SpacemanFive

Meteor Mage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Wow. That's some SERIOUS improvement with the map with the waterfall. That looks incredible. I'd love to be able to make my maps look that good.

Also, depending on the location and weather, it might also work to put mist around the base of the waterfall, although I also like how it looks like the water just comes down smooth, like some modern fountains, which is also cool.

SaiScott

Ikishin Founder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Would like criticism on this area. It's the "forest entry" area, just north of the character's hometown.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/JAoLvul.png[/IMG]

Here's the game's hometown, which is mostly complete. Mostly need criticism for the above, but wouldn't mind hearing thoughts on the below.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/gskM9oB.png[/IMG]

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@SaiScott That's a cool spring you've got in the middle of it.   Overall I would say the map is a tad on the empty side - I would suggest adding some thick grass and even more foliage/flowers/stumps/logs/rocks.   Or maybe just some patches of path / dirt.  Basically, that middle ring around the water looks like it's empty/missing stuff so I would add to it.  Other than that, good job.  

SaiScott

Ikishin Founder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I've updated the map a little.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/zfu6YwR.png[/IMG]

Strashiner

Ambitious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Tsukitsune

Actually the more I look at the waterfall , it seems you are using overlays as the little rocks to create the hallucination of the fountain being behind and secure on the hill.

so in otherwords, its a wide screen of animated tiles, however, the overlays cover up portions of it to give it that watery effect

pretty smart!

maybe that's how you did it?

not so sure.

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@SaiScott looks a bit better.   Btw, nitpicky thing, but i find the flowers on the dirt tiles look out of place - i'd keep them to on the grass.

Chaos17

Dreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
@Tsukitsune : the waterfall is better in your revamp but I prefered the forest before. It was more easier for the eyes to read your first map.

@SaiScott : look at your second screenshot with the village and try to do the same with your first screenshot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tsukitsune

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Craig Thanks, I'll let you know whenever I finish one!

@cabfe You'll notice how I said " speeds the frames switch" and not FPS.  The parallax image switches every X amount of frames, so every 12 frames > switch to next image.  That's why 12 is faster than 15.  Both gifs were recorded in 30 FPS.  Also yeah the small pond is unfortunately part of the whole picture, you can't exactly just animate different sections with the script I"m using.  It is revolving 3 frames though, I might be able to extend it to 4 and have 2 of the frames repeat.  That should make the waterfall even smoother and should hopefully slow down the pools of water.  

@SpacemanFive Thank yous, the idea with the mist is something I forgot to consider.  I may end up doing that, we'll see.  I remember AK47 did some amazing waterfall maps that had mist. ~inspiration

@Strashiner Interesting guess, but not quite that complicated haha.  It's just 3 images cycling back and forth, water, pool, cliffs, and grass were made by heavily editing battlebacks.
@Chaos17 Which part is difficult to read?  The pathing should be fairly the same.  If you're referring to the hidden path that leads to the back of the waterfall, that's because it's part of a puzzle mechanic.  You can see the entrance to the cliffs if you look at the reflections.  Also a little thing that's not shown in those examples, ingame it's going to actually be black and white except for the water.  That's due to plot reasons and how Spectrum Seeker works.

----

Made an Inn/tavern thingy.  Lighting may be off in some areas, I'm honestly not the best at it haha.  Also not worth spending several hours trying to get them perfect.. 

Need more practice working on interior in general, much prefer doing outside maps.  

Aranel

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Hey there!

I started RPG Maker a while ago, and I'm currently working on designing areas.
In the image you can see one of the first area's you'll encounter. I hope to create all area's in somewhat the same quality.
My problem: I'm thinking of having the world map as just a map, because it doesn't blend well in detail as my other areas.
But how would i create the roads between towns?
I don't want the player to get bored with constant walking around for long without anything interesting happening. I still want them to have that feeling of having travelled.
maybe short road maps, where the area becomes darker to represent nighttime? have them camp between two small road maps?

any suggestions as to what you would like to experience?

Thanks in advance,

Aranel x

rabbit forest.png

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Aranel It's quite good! What I would suggest is, in the top-left area, the perspective looks like there is empty space between the trees and the bottom of the cliff. Covering the bottom of the cliff with the canopy tiles would make it look better, in my opinion.

As for myself, instead of doing actual productive work, I listened to the dungeon battle theme from The 7th Saga for half an hour while I played around in Paint.net and the script editor. Productivity!

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/MUvarZo.png[/IMG]

RitoJS

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
The window skin is yours ?

Simple but nice to see.

Title screen edit (from a old project):

title-optimize.gif

Aranel

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
@Aranel It's quite good! What I would suggest is, in the top-left area, the perspective looks like there is empty space between the trees and the bottom of the cliff. Covering the bottom of the cliff with the canopy tiles would make it look better, in my opinion.

@lilyWhite  that empty space is where the players come out from after jumping down the rabbit hole and running through the dungeon. I guess I could alter it so they'll come out on top of the cliffs, but I think For the moment I'll leave it like that. Thanks for the advice anyway :)

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@RitoJS it looks great but it's really weird seeing dialogue in English and then menu options in French(?), it's just feels a little awkward.

RitoJS

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
@Prescott Haha yeah. I only create new picture for the moment.

I'll start editing them when I'll finish the text translation.

Sated

puking up frothing vitriolic sarcastic spittle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
GR81tH9.png

I really like mapping hills and mountains. This one may need a few different doodads to liven it up, though...

The Art of Gaming

Owner of the Green Tunic in Dreamland
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@the art of gaming - i really like the vibe it has of a "town on a hill." - feels very unique, so i think there is a lot of potential here.   It does need some more detail; you have a lot of empty space on the grass.  I also might suggest using one or two other roof tiles, 4 times for that distinctive marbled color is pretty repetitive.  finally, i don't think those stone tiles work for the blacksmith, i see them as more meant for like a temple or old ruins.  

Thanks for the critique I updated it a bit following your suggestion.

Map003.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

ScreenShot_8_19_2022_2_3_18.png
FINALLY got the mood system in the game during battle. Since the game is called Panic Attack, I figured you should have certain moods present including Panic. so the main 3 or Hype, Depressed, and Anxious. Panic is only when stunned.
Red_V2.png
Red's design is finally finished (his hair is blue on purpose, it's a joke!). Out of all of the compulsory party members, he spends the most time with you. Just like the character he's based on, he presents himself as a simple person who only wants to help others, but there's obviously more to him than meets the eye.
I drew the cover for my new book. I don 't like to entrust this work to someone else )

WM8Xp2VYvg8.jpg
So if I wanted to share little video clips of my game on here... without using youtube... what would be the most ideal way to do that? FWIW, I use Mega a lot to upload videos and just share the links with my friends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infernyx