Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Tenkage You have some real problems with your cliffs.  Here is a section to show what I mean, though these errors are repeated throughout the map, not just here.  I have numbered the problematic points.

cliff screenie 1.png

In none of the instances 1 - 7 do the tops of your cliffs match the bottom.  I have tried to replicate your layout to show you what it ought to look like, but I couldn't work out number 5.

cliff screenie 2.png

At place 1, you appear to have curved tiles at the bottom, but then they seem to switch to straight half way up.  I can't be sure about that because of the scale of the map.  So I've made that section straight.  At 2 you bring the cliff forward at the bottom, but keep a straight line along the top.  At 3 your right edge appears to be a curve backwards, in which case, 4 needs to start at the back of that curve, and because it itself is brought forward at the bottom, the top needs to come out as well.  At 5 the cliff is shorter, but you bring the top forward - it just doesn't make sense.  At 6 it looks like it's another case where the bottom part is curved and then changes to straight, and at 7 you pushed the base back, but kept the top as a straight line.

On the lower section under 6 and 7, you have variations in the heights of your cliff walls.  Look at the second curve from the left.  It looks as if you have an extra tile in there, but this is not reflected in the height of your flat surface at the top.  You need to remove one of those cliff tiles to make it all the same height.

Cliffs are tricky, and it is very easy to end up with tops and bottoms which don't match.  This is something which takes some practice to get right.

EDIT

I've just noticed another problem in the little section I chose.  If you look at the bit that juts out to the left of number 1, I'm fairly sure that the cliff case has fewer tiles than the cliff at 1.  They should be the same height, as the bottom and top are supposed to be on the same level as each other.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nicke

Fortune seeker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Tenkage: Great cliffside map! Maybe add a bit more life to it with flowers and animals perhaps. :)

I'll celebrate the new year with my forest ruin. Feedback is much appreciated.

wOnVu7O.jpg

Noobk

Boo-Boo'Da'Foo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Nicke That's awesome. I'm curious though, on the upper level, where the grass tiles switch, is that a level change or just a change in the ground? I think the lighting is throwing me off.

Nicke

Fortune seeker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Noobk: It's supposed to be a new level when you walk up the stairs. :)

Noobk

Boo-Boo'Da'Foo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm stealing a page from ksjp's playbook. I meant this.

@Nicke It looks to me like where the character walks up to level 2, and then all around it is level 0?

2Q7uNBr.jpg

Studio Blue

Studio Blue
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Nicke That looks amazing! That's the level of detail and lighting, et all, I want to strive for with RPG Maker. Is that a paralaxx map or did you do it all in RPG Maker MV?

Studio Blue

Studio Blue
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So it took me some work (and purchasing Ceianna's map maker), but I believe I have something more worthy of the Steampunk genre.

As usual, feedback is welcome!

wp6Szt.png

RetroBoy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So it took me some work (and purchasing Ceianna's map maker), but I believe I have something more worthy of the Steampunk genre.

As usual, feedback is welcome!

wp6Szt.png

I normally love hidden things but I do not like the castle hidden behind the mountains. Looks bad. Scrap it or open up in front of it a little. ^_-

Puffer

creator of a game that doesnt exist yet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Foreverwhere That is a pretty good map, but the river seem very unatural

Some map I made in my new year break!

Classroom.png

School Hallway.png

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Foreverwhere I think I would try and reduce the size of the houses/towns etc so that they are a little more in keeping with the scale of your map.  In particular, the one at the top on the inlet (which could be the Thames if that is England) seems very awkward due to its size.  As for the castle, I'd open up the mountains to the side of it just a little to give it a bit of breathing space.

@Knayter  I think the window lighting on the right is too sharply defined.  I think the outlines should be at least a little more blurred.  Also, I was wondering about the way such a strong light source would impact on the way you have things on the wall reflect so clearly on the floor beneath.  You would have to have an ultra-shiny, smooth floor to produce that effect, in which case it would bounce the light back up in such a way as to virtually eliminate the reflection.  It would also mean that the shadows that your desks have (which are to the front i.e. into the light source) need to be reversed so that they are at the back.  All in all, I think the lighting/reflection effects need to be softened. 

Puffer

creator of a game that doesnt exist yet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Foreverwhere I think I would try and reduce the size of the houses/towns etc so that they are a little more in keeping with the scale of your map.  In particular, the one at the top on the inlet (which could be the Thames if that is England) seems very awkward due to its size.  As for the castle, I'd open up the mountains to the side of it just a little to give it a bit of breathing space.

@Knayter  I think the window lighting on the right is too sharply defined.  I think the outlines should be at least a little more blurred.  Also, I was wondering about the way such a strong light source would impact on the way you have things on the wall reflect so clearly on the floor beneath.  You would have to have an ultra-shiny, smooth floor to produce that effect, in which case it would bounce the light back up in such a way as to virtually eliminate the reflection.  It would also mean that the shadows that your desks have (which are to the front i.e. into the light source) need to be reversed so that they are at the back.  All in all, I think the lighting/reflection effects need to be softened. 

I will make the lighting more soft

And that isn't shadow form the desk, i meant it to be reflection

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Knayter Please don't quote whole posts to indicate who you are replying to.  This makes the page slow to load and to scroll down especially for those who are accessing this on their phones.  If you want to make it clear who you are answering use the @membername convention as I have done with this post.  Tagging the person also has the advantage of letting the person know that you have replied to them if they have that option turned on in their notification settings. 

Thanks 

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Ursa Koda No lag, because maps are divided, there are about 40 maps of exteriors 50x33 tiles. ^^

My only advise is that the sniping is too accurate, have you used a sniper rifle? No one is perfectly steady unless a tripod is used, add some wiggle to the aim but add a steady button (the steady button only reduces the wiggle not perfectly still)

Niten Ichi Ryu

Grey Lords Emissary
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Foreverwhere

Mountains looks too clustered and river stream are too large.

While Celi's map texture give the papery feel I was talking about, the use of small models for trees, mountains and locations make you lose a bit the authentic feeling. That could fit for a small area, like a province ( like the map I posted) but for large scale, like several countries, it breaks the scale.

For large patches of trees and mountains, I would simply use shades of colors, and for the towns, simple dots.

Ses, victorian mapping and exploration was more about science and realism than the more decorative medieval style.

I think if you wanna get authentic, for steampunk "fast travel" it should not look like your map was made by the monks of mappingshire abbey, but by the amicable exploring gentlemen society of Mappington University.

look at the map on this link as a good inspiration.

http://barnsdale11.deviantart.com/art/Stock-steampunk-map-214547250

Anthony Xue

Ancient Architect
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@ksjp17 

I tried some of your suggestions regarding map exits. In particular, stairs for signifying a transfer to different areas:

iceglahd-all.png

Any feedback/comments/criticism/suggestions welcome: Do the tunnels at the bottom of the map work as exits? (I cannot simply make a corridor and cut, since thanks to random shuffling it is not completely clear where the player will end up; therefore, I need independent exits telling just that - "this path might lead anywhere")

In addition, in the upper right, I tried to depict that the ceiling in the far right is higher than in the rest of the cave. Not sure if this is clear or how it could be done better.

Everything else, especially the underground river, seems to work, I think. No lighting because that will happen in-game.

Studio Blue

Studio Blue
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Niten Ichi Ryu Really good feedback! I will have to pay someone to make the map for me to go that route, as I think I've reached the limit of my map making abilities, but it's definitely a good way to go. Thanks!

Niten Ichi Ryu

Grey Lords Emissary
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@foreverwhere

try, try and try again.

with good tutorials and clever use of colored layers, brush tools, erasers and burn tools, you can't even fathom the extent of your actual map making abilities.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Anthony Xue I think those bottom exits work really well.  Nice use of the 'bridge' tiles (for want of a better description) and I like the way you picked up that visual for the actual bridge across the river.  Helps make the map feel cohesive.

hppyniss

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just started working on my world map last night, I'm pleased with it so far. I decided to position the town locations so that they formed two constellations (Aries and Pisces, since I was born on the cusp of the two, and thought it'd be a nice easter egg). These locations happened to correlate perfectly with the lore surrounding the towns, which was a neat synchronicity. This game is 99.9% for myself, so I'm hoping that when I "rediscover" this easer egg in a few years (when I've inevitably forgotten about most of the story and the fun hidden bits), I'll think it's the coolest thing. 

I've also JUST gotten this to work with Moghunter's fast travel system, and I'm loving how much that adds to the map experience. Aside from the town locations (which are baked at this point, due to the star correspondences), I'm probably still going to make a few tweaks to this world map. Any suggestions?

map.png

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@hppyniss looks good to me! I like the mountains and trees you've added. The flags however, they blend in too much with the map, it's hard to read them. How about making them red, or white? Just give it some good contrast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

SF_Vehicle2 and SF_People2_8 added!
index.php

If I made an 8-bit-esque, dark fantasy tileset/graphics pack, would y'all be into that? Like, for Dark Souls demakes, Nintendo vampire wannabes, Castlevania ripoffs and such?

Working title: Alice's 8-bit Gothic. Do or not do? (Like do y'all even use 8-bit style graphics?)
I love editing things .
16b6a8abb5d27bf617d9b802cd5b868a.jpg

* Wall frames made with pencil photo and program photos, * Leaf and Pot, with cliché ideas of flowers
*bear on top of the closet belonging to the art of whtdragon lol.
No better feeling than part of a project just clicking into place without a single issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bansher