gRaViJa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Look good Ace, only thing that mildly bothers me is that I can see parts of the HUD behind the message box. Makes it look a bit cluttered.

Ace VII

Genius but Strict
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Japanese
Primarily Uses
Look good Ace, only thing that mildly bothers me is that I can see parts of the HUD behind the message box. Makes it look a bit cluttered.

Yeah, I noticed that too, but was too lazy to reupload/repost the fixed one haha.

Selhan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Finally finished the last map for one of the cities in To Light! You can probably tell I was very much inspired by the Ancient Dungeons tilesets :D

Hi Craig,

Congratulations for this VERY beautiful map. I'd really like to be that skilled.

I think one thing could still be upgraded: you should make shadows below your bridges.

All the best for your game

Last edited by a moderator:

PsychicToaster

Best Clairvoyant Appliance 2018
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Finally finished the last map for one of the cities in To Light! You can probably tell I was very much inspired by the Ancient Dungeons tilesets :D

Absolutely beautiful. I've been working with the Ancient Dungeons set lately and I hope I can make something od this calibre in the future. Please post more maps for everyone to oggle.

bigcalsworld

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Dayum, that Ancient Dungeons set looks fantastic to use. Dammit, now I wanna buy it. And re-do all my current maps with it... :p.

Phonantiphon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Floor 1 of the farmhouse, using my modified RTP tileset...

9azxRlQ.png

Craig

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Selhan Thanks so much! Shadows under the bridge never even crossed my mind! Duh, lol! I will work on adding that in :D

@PsychicToaster So glad you like it! You can definitely do it! The key for me is doing EVERYTHING parallax in Photoshop. I am a professional photographer in my real life, lol, so I am very familiar with PS, but once you start using it, it gets easier!

@bigcalsworld I LOVE Ancient Dungeons, but my advice would be to finish everything in your game first before you go back and start re-doing things. I struggled with that at first, and then realized that I can always find things to fix, so I just have to keep going or I will never finish it, lol!

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Craig: I don't know if my browser messes up with it but your picture looks strange.

The stone pavement of the road looks fine, but everything else is pixelated, like a bad upsize.

I really hope it's on my end because it looks bad and that would be a shame considering your skill at parallaxing.

bigcalsworld

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Craig well I ain't that far into my game yet, so seems like changing what I've done now and then creating everything else from scratch with it would be the better option. Then again... no snow tiles kinda buggers up like, half my world map... lol.

Phonantiphon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Woah buddy turn down the saturation 

other than that, it looks good. 

Aha ha!

You're not the first person to say that actually.

It is "lively" yes, but in truth in game it doesn't look like that as there is - (will be) - some fairly hefty lighting applied, even during the day so actually there'll be a lot of shadowing and gloomy bits - (you'll see!) :D

luzi

Freelance Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

Ace VII

Genius but Strict
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Japanese
Primarily Uses
Sorry, he's a placeholder and I used vidar as a referrence... that's all.. again he's a placeholder.

Apologies if I didnt ask permission. I'm really sorry @luzi.. soo so so so so sorry, I'll do anything to make it up to you.  :headshake:

It's because I love your work so much that I even tried to cosplay the character you drew.

@Archeia I'm merely just a supporter of Luzi's work and an admirer as well.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Sorry, he's a placeholder and I used vidar as a referrence... that's all.. again he's a placeholder.

Apologies if I didnt ask permission. I'm really sorry @luzi.. soo so so so so sorry, I'll do anything to make it up to you.  :headshake:

@Archeia I'm merely just a supporter of Luzi's work and an admirer as well.

Right now I know you have directly traced their artwork. I'll be removing your recruitment topic and eligible for a ban if you don't replace them immediately in 24 hours.

Phonantiphon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

<SCREENSHOT>

That is really nice! :D

You've got a lovely atmosphere there.

Ace VII

Genius but Strict
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Japanese
Primarily Uses
Right now I know you have directly traced their artwork. I'll be removing your recruitment topic and eligible if you don't replace them immediately in 24 hours.

Yes ma'am, I'll do that right away once I get home.

[EDIT]

Actually, I'll do it now.

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@Magixe Really lovely houses, nicely decorated. But I'm wondering why none of them have shadows? Shadows help to indicate house sizes better. I would also place a shadow on the right side of the stairs in the cliff.

I also agree that the tree border is very straight (and also missing the bottom tree part which makes it look weird). The same goes for the cliffs, they are just one straight line. I would try to break it up a bit.

Aleks

Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It has been so long since I did any maps...starting to go over older maps. I made a huge improvement to this one.

Map 1.PNG

Bottom half and top left needs to be redone for a less boxy/unnatural feel. Then I gotta add details to the mountains/ledges, because they are pretty blank right now. All that work for all maps on one person...yikes! Better get to work! :guffaw:

Nisshoku

CEO NisshoTatsu Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Alright, so finally finished my first town, originally made it into four separate maps, but created them into one single map to see the outcome. Would like opinions.

@KanaX

So, using your advice and map as a template, I came up with 4 maps for my first town. 3 with residential housing, and one with commercial housing. 

In order to make all 4 look good connected to each other, I just continued the border trees on the other side, so as to match the landscape. It's basically like this:

Map 1 Map 2

Map 3 Map 4

However, shortly after I finished all 4 maps, I had the idea to create them into one town. And after making a test map for it, as to keep from ruining my other maps, I say it went rather well.

The maps are still touching each other in the same way as my above demonstration, but combined into one full town.

I would like your opinion. And anyone else who would like to is free to comment.

Screenshot_2.png

The only thing I see is maybe clearing out some of the trees in the center that are splitting up the houses, but other than that looks nice. I have not yet gotten flowers, etc down in the bottom right quadrant of the map, but there will be stuff there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

SF_People1_3 added!
index.php

I haven't been on here in forever wow(missed my forum birthday T-T). Anyways, I'm dabbling in BGMs, here's something I'm actually willing to share.

Binge-watched 6 episodes of the Erased anime... And that means I've watched half of it?! Sigh...
I'm bad at base-building games (looking at other players created an aesthetically beautiful base compared to me), but IDK why I keep playing the game and seek more of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidusa121