Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
A few screens from the latest game I've been working on:

IMO, 

2nd: The glow for the candle/lantern seems off. I used to make the same mistake

7th: The "help" in red is way too big compared to the dying character. When you're at the brink of death, how will you muster that much energy to scribble a character as big as yourself, let alone 4 of them. If you're going to have bloody footprints, why do they lead from nothing and end at nothing?

Luiishu535

Coffee Machine Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I really appreciate it, but Master won't allow me to change anything right now. I will use the knowledge you brought upon me for future endeavors.

Here's a WIP of a town I've made for my other project (5th project, in fact):

Herbtown1.png

Yeah, I know it's not that good. :headshake:  It's nothing special. I might expand upon it, but I like

to keep things simple.

@RocketKnight: Your game looks like Twilight Princess, which is a good thing IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nisshoku

CEO NisshoTatsu Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So this map is still early WIP as I still want to add more effects to make it look better, however I wanted to ask if there too many trees added in this forest map, or anything else that could be made better.

Screenshot_1.png

Magixe

(∩ᄑ_ᄑ)⊃━☆゚*・。*・:≡( ε:)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Potential title screen for new game. Tell me what you think.

X-Ville Logo.png

(There are a lot of pixelated backgrounds in the game for mini games and such)

Nyehfully yours,

Magixe

KanaX

Just being a sleepy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Nisshoku It depends on how you want to use the map. The way it is right now, it's kinda restricting the movement of the player. How do you want to use the area?
If you want to make just a regular map with random encounters, I'd tell you to cut off some trees near the paths and put more in the inaccessible/inconsequential parts of the map. And use different tress too. In your tileset you have some tiles like these
RqGF5Ir.png
. They can help you create variants in the thickness of the trees.

@Magixe Not sure if the extremely pixelated background works with the very detailed font.

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So this map is still early WIP as I still want to add more effects to make it look better, however I wanted to ask if there too many trees added in this forest map, or anything else that could be made better.

I think the number of tree is just slightly over that comfort level for me. Personally I think that it would be nicer if you have at least a 1-block gap between the path and the tree, but it is mostly a personal preference I guess. 

esby

eejit
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Firgof - I don't think the border thing works, is it meant to be goggles? It's just a little too gimmicky for my taste. I like the map though. I think the table and locker could do with being pushed up by half a tile and the sprite looks a little out of place due to the colours.

@Nisshoku- I agree with @KanaX, I'd open up the paths slightly and use the bigger trees more often with the smaller ones being used for variation. The map just looks too scattered and busy right now.

Finally got round to doing some interiors  :D now I just need to do all the small clutter type things ;_;

q7aJjbs.png

Firgof

Artist / Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
" is it meant to be goggles? "

It's the headset (HMD) through which you're playing the game, yes.

Nisshoku

CEO NisshoTatsu Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KanaX @Sinweaver @esby

I see what you're saying. I would assume then it's the same case with this map?

Screenshot_2.png

**EDIT**

I was going for a deep forest look, as this town is based in the deep woods. By deep forest I mean lots of trees, shrubs etc, and not much man-made/altered terrain.

KanaX

Just being a sleepy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Nisshoku Since you have multiple buildings in one place, I can assume that this is a village of sorts. So the problem is even more apparent. Right next to the armor shop, you have cut off your path and placed two trees between the stripes of walking dirt. Besides that being terribly inconvenient for the player, who has to strafe between narrow pathways, it also does not make any sense logically. There's no way the inhabitants of that area would let trees just be in the middle of the residential area. Take out the majority of the trees and replace them with more buildings, fences, farmable plots of land and whatever other asset you have that shows the existence of civilization.

Kyuukon

主人公
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@esby: Very pretty >3. Mind to tell what tileset you are using?

Nisshoku

CEO NisshoTatsu Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KanaX

Ah thank you. I did not notice that I cut off the pathway with those trees there. Also, I wanted to refrain from making it look more civilized, as this particular village is a village of outlaws and outcasts, a rebel group if you will. And since they are hiding out in the forest, a more civilized place would give their position away. It made more sense to have more trees and shrubs surrounding the buildings to essentially hide the buildings from anyone wandering by. If that makes sense. But I do agree farm plots somewhere would help as they need some sort of food source.

esby

eejit
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Nisshoku Yeah, same problems there. I don't think the number of trees is the issue or even how realistic the map is, but it's more to do with how you communicate visually with the player. Ideally your pathways should be clear and obvious with decorations like trees and the long grass used to create negative space and to frame the map.

30a104cc74.png

I'll use this map from Golden Sun as an example, notice how the trees and long grass are used to create pathways in the map which apart from a few stumps are completely empty yet it still conveys that the area is heavily forested.

@Kyuukon I'm using Pixel Myth: Germania by our very own Sharm (with some edits here and there), I recommend the purchase :D

KanaX

Just being a sleepy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Nisshoku Here's a map I made for demonstration purposes. (You better appreciate it) *shake fist like a grumpy grampa*

JRtnjaj.png

My goal was to make the map with exactly the same dimensions as yours, a river and the same number of buildings as you (although I made it in Ace because I'm dumb), just to show how you can potentially achieve a natural pure woodlands look that hasn't been defiled by human interaction, without making the player go through a maze. Heck you can even afford to place 2-3 more random trees here and there without disturbing the pathing, because it's clear to see.

Phonantiphon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Literally just started prototyping the internals of Kell's farmhouse - (map#2). So yeah it's ALL RTP at the moment whilst I figure out what goes where.

I'm going for a shared map approach so floor 0 is bottom of map and floor 1 is top.

It will end up looking radically different, but I thought I would post anyway. :)

wWSSa2m.png

So far it's only so I can see kind of what I want and what tiles to adjust\clump\swap out for my own.

I've added light sources for the windows which look quite good in game with the "night" tint, but I need a "day" one as well - (the game doesn't have a diurnal cycle as such but locations can have a night\day setting.) - added to that will be lanterns for the night settings\fire sprites - I've not buttoned that down as yet.

One thing I will do is recolor the windows so that they are dark at night, as such I'll probably make them events rather than muck about changing the tiles, there's an event on each exposed window anyway.

I've pretty much decided to exclude stairs from the insides of building unless I have them in a position whereby they don't look awkward. The alcoves at the top of both floors serve to hide the "stairs"...

The right-hand top room is completely the wrong shape as well, so that needs changing. I planning on the groundfloor being more-or-less open plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

V1.3 of Demo, a new concept artist on the team, character voices are coming into light more... I'm happy to say that the fangame is making good progress.
Ami
--- Stolen Item ---

M.Figher: I want to sell this Stone
Fence: Then...i can buy you 1500G
M.Figher: It's Deal!
(3 Days Later)
F.Fighter: M.Figher,Do you know about Stone that Mayor keep it in his Office? It's missing
M.Figher: Ahh,is that so... (Actually,i Stole it and Sell it to the Fence a few Days ago)
I've spent some cash on foley and other sound effects. I wonder sometimes if I made a poor choice, but I remember that I really want to improve the sound of my games. n...n; My frugalness haunts me sometimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyruleInvestigator