Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
First attempt at parallax mapping.

View attachment 32262
 The grass and the path are pretty good. I would make the grass colors a bit more differentiated though. Your trees need some work, mostly because I compare them to how well you tended to your ground. Try to get rid of the custom shadows, cast some shadows on the trees that are further back, make some discolorations in the leaves of some trees. That's pretty much it. Oh, and stick some details, like flowers, rocks, etc, beneath the trees.

Luke•°

★✮✭✩✭✮★
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
and.. finally i finished this map.

fd6npTZ.png

sealofgold_zpsy1btkseo.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@a noble wolf that looks really, really good. And really massive! Be aware that it may lag A LOT during actual gameplay, though. If I were you I would heavily consider splitting it up into four quadrants. If you're keeping it this size, you may not be able to use much animations or anything of that nature without it lagging way too much.

I would also consider shifting it to the right by one tile, and painting the rest of the water on the top left ice cap, on the left side of it. It looks strange being the end of the map right there. Then do the same thing with the bottom and top of the map too. Just make sure you have at least one tile of shallow water space on the islands and they aren't just stopping right where the map is.

Lucy Fox

Chosen Undead
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@°•Luke•° That reminds me so much of Pillars of Eternity. The way the lighting is used and the detailed textures...

That's really impressive!

I just miss smoke from all the chimneys :D

Luke•°

★✮✭✩✭✮★
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@°•Luke•° That reminds me so much of Pillars of Eternity. The way the lighting is used and the detailed textures...

That's really impressive!

I just miss smoke from all the chimneys :D

Thank you.  Well, is a abandoned village, so.. there's no one to light up the chimneys.  :p

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm making a town for the birthday bash event, I know it's completely bare, but what I wanted to ask is about the layout: I feel it's kind of boring. What do you think? As a side note the town is scheduled for a monster attack that same night, do you think that maybe I should make it a little more packed together to force encounters or maybe you think I should give it some other shape, I dunno.

image.png

EDIT: Made the map much more interesting. I think I'm happy with it now.

image.png

I figured that I don't have to make every house visitable.

Phonantiphon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Nirwanda: The second one does look better, and no, not every house has to be one you can visit...

New screens, finally got my tints sorted, much happier with the colours...

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/iSG3MuZ.png[/IMG]

Really pleased, personally, with how it's going.

Here's another shot with my new autotiles for the highway, they are my very first and I'm really excited about them!! :D

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/rxNqTbR.png[/IMG]

Thanx again to CC Simple Light and Amaranth Super Simple Mouse. :)

I have some custom icons for the mouse, which I'll put up later...

a noble wolf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@a noble wolf that looks really, really good. And really massive! Be aware that it may lag A LOT during actual gameplay, though. If I were you I would heavily consider splitting it up into four quadrants. If you're keeping it this size, you may not be able to use much animations or anything of that nature without it lagging way too much.

I would also consider shifting it to the right by one tile, and painting the rest of the water on the top left ice cap, on the left side of it. It looks strange being the end of the map right there. Then do the same thing with the bottom and top of the map too. Just make sure you have at least one tile of shallow water space on the islands and they aren't just stopping right where the map is.

Thank you Prescott,

I have adjusted the map it is now 255x182. I have not notices much lag. I do not plan on there being much animations, mainly transfer points (towns, villages, dungeons, etc.) to be honest this map is considerable smaller than I had planed, do to the smaller map sizes.

Thank you again for your input.

Map002.png

Iavra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If the effect doesn't need to be calculated dynamically, you are probably better served with using an overlay picture, instead. If i ever manage to get my filters right, i might be able to offer you a different lighting engine (seriously, i hate those filters).

Chaos17

Dreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
If the effect doesn't need to be calculated dynamically, you are probably better served with using an overlay picture, instead. If i ever manage to get my filters right, i might be able to offer you a different lighting engine (seriously, i hate those filters).

Hi,

It's actualy an overlay picture.

Khaus's plugin has different layer and one of them is for the "lights".

But it's okay, the result I've here is better than the one I made in photoshop.

Though, I always like to try new lights plugins that works with parallax.

@Musashi Shadows are important, if you began to put one, you've to put on others too. That makes me think I've to install a plugin that put a shadow on my heroine, lol

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just for practicing, trying some stuff  :)

It has room for a lot of improvement, but I didn't wanted to spend more time on it =/ 90 minutes was my limit for this one xD

Even though the map have a nice overall look, I think you have totally neglected the finer details. The shadows.

Ground clutter (the branches) doesn't work like that. You wont see a pile of fallen branches and leaves in one spot and nowhere else unless there's a reason for them to act that way (i.e. someone sweeping the floor)

The curvature of the cliffs does not match the curvature of the water, which I find rather annoying, but I guess (but not really) I can brush it off if the explanation is that the cliff changes its shape along the way. 

Edit:

Another thing is the grass stairs at the bottom. If the area that is frequently walked on are a mix of dirt and grass patches, why is the stair is green? 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

The worst text you can get from a friend "You left your webcam on!!!
When you start recoloring your character because lawsuits are expensive:

lawsuits are bad.png
Been busy in Fort Myers and I'm spending tonight and tomorrow in Orlando. Then I go home on Tuesday by train (I take the Amtrak) and rest up before work on Wednesday.
I'm going to make a thread on the forum asking an interesting question... about the next RPG Maker!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown-Tale