Phonantiphon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
A Cool Map

I like the look and feel of this, personally. The goggles thing is a nice idea - are they there permanently, and do they have any "functionality"...?

I would say that the character sprite does stand out a little more than perhaps I would have anticipated, not in terms of color - (for me) - but just brightness? Only given the context mind, and it's only one screenshot!! :D

Firgof

Artist / Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I like the look and feel of this, personally. The goggles thing is a nice idea - are they there permanently, and do they have any "functionality"...?

I would say that the character sprite does stand out a little more than perhaps I would have anticipated, not in terms of color - (for me) - but just brightness? Only given the context mind, and it's only one screenshot!! :D

They're permanent (though there is another set which looks and behaves differently: http://i.imgur.com/lUAvZNa.png ).  The base set has two indicators.  One shows if you're in a room where there's a save point, hints on how to progress, or when there's an item you can obtain.  The other indicates danger and flickers on and off.  The faster and more solidly it flickers, the closer the danger.  The other set only shows your Mental Health and is only used in areas where the player can be killed.

Last edited by a moderator:

SweetMeltyLove

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Nisshoku Here's a map I made for demonstration purposes. (You better appreciate it) *shake fist like a grumpy grampa*

JRtnjaj.png

My goal was to make the map with exactly the same dimensions as yours, a river and the same number of buildings as you (although I made it in Ace because I'm dumb), just to show how you can potentially achieve a natural pure woodlands look that hasn't been defiled by human interaction, without making the player go through a maze. Heck you can even afford to place 2-3 more random trees here and there without disturbing the pathing, because it's clear to see.

You're using the wrong water tile. The first tile in the set is supposed to indicate a wall underwater, like this: 

9845f3da70.png

terrorchan

Literally a Gloop
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You're using the wrong water tile. The first tile in the set is supposed to indicate a wall underwater, like this: 

HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP IM SO DUMB

I've been using rpgmaker since i was TWELVE and I NEVER realized this. 

*goes and sits in the shame corner*

KanaX

Just being a sleepy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
@SweetMeltyLove I honestly just picked a random water tile to make the map as quickly as possible. I don't think that this is the point of the map.

Phonantiphon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello! I recently made a map for my new game. Tell me if you like it.

View attachment 33886

Nyehfully yours, 

Magixe :rock-right:

That does look lovely actually, but one thing I notice straight away, the tree border at the top is too... straight and ordered? 

It looks like a dividing line rather than a forest border, which I'm guessing it should be?

Niten Ichi Ryu

Grey Lords Emissary
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Feedback needed on an Overworld parallax, particularly from people knowing California.

This is the Island of California.(still a bit rough around the edges I know)

Spoiler

pdgu2fT.png

I'm working on a Saddle Punk/Weird West game, and the idea for this map came after I found out that in the 17th Century, several maps were made with the misconception that California was an Island close to America.

So this will be the setting of my game, as California as a large variety of landscape, and has an history that match well with what I need, from Native American culture, to old pre-colombian ruins.

Idril

Widdershins Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Niten Ichi Ryu What exactly do you need feedback on? I am from California so I might be able to help some. It looks good as a map (could use some more detail) but I wouldn't have recognized it as California without you saying that's what it was meant to be. Is it turned on its side? I can't really tell.

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Perhaps you could try using some brushes or blending tools to make the transition from the desert to the grassy areas less sudden and hard? I almost imagine there would be more of a fade between those two colors and maybe some sort of speckling effect as the sand is "thinning out." You have that lovely inking effect on the mountains and it would probably be a nice touch to see those motifs carried elsewhere in the map.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Grey Lords Emissary
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Idril, Yes, I turned it on it side to fit the 1280x720 resolution of the game (should have mentioned it)

feedback is more about how it is also relatively accurate geographically.

I think I got correctly the Kalmath in the North (sideways), the Coast Ranges (sideways too), Sierra Nevada takes what would be the East coast (sideways).

what kind of mountains forms these different ranges, is it ok to use the same mountain brush?

But I wonder If I dont have too much desert. and Not sure I nailed the rivers.

@Ms Littlefish good idea, I was working mostly with the Airbrush, but Indeed I need to thin it out a little. didn't thought about trying blending (i'm still discovering GIMP)

Idril

Widdershins Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Niten Ichi Ryu I think you do have too much desert. Not sure what it would have been like in the time period you're dealing with, probably a bit more dry, but nowadays there are palm trees and bristly, dry kinds of plants. Northern California is pretty green. Real high up north you're going to have redwoods and stuff like that, so more forested and less bristly. We don't really have much real sand here, except on the coast. What looks like sand inland is mostly just packed dirt with patches of scraggly grass. As for the geographical features I will take a look at a map and see if I notice any issues. Right off I can see that most of your rivers look like they're branching from nowhere.

Nisshoku

CEO NisshoTatsu Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KanaX

So is this what you would say is a better map for a heavily forested area?

Old Map:

Screenshot_2.png

And here is my new edited map:

Screenshot_7.png

And everyone else you can also critique my work.

KanaX

Just being a sleepy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Nisshoku The basics are there. The map is more clear and consistent! Honestly, you can spread even more trees here and there, to give the impression of deep woods if you want to.

Nisshoku

CEO NisshoTatsu Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Phonantiphon

Instead of using the tiles from the A set, I would suggest using the trees from the B set. The big ones.

I was recently told that they really make the map look nicer.

Something like this would make a good forest border I think:

Screenshot_8.png

Nisshoku

CEO NisshoTatsu Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KanaX

Finally lol. I spent a good 45 minutes making that map bit by bit. Hopefully the rest of my maps can be as good but take much less time to get through.

Ace VII

Genius but Strict
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Japanese
Primarily Uses
A small portion of an Elven Forest I'm making.

And also features my newly recolored & redrawn character :)

-IMAGE REMOVED-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

"Today I will totally open up RPG Maker and work on my game. I have lots of ideas!"

End of day spoiler: It didn't happen.
years later and I still couldn't get over the fact that Konami killed P.T. and Silent Hills. Oh so much potential for a new modern classic horror.
Finished reworking the design of my Itch.io page <3 Back to making plugins.
I kind of want make a map that's just giant version of the player that's they're running around on. Either by stringing together multiple maps or just by shrinking the player sprite for those maps. Actually that might make a fun reveal... The player's on a normal looking map, but then as realization dawns on them it zooms out to show a much larger map that's a giant version of the player. :LZSexcite:
Do you like to practice level design? I do hahahaha! It's not from a specific game, it's just some tests...Fase 1.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lyanna