Just being a sleepy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
BX7gUMs.png

To celebrate the completion of my interior tiles, here's another map. Now I have to go to exteriors.

May God have mercy on my soul.

EDIT: The character holding the lamp is not my own. Credit goes to looseleaf.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@°•Luke•°

Narrow streets are absolutely my favourites ; gives a realistic and a bit creepy atmosphere, reminds me of european medieval cities. Wasn't a good place to be at night :D

@KanaX

I like it but I have a problem with the repository where the character stands, it seems it has been placed there for plot convenience ; how can you access to the books that are behind it ? You should make it wood, with wheels, seems more realistic in my opinion :)  Or arrange the room so that the library adapts itself to the room, and not the opposite !

Are the footprints dynamic, by the way ? looks great ! Keep going :)

KanaX

Just being a sleepy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
@LuthIt's just a map to show off the graphics :)

Banquo

scoundrel
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Working on a few maps with PV Games' new resource packs:

rKX44Uo.jpg

If you layer the grass from the Outside_5 sheet several times (only with parallax mapping) you'll get much nicer, fluffier grass than the basic grass auto_tile of the pack imo. See the upper left corner.

Aoi Ninami

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If it helps, its connected to the ocean on the left, just 2 maps away? :p

No, that doesn't help. You have a long lengthwise river with a waterfall in the middle, so the river is flowing from both sides towards the top of that waterfall. Now you say the ocean is on the left, which means the river on that side is flowing directly away from the ocean, along the top of a cliff, to find a way down and cut back in a U-turn. Instead, the water would naturally erode the ground much earlier and form a waterfall or gorge straight down into the ocean.

PsychicToaster

Best Clairvoyant Appliance 2018
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Practicing parallax mapping(but not lighting because I am clueless and will probably just use a lighting script if at all possible) with PVGames Medieval tiles. I discovered the "Flow" option for the brushes today and it really helps with blending the ground textures. I work on about 30% flow so it doesn't paint too quickly and allows the brush to really get that lightly blended look. I'm a total parallax map scrub, I just started last week and I've done maybe 5 practice maps so far. All in all, I don't think it looks too bad. There's some problem spots I'm noticing, like the rock up north where the path begins, it did not overlap the way I had intended it to so it looks almost like a large rock is telling gravity it doesn't care and will sit on the small rock all it wants. The bottom right area needs some more oomph too it as well IMO.

Bl8VJNy.png

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hey, could someone help me with how to map this?  I'm making a short game for the birthday bash contest, and this is supposed to be a modern (but relatively cheap) 1 bedroom apartment.  I don't have the time (or skills) to make this some great map, BUT specifically I have a question about how to do the rug to the bedroom here.  Here are two screenshots with two different ways of transitioning the rug to the wooden floor.  Thank you in advance.

Spoiler

rug2.png

rug1.png

KanaX

Just being a sleepy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
@jonthefox I'd say that the outline helps a little bit with the transition from the wooden floor to the carpet. Something that you might want to change is the huge empty space on the top left corner that's filled with the roof tile. It's more of a nitpick, but I think that something like this:

qrgGHQ9.png

might look better.

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@jonthefox There are simple things you can do to make the furniture look better. I used to strip the tileset of everything that is not exactly useful / objects that is not up to my standard. Then I'll have enough space to move tiles a few pixels up/down (i stopped using the editor so I can't remember the exact pixels off the top of my head). The rest is just related to adjusting the passability issue. 

I usually end up with 2-3 sets of every interior (most of the furnitures are different) tiles since I have to really optimize my tileset instead of having a "general" tileset for interiors. This takes a bit of thinking/work but its worth it imo, especially if you spend more time using the editor instead of parallax mapping.

Phonantiphon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@jonthefox: I think the second one looks better but I would keep the top left as it is, personally, rather than blank it, as - I think - if you blank it will literally be a huge empty space...

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Still working on the starting "tutorial town."

The grass around the pond.... just no. If you want to keep it like that, better off sticking with the editor since the effort you put into parallax mapping is pretty much wasted already.

If you are using Kaus' Ultimate overlay, consider adding a ground layer to hide the obnoxious grass

Edit: Refer to this

PsychicToaster

Best Clairvoyant Appliance 2018
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The grass around the pond.... just no. If you want to keep it like that, better off sticking with the editor since the effort you put into parallax mapping is pretty much wasted already.

If you are using Kaus' Ultimate overlay, consider adding a ground layer to hide the obnoxious grass

Or just editing the edges of the autotile out so they're transparent. ^^ Not sure which is more complicated though.

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Or just editing the edges of the autotile out so they're transparent. ^^ Not sure which is more complicated though.

Edit: I forgot that the parallax layer is underneath the tileset layer

Refer to this

IAmJakeSauvage

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Somebody actually made some transparent autotiles in the resource section if he's keen on digging. And either way, he'll have to paint over the edges while he's parallaxing if he doesn't edit the grass tile for consistency.

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
 Somebody actually made some transparent autotiles in the resource section if he's keen on digging. And either way, he'll have to paint over the edges while he's parallaxing if he doesn't edit the grass tile for consistency.

Ah, I stand corrected. For some reason I totally forgot that the parallax layer is placed underneath the tileset layer, so all you really need is the water with transparent edges.

@GeoffreyD is the one who has transparent water autotile in the resource section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Phew. Finally fixed all of the tileset and event issues in this demo. And now, it's time to release another, finished game. Stay tuned!
you know, since learning C [;)] I've grown to love VC and OpenGL :D
Welp. Just updated the biplane sprite-sheet with the missing "North" and "South" positions. Really digging the old 1920's aircraft designs as of late. Shame they're not in "vogue" anymore. They had style. I wasn't planning on making an Air Mail-centric game but now it is getting awful tempting.
animation-example.gif
ScreenShot_5_15_2022_4_23_30.png

found out the names of all the window's used in Yanfly's Victory Aftermath plugin and came up with some designs for them.
Work on yo games humans! No excuses!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeyMikeF78