Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Since you're going through all that trouble of parallaxing, you might want to try playing with the tree colors a little.  Right now they look a little acidic and similar in hue with the grass.

esby

eejit
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Myst88 - Looks pretty good. The cliffs on the left hand side are a little too straight and I think where it jumps in elevation would look a little bit better if it was either a one or two tile increase rather than the three.

Sinweaver -  The parallaxing looks good, I like that the path has a tiny bit depth to it, but I think I would find that map really unappealing in game. It's just a straight walk for 30 tiles, from your previous screens I'm hoping it might just be a cutscene map.

I was going have a tower in my game but it was really bugging me and didn't make a whole lot of sense, so I decided it would be better off as a mansion B)

XTJPic5.png

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Myst88 - Looks pretty good. The cliffs on the left hand side are a little too straight and I think where it jumps in elevation would look a little bit better if it was either a one or two tile increase rather than the three.

Sinweaver -  The parallaxing looks good, I like that the path has a tiny bit depth to it, but I think I would find that map really unappealing in game. It's just a straight walk for 30 tiles, from your previous screens I'm hoping it might just be a cutscene map.

I understand, that is one of the main road so it is not too windy, but yeah, it will be used in a cutscene that will force the players to take the windy forest path. 

There will be 2 other main roads branching out of the 2nd village, and I will keep your advise in mind and add a bit more twist to them. Thanks!

Bura

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
@esby I love the maps of your game and the way you do the illumination, the mansion looks great!

@RitoJS I'm loving the big trees and the fact that it doesn't look repetitive! How tall are the characters of your game?

This is the latest map I finished, the main character waking up in an unfamiliar room:

A4U5B7c.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Haha, I love it.  Pretty pink room, giant sniper rifle in the corner, bewildered soldier in the bed.  Your shadows are wrong, the stuff with the most tilt should actually be the farthest away, the stuff right next to the window should be fairly straight.  You've also got some items in the room that have the tops the same shade as the sides which is flattening the perspective, but that's really a resource thing, it's kind of off topic to discuss that sort of thing here.  Great mapping, it tells a good story.

Bura

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Haha, I love it.  Pretty pink room, giant sniper rifle in the corner, bewildered soldier in the bed.  Your shadows are wrong, the stuff with the most tilt should actually be the farthest away, the stuff right next to the window should be fairly straight.  You've also got some items in the room that have the tops the same shade as the sides which is flattening the perspective, but that's really a resource thing, it's kind of off topic to discuss that sort of thing here.  Great mapping, it tells a good story.

Hey, thanks! That's actually really good advice, I don't know how I didn't see the wrong perspective in the shadows, I guess I was too tired by then, how embarrassing, hahaha. I really appreciate it!

ash55

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Bura Epic. Love the warm colour scheme. Is this in the past?

KaYsEr

Koruldia
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hi everybody, hope your gamedev is going well.

I'm having "fun" (well, for the first 10 minutes everyday at least ;p) with my GFX conversion from ACE2MV.

ver_acevsmv_889.png

Takes even longer than I expected... (which is saying a lot since I thought it would take forever)

Tsukitsune

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@KaYsEr I always love seeing your screenshots! Be careful reworking too many things though, you may never get your project finished and then I won't be able to play your game.

So I posted a forest map a few days ago and I remade it for my own project.  

Here is the final map and the old map for comparison.

VS

Aaand a gif with the animated hidden waterfall that I wanted to do in the previous map but couldn't figure out a way that looked good!  Then there's my process.

BD-Entrance%20Animated_zpsnwpaoys8.gif

I'm thinking about doing some parallax mapping tutorials.  Would anyone want to learn the battleback parallax mapping style (above)?  Also any requests on a particular type of map you'd like to learn how to create?

Lucy Fox

Chosen Undead
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Wow, that looks pretty cool! O: That's a huge jump from the old map compared to the new one.

I just think the waterfall should have some more frames. Atm it appears very unnatural and way too slow for water.

Double the frames and it should be fine :D

The Art of Gaming

Owner of the Green Tunic in Dreamland
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Here's a main town map from an rpg i've been working on. I dunno why but it just looks kinda bland to me...Map003.png

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@the art of gaming - i really like the vibe it has of a "town on a hill." - feels very unique, so i think there is a lot of potential here.   It does need some more detail; you have a lot of empty space on the grass.  I also might suggest using one or two other roof tiles, 4 times for that distinctive marbled color is pretty repetitive.  finally, i don't think those stone tiles work for the blacksmith, i see them as more meant for like a temple or old ruins.  

KaYsEr

Koruldia
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
N/A
@KaYsEr I always love seeing your screenshots! Be careful reworking too many things though, you may never get your project finished and then I won't be able to play your game.

Thanks :)  You are right, we should always be careful not to put too much time into perfectionism, it can be hard to know where and when to stop. (no boss to scream behind our back ^^)

Your map's level design looks good, great waterfall. As @Lucy Fox said, it would be better with more frames, but you can also try to simply speed up the actual amount of frame, could do the trick.

Tsukitsune

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Lucy Fox & @KaYsEr Thanks guys, modified the speeds the frames switch to 15 and 12 respectively.  Which one looks better?  Or should I try a different speed?

----------------

@The Art of Gaming I like the layout of the map, you just need to add more detail/decorations.  There's too much blank space.

@Strashiner do you mean the waterfalls? I could def do a guide on that.

KaYsEr

Koruldia
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yes, the .gif on the right looks good now. ;)

Craig

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tsukitsune

WOW! I mean, holy crap! That map is insane! The one on the right at 12 frames looks great! Please please please consider doing some tutorials how you do this "battle back" parallaxing!

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Tsukitsune: Maybe it's the recording, but the 15 fps version looks slower than the 12 fps one.

It looks better now, but it raised another problem. The little pond on the bottom right is moving too fast now. If you can animate them at a different speed, it'll be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Is RPG Maker VX (rgss2) still relevant? xD
ZyCHqk2.png

Something about top-downs.
I have never felt so attacked by a tree before :LZSlol: it took 10++ hours to make but at least it looks pretty LOL

Untitled-1.png
now seems like the worst time for me to need a better computer with how much stuff is costing. that and I don't thing there's much else I can do to make MV run any better with what I have.
Sigh... to have some variety in this weather. More than just sun and rain and wind and thunder.
In the meantime, I've discovered that I'm slowly becoming fatigued from the many sleepless nights my neighbors cause. Or at least their dogs. Always barking at something.
I might need a day to just sleep and recharge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucifersatan2