, completely made out of wood. Originally the place was not supposed to harbor so many people there but after some years it became a problem and they needed to find a quick solution.

I think the city will be fine to navigate. It's a three part hub-town with some fast travel-options. At different points in the city will be maps where you can see all visitable stores in the area so I don't think it will be that complicated to go around. My only concerns were the repeating house-designs - but it will be fine inGame.

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
@Celianna

The windowskin colors fits well for a modern look, but I think you should make the flowers a color that blends with the rest of the textbox more, it's kind of distracting when reading the text.

Right now I'm trying to make a snow village, but I feel like it's missing detail. So I'll post here for feedback.

Of course, I plan to tint it a bit and add a snow weather effect.

Banquo

scoundrel
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Celianna:

Is the skin for a dating-sim? I have no idea what you have in mind for a more modern skin, but this looks totally fine. I think it fits in well.

And to be honest I'm more curious about how the city tiles are coming along! These look lovely!

@Seacliff:

Maybe you can give the town a more unregular shape. The edges shouldn't be completely straight lines. Maybe replace part of the fence with a small forest or a cliff. Maybe even add some different height levels within the city itself.

Other than that, spread the interesting locations across the town. Switch the item and weapon dealers with two houses the bottom. Give the town distinctive areas. For example:

Move the grave next to the church, add a few more graves. Maybe move the church a bit further south.

Leave the pup and the inn where they are, next to the entrance.

Have the shopping-center in the south-west.

Add a slightly bigger house (maybe for a mayor) in the center. Just for the looks.

Place the unimportant houses evenly across the map.

Add some (natural) barriers to force the player to move certain paths. Keep him/her busy.

DeviTheHuman

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Zak - The dungeon cave could use some shadowing along the edges, especially at the bottom left where the pool meets the wall. Also, in the last picture of the open field, some of the trees appear to be cut off on the left side. I agree with the sentiment about the home. The first thing I noticed is that a person appears to have a bedroom in the living room, which seems a little awkward. I would close the space off with a wall, combine the tubroom with the washroom and turn the newly opened space into the community area. The bue/white bedroom seems a little weird too but mostly because there is a room at the bottom left with a dresser in it but you have a dresser in the bedroom. That should probably be turned into a bathing room.

@Seacliff - Mixing in different types of trees and doing some clumping will fill in some the empty space and add visual interest to your map.

Quigon

electric boogaloo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ah IGMC, I tried, I failed - no worries. Gonna keep going with this anyway I reckon. This is a (fairly big) map of a tower climb outdoors in a storm. Just a playtest screenshot so the clouds/rain is animated in game of course. There're probably a few perspective issues (3/4 angle sure is fun to make vertical maps) but I'm pretty happy with it for the most part.

@Seacliff - I'd tone down all the white stuff and add some more colour for variation.

Banquo

scoundrel
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Quigon:
Impressive! The stairs look odd though, like going straight up at a 90° angle. The bottom or top end should stand off a few tiles from the walls. The longer the stairs, the more they stand off.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Quigon:

The shadows are most of the time wrong.

At night, it can only come from the moon, which is visible in your case in the center of the screen, yet your shadows have a top-left origin for the light source.

Also, some elements cannot cast shadows as they are behind solid walls. This is especially noticable in the bottom section of your map, where two statues cast shadows. Where is the light source?

And if you want a realistic scene, you cannot have such a heavy rain while not having clouds and seeing the full moon, but that's probably me being too nitpicky here. Most players probably won't mind.

Celianna

Tileset artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Quigon: Agreed with Cabfe. You can really turn this into an awesome map with the correct moon lighting. Erase all your custom shadows, create a new layer. Pick a light blue colour. Brush in highlights where the moonlight would be visible, like around the edge of the bridge for example, it would especially cast a moonlight shape as well. Try to give everything an edge of lightblue sine the moonlight is shining behind it.

Quick example:

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@arteria

I would soften the edges of the light coming in the windows - a bit of Gaussian blur should do it.

You have sunlight streaming in from the windows and lit candles everywhere.  I suggest you edit those tiles so that you don't have lit candles but something else, because at the moment it looks very odd.

You have an upmarket feel with some of the tiles you have chosen e.g. the ornate carving on the counter, the elaborate cupboard at the back, which clashes with the downmarket clutter you have included e.g. that tall crate bottom right corner (who keeps a crate like that in the public area of an inn?) and the open sacks under the stairs.  I think you need a slightly more consistent choice to your tiles.

Miss Nile

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Egyptian Arabic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In addition to what ksjp17 said, I suggest completing the ceiling borders around the room? It looks very odd at the moment although it could be a matter of personal preference. Also, you might try darkening the room a little so that your light sources give a more 'illuminating' feeling.

Arteria

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Oh thanks a lot for the feedback, i will check it.. btw here is the same map at night:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I really need to stop thinking there are new freebies just because someone made a new post in the freebies subforum lol.
AND just like that..... I got STEAM DLC up and working! YES!
Game making is like a marathon, except the last 1/4 is more like sprint... a very long and intense sprint.
Finally got to finish the demo for my project!
Another week has gone by. Maybe you made changes to your project/s. Maybe you didn't. Nonetheless, THAT IS NO EXCUSE TO NOT BACK THEM UP O_O!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AZAIKING