cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Why am I brought into this? I never said anything like that. I don't think I even got a reply by cabfe on the map.

Don't worry. It looks like it's a bug, considering that it happened to someone else a few hours later.

No harm done ;)

SomaelCK

Lv 99 Simple Sheep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Burmese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow! It seems everyone's doing very well with their maps lately!

@Bura , I can even hear the "splash" "splosh" from here. Well done! Nice animation too! (and them fireflies)

@RocketKnight, your maps are always vibrant! Full of small details! And amazing that you are doing it with VX ace!

@Prescott, nice edit! The tiles look round and smooth. Kinda give me cozy feeling.

Time to show what @HaruAkira has done lately for Wanda! It's a desolate fortress of some sort. As we did before, each map has its own dominant colour and theme to create an atmosphere of a hostile and war-torn land.

Wanda_Fortress_%20preview.png

Stridah

The People's Champion
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
that was me not kanax who said that btw not sure why it came as a quote or how that happened.

Nova

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
@SomaelCK

Wow, very nice! It really captures the feeling of desolateness. I also like the high resolution  :rwink:

Here, in Greenwood Town, the player is standing in front of their house with their Feleafy by their side. 

[IMG]http://d85.imgup.net/ezgifcom-v9ea7.gif[/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator:

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SomaelCK I'm loving every map you post. They're seriously all so awesome.

I mentioned that those aren't the final graphics I'm using, but more of a representation of what the graphics will kind of look like. Just not RTP xD those are purely placeholders.

Is there anything I should change with the composition of the map itself?

Strashiner

Ambitious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
So the tree looks like popcorn

HAHAHA!

just kidding,

this is the updates. I haven't updated because I've made over 30 maps...

ive gotten so engrossed in it I rarely update myself

jet lag's gone

hope you like it.

CASEBUMI.png

CASEGIRL.png

EDIT:

ART BY MARIMO SHE'S AWESOME!

Aceri

Author
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey everybody. I recently got back into the RPG Maker stuff and I've been struggling to do maps worth anything. I can't do an outside to save my life, and my interiors all look like they're missing something but I can't figure it out so I was wondering if I could get any feedback being as how I couldn't find a WIP thread, and this isn't about a specific project, just me trying to get back my mapping abilities. This is what I was doing prior to taking my extended break from RPG Maker:
Past.png

And this is what I am able to do now, and it makes me feel like I'm always missing something:

Present.png

I should note that the top one is VXAce with the DS/+ tilesets, and the one at the bottom is just default RPG Maker MV, though I figure the basic principles are more than likely the same. Any help in the matter would be appreciated as I hate feeling like I'm not doing it right.

Oh and I know parallaxing can help quite a bit, but if I can't even do basic mapping(or at least feel like I can) then I think parallaxing is a bit out of my reach at the moment. Thank you in advanced.

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Aceri The VXA map is lovely, however the MV map made me cringe a little. The default tileset makes object that is supposed to be right next to the wall look odd. Before I started making parallax maps, I tend to shift objects up/down by 12 pixels or whatever amount that make them look more natural. 

I made this recently for avitron as part of my practice at parallax mapping.. 

I think the sunbeam can be turned down a little, and the uneven bumps on the bottom right side can be improved.

The shadow underneath the tree may seem a little too strong in the screenshot, but they seemed just right ingame.

The waterfall and the river are the animated autotile from RTP.. they are animated ingame as well.

Thoughts, anyone?

jmjIgfI.jpg

IAmJakeSauvage

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Aceri The VXA map is lovely, however the MV map made me cringe a little. The default tileset makes object that is supposed to be right next to the wall look odd. Before I started making parallax maps, I tend to shift objects up/down by 12 pixels or whatever amount that make them look more natural. 

I made this recently for avitron as part of my practice at parallax mapping.. 

I think the sunbeam can be turned down a little, and the uneven bumps on the bottom right side can be improved.

The shadow underneath the tree may seem a little too strong in the screenshot, but they seemed just right ingame.

The waterfall and the river are the animated autotile from RTP.. they are animated ingame as well.

Thoughts, anyone?

I think the sunbeams/bump mapping on the bottom right should be turned down (like you said). Have you looked into sponge brushes for the paths? They still look really smooth (not worn) from what I can see. Also, if you're using Panda's trees you might want to recolor the grass tile to match somewhat - you have these understated trees and this super obnoxious grass - it kind of clashes. 

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I think the sunbeams/bump mapping on the bottom right should be turned down (like you said). Have you looked into sponge brushes for the paths? They still look really smooth (not worn) from what I can see. Also, if you're using Panda's trees you might want to recolor the grass tile to match somewhat - you have these understated trees and this super obnoxious grass - it kind of clashes. 

No, I turned the saturation of the tree leaves down so that they are different from the grass. Last issue I had was that the color for the tree leaves are too similar with the grass. The most I will do to the grass is add an adjustment layer that turns the saturation level down to around -30 to -40 for green and -30 for the yellow. 

Edit:

As for the path brush, I am using acrylic 5 from gimp. I guess I can apply a bit of grass on the path and make them slightly more worn out

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
In response to your feedback, I have made some changes...

Perhaps this version is better.

Azjh0ki.jpg

The submerged part of the riverbank is supposed to have a lower opacity, but with that darker layer with the river underneath, the transparency is lost.

Lucy Fox

Chosen Undead
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@SomaelCK I really hope the gameplay and story will be as great as your maps. (Cause I will totally buy this. D: ) Just by looking at the map gives me the feeling of looking on an old abandoned place. And I feel like I have to explore this beautiful place <3

@ Nova This simply stile is cute! *-* And I love how the flowers are waving in the wind.Just the propellor seems a bit odd, cause you see it from the front, but one blade's perspective doesn't seem to be... "correct" :)

SomaelCK

Lv 99 Simple Sheep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Burmese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Lucy Fox, the game is intended to be a simple minimalist game with minimalist style of narrative and gameplay . It's pretty similar to A Bird Story, if we have to compare, with a few puzzles here and there. If you like those type of games, I promise, Wanda will be great for you :)

ash55

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Nova Looks very pokemon-esque. My only suggestion would perhaps be to use outlines other than black. So for the roof, use a dark red outline, for the tree, dark green, for the wood, dark brown. I think it'd look nicer and also make the black-outlined character stand out against the colour background. Oh and just random thing but the propeller looks a little odd to me since each blade isn't 120 degrees apart. Don't want this to sound critical though (just trying to think of suggestions to further improve), I think it looks pretty damn cool and perfectly nails the nostalgic feeling.
@Bura Already posted on reddit I think but want to reiterate that looks cool as hell. =]
@Sinweaver I like the soft shadows under the trees. It makes the map look very organic.
@SomaelCK Looks cool, definitely the game has a very unique and imaginative look to it.

McSundae

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
@ Nova This style is just digging, i truely love it - just one minor detail you could improve, the fan at the bottom is not really triangle like positioned. Could look better if the space between each part is the same ;-) But that is critic on a very high level, you could actually improve nothing and go commercial :)

@Sinweaver Pretty nice parallax map :) I really like that road and the use of the trees.

But you could improve the shadow under the bridge ;-)

IAmJakeSauvage

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In response to your feedback, I have made some changes...

Perhaps this version is better.

The submerged part of the riverbank is supposed to have a lower opacity, but with that darker layer with the river underneath, the transparency is lost.

That looks amazing now! The grass/opacity made a huge difference - and really lets your mapping skills shine!

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That looks amazing now! The grass/opacity made a huge difference - and really lets your mapping skills shine!

Thanks. I figure that you really disliked that type of grass, so I decided to try something new.

Although at first I may not quite agree right away, but I can definitely see the improvement and will pay more attention to my grass choices

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
qF865bA.jpg

Playing around with light intensity and behavior. Thoughts, anyone?

The room is supposed to be a dimly lit room where a family of 3 are discussing their escape plan in secret.

Is the lighting not dim enough? Should i make the corner of the room darker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

What happens with this list, is it currently possible to buy any of these RPGMAKER at least those that are for PC?

Combat skill combination demostration
grief... finding a font that works with the engine has been a bigger process than I thought it'd be. doesn't help MV loves to scrunch letters next to each other like a football huddle.
The new Phoenix plugin. I drew icons and an interface into it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fajar82