Not open for further replies.

Aleks

Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Another map redone. Believe me...the original was horribly square and messy. This one I redid completely instead of editing. It is the second part of the other map.

Map 2.PNG

The shadows of some tiles seem to mess up though. Can't fix it either. I'll figure it out later, I guess. :p

@Nisshoku

I like it, especially the middle part where the trees divide the houses apart. Reminds me of an older FF title and how they did the same kind of things. The southern part seems a bit bare in the grass area though. Maybe some higher grass or more flowers can help?

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@Nisshoku I like the flow of the river, it looks very natural. And the tree border is also nice, although still a bit straight at some parts, especially on the left side.

But I think, you have a lot of space between the buildings. Lots of empty parts. I would have moved the houses closer together or fill those parts with more decorations, maybe higher grass in combination with flowers, bushes etc.

Selhan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
@Craig: I'm glad I can help to improve!

This is a proof you don't need to be a good mapper to give good advices

I also really like your Town Map posted before, but as it is very static, with buildings used several times each, I really wonder what it will look like animated with characters.

Again, all the best for your project.

Aleks

Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Map 3 of the forest:

Map 3.PNG

If only parallax mapping was easier. Would make my maps even better.

Nisshoku

CEO NisshoTatsu Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Aleks

Thanks for the positive input. :)  I prefer having the one large map anyway so that's perfect. And yeah I do plan on adding more decor in the southern half, but figured I would first see if the idea of all the maps combined was good.

@Candacis

Thanks for the input. I did notice that the left half was a little straight. And I actually wanted to add in something just below the top left house where the border is split. But I can easily make the left border vary. Will get to work on that.

Ace VII

Genius but Strict
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Japanese
Primarily Uses
So here it is @gRaViJa I fixed it hahaha.

untitled_by_kervinlee-d9w4b6r.png

Sorry again @luzi, I deleted the other character and replaced it with my OCD. I know it was not a good idea to use your sketch as a reference for character, the purpose of me drawing that was entirely for practice.

@Archeia I've fixed everthing and deleted all related posts. Won't happen again.

Aleks

Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Map 4, two parts:

Map 4.PNG

Map 4v2.PNG

Smaller details are being reworked right now.

@Aleks

Thanks for the positive input. :)  I prefer having the one large map anyway so that's perfect. And yeah I do plan on adding more decor in the southern half, but figured I would first see if the idea of all the maps combined was good.

For VX/ACE/MV's look, the direction you took makes perfect sense to me. Maybe I am just biased because of the similar feel it has to older FF games, but I definitely liked it.

Nisshoku

CEO NisshoTatsu Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Aleks

In all honesty, the place where the trees are splitting the houses in the center was completely unintentional xD where they intersect was basically the edges of the maps combining. All I simply did was put them all together and do a small amount of editing to make things that turned out weird look right xD

Maybe it was just luck. But I also might end up making larger scale maps that way from now on. It made it much easier to make a map of that size, using smaller maps first. Definitely gonna try when I make my new map. Or even my world map if I add one.

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Map 4, two parts:

Personally one of the few reason I dislike using the editor is because the editor doesn't know where the shadow should go in certain scenario. Looking at the large tree at the bottom, don't you think that it is casting a rather odd looking shadow considering that it is on a higher elevation compared to parts of the ground it casted its shadow on?

Aleks

Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Aleks

In all honesty, the place where the trees are splitting the houses in the center was completely unintentional xD where they intersect was basically the edges of the maps combining. All I simply did was put them all together and do a small amount of editing to make things that turned out weird look right xD

Maybe it was just luck. But I also might end up making larger scale maps that way from now on. It made it much easier to make a map of that size, using smaller maps first. Definitely gonna try when I make my new map. Or even my world map if I add one.

I know it wasn't intentional...or at least I assumed it wasn't. Wait, that was originally a smaller map? Hey, whatever helps then. :)

Personally one of the few reason I dislike using the editor is because the editor doesn't know where the shadow should go in certain scenario. Looking at the large tree at the bottom, don't you think that it is casting a rather odd looking shadow considering that it is on a higher elevation compared to parts of the ground it casted its shadow on?

Yea, I agree that it does look weird, but there is nothing I can do about that. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Aleks On the bright side, I doubt many people will notice things like that (I'd go as far as saying even some artist overlook such things while parallax mapping, which brings up more question about why they even bother parallax mapping in the first place, but lets not get into that xD), so you might be able to get away with it.

Other than that, those are pretty nice outdoor maps :)

SPP

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
These maps are really pretty, with the tall sprites making them even prettier. Kinda reminds me of a game I used to play, warspear online. The places in the game are really nice and atmospheric, I recommend to check it out if you're in a slump and looking for inspiration on maps or something.

PsychicToaster

Best Clairvoyant Appliance 2018
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, since this isn't an RPG Maker in-game map, but I've been working on an overworld map for my project. It's still in the works, and I'll just say ahead of time that drawing rivers with a mouse is a total pain in the tail. Some location names are placeholders, some are final. 

The final names and a little bit about them, for fun:

The Ash March-where a thriving, lush forest once met a pristine lake, there is little left but scorched earth and the charred husks of trees. Blackened with dragonfire, the March was the final battlefield between the human armies of Blackreach and the mighty dragon, Utarr. Time has done nothing to heal the wounds of this scarred land. Hushed whispers in taverns across the Highlands tell of dark spirits, fallen soldiers who perished horribly in the liquid fire of Utarr's breath. They wander the damned land, hungering for the warmth of life and release from the frozen grasp of undeath.

Blackreach and The Blood Pits-the oldest city-state in Aramour, Blackreach has fallen into chaos under its latest ruler, Highlord Rhydian Morgan. Many of its quarters are in disrepair; some have been abandoned altogether and now serve as hideouts for ruthless thieves and cutthroats. Three noble houses quarrel and fight among themselves for more control over city affairs. Covert assassinations and cunning spies have become commonplace in the dangerous game for power. Rhydian Morgan himself seems to care less for the well-being of his people, and more for the arena fights of the Blood Pits. He speaks to no one in the interim, making appearances only to see the outcomes of every glorious, bloody battle to the death. Those who are permitted within the Highlord's chambers, namely the Royal Magi, refuse to disclose any information on the status of their leader. Stranger still, the residents of Blackreach have begun to disappear in the dead of night...

Lanis Londre, "The Humming Stones"-built on magically raised island in the middle of Lake Folkemar, Lanis Londre serves as the ultimate prison for both wizards and normal humans alike. Built from a black stone found only in the caverns deep below the desert of Torr, the prison completely negates the use of magic within its walls. Those attuned to the emanations of arcane energy can hear and sense an eerie, discomforting humming coming from the stones. Prolonged exposure to these stimulae can-and often do-drive wizards completely insane. This is considered the worst punishment that can be inflicted upon a magic-user who has abused and misused their power to commit serious crimes. 

The Mistwood-over millennia, these fog-enshrouded woods sprang up from the northern lands and slowly crept down toward the south. Trees that have been said to dwarf even mountains climb ever upward, their tops invisible to those on the ground. The trees themselves appear to grow at a rapid rate, shooting up in a matter of weeks. Thick mists wrap themselves around all plant life like a ghostly cloak, and travelers in this place claim to hear indecipherable words in the distance; words that can only be a warning that they are not welcome. 

Well, that's all I've got for now. Much is subject to change and whatnot, but yay for hastily written, not at all proofread lore summaries.

Map (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyromantic

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello! So I figured out that this is probably a better place to ask for feedback on maps rather than the WIP Resource thread, which is why I came here to post this:

SnowyShot1.png

I guess it's alright - the center piece turned out better than expected but I'm not sure about the shadows. And you can't see it in this screen but I'm a bit stuck on the sky as well. 

@PsychicToaster That's a really nice overworld map! Looks like the sort of thing I'd expect to see in a novel.

Idril

Widdershins Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Pyromantic That's really cool - I'm really not noticing the grid, which is very refreshing. Did you make the tiles/sprite? They're very good.

Pyromantic

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Idril Yeah, everything in there I made myself (Including the player sprite.) but I've been taking inspiration from games like Titan Souls - and the style of the basic tiles don't resemble that at all. So I've been making them all myself. And now every time I make a parallax map, I get a little carried away and basically draw an entire unique picture.  >_>  I like the results a lot better, though.

Aleks

Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@PsychicToaster

Really nice! I'm assuming there are mountains or high ground north of The Mistwood? And is this the whole map, or just a local shot?

And is cartography something you are interested in or just for your project? I could share some links to tutorials on different methods of creating maps (styles, really)...if you want. :)

@Pyromantic

Did you sprite that?! The mapping and the spritework is absolutely amazing! I love snowy maps. :rock-right:

Phonantiphon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Pyromantic - my fave bit of that map is where the snow is piled up at the top left, that's just great, it's almost as if the character in the pic could run up to it and go "FLUMPF" in it...

PsychicToaster

Best Clairvoyant Appliance 2018
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@PsychicToaster

Really nice! I'm assuming there are mountains or high ground north of The Mistwood? And is this the whole map, or just a local shot?

And is cartography something you are interested in or just for your project? I could share some links to tutorials on different methods of creating maps (styles, really)...if you want. :)

@Pyromantic

Did you sprite that?! The mapping and the spritework is absolutely amazing! I love snowy maps. :rock-right:

I'm definitely into cartography. That shot is just a local shot, indeed. I've been experimenting with many different styles and designs. Any links and tips would be greatly appreciated. North of The Mistwood is another mountainous area methinks, but I am not sure yet. 

To those who gave me positive feedback, thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

V1.3 of Demo, a new concept artist on the team, character voices are coming into light more... I'm happy to say that the fangame is making good progress.
Ami
--- Stolen Item ---

M.Figher: I want to sell this Stone
Fence: Then...i can buy you 1500G
M.Figher: It's Deal!
(3 Days Later)
F.Fighter: M.Figher,Do you know about Stone that Mayor keep it in his Office? It's missing
M.Figher: Ahh,is that so... (Actually,i Stole it and Sell it to the Fence a few Days ago)
I've spent some cash on foley and other sound effects. I wonder sometimes if I made a poor choice, but I remember that I really want to improve the sound of my games. n...n; My frugalness haunts me sometimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fmoviesfmovies3