Not open for further replies.

hppyniss

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Celianna Thanks for the feedback! I thought so, too, but couldn't tell if I'd been staring at the screen for too long. I'll play around with colors a bit :)

SomaelCK

Lv 99 Simple Sheep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Burmese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A new map we are working on these days : The Park. How does it look? It's still WIP.

DVgHlOM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Solwern

Dead person.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Made a three floor castle interior, how does iook so far?

NOTE: These are map images saved with the editor and not in game maps.

Map110.png

Map111.png

Map112.png

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
On the first floor, lower left end, you might wanna edit ur tileset so that the stack of plates (or are those cans or whatever) are a few pixel higher in position.. right now it seems as if their lower end is actually above your wall tile. 

EDIT: I do think you need to really to edit those to move them a bit up, I just saw that same tile on your smaller table and they look like they're gonna fall to the floor

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Solwern I think these would both look better, and be less tedious for the player to trudge around, if you shrank them quite a bit.  It would also help them to feel more in proportion.  Take your dining table in the middle map, for example.  It looks about 5 tiles wide and (a guess here) 12 tiles long.  Taking a single bed as the measure, that's 15 feet x 36 feet.  No servant could ever set anything in the middle of it without scaffolding!  But more seriously, see how it's crammed the guests against the wall with no room to move round them to serve them, or if someone wants to get up and leave the table.  You've given yourself a huge task of finding stuff to put on the floors and walls so that it doesn't look barren, and it wouldn't be necessary if the rooms were smaller.

In your third map, you have stairs going up to the throne.  This should mean that this floor is higher than the rest.  But your back wall is the same height all the way across.

I suggest you use shift-click mapping to run your carpet 'under' the bottom walls to help your perspective.

Solwern

Dead person.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Seriously, thanks a ton, gonna edit the RTP tiles now :D

Noobk

Boo-Boo'Da'Foo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
A round of cave maps. All fodder is welcome. I don't really have a name for these. Right now I have just been calling them the tomb maps in my head.

miJOTfo.png

ZQNF1hT.png

4VEh9s7.png

Resources used: RTP

MasterTaffer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Nicke I like it, the map looks very visually busy without being clustered. Only critique I can think of is that I really don't think the autoshadows gel too well with the lighting system you're using. I would try removing them and seeing how it looks.

So I finally have a presentable screenshot of my project, which is supposed to be an entrance hall to a mansion. All assets are custom made, though a lot of them are edits based on existing RTP resources. It's still a WIP (at least the picture frames are), but I've been trying to figure out what I could do to better fill this map without it looking overdetailed (or does it look good enough already?).

Entryway_zps2xdmvvvo.png

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@MasterTaffer I wonder if you have enough sources of light.  It took me a few moments to find your 2 lamps, and as you have no windows showing, I would have expected a bit more than just that.  The front part of the lower floor would have significant shadow because of the shape of your walls, and upstairs doesn't look like it has any lighting at all.

I don't think your rectangular tables (the 2 large and the 2 small at the back) have quite the same perspective as everything else, and so it's throwing things off in general.  If you compare their perspective with the round table at the front and the couch, I think you will see what I mean.

Overall, though, a very nice map with a lot of attention to detail.  I particularly like the doors on your side walls; very well executed.

MasterTaffer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@MasterTaffer I wonder if you have enough sources of light.  It took me a few moments to find your 2 lamps, and as you have no windows showing, I would have expected a bit more than just that.  The front part of the lower floor would have significant shadow because of the shape of your walls, and upstairs doesn't look like it has any lighting at all.

I don't think your rectangular tables (the 2 large and the 2 small at the back) have quite the same perspective as everything else, and so it's throwing things off in general.  If you compare their perspective with the round table at the front and the couch, I think you will see what I mean.

Overall, though, a very nice map with a lot of attention to detail.  I particularly like the doors on your side walls; very well executed.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess there would be windows at the lower-most entrance of the mansion, but the game takes place entirely at night, so you just don't see any light coming from there; not sure how I'd show that. I was also planning on adding some wall-mounted "side lamps" where the tables with the flowers are at (and maybe down below), I just don't have them made yet =/.

hppyniss

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@MasterTaffer I really like the size of that map. I'm going to be mapping a large castle soon (think Hogwarts-esque scope) and I've been looking for examples of well mapped, large interiors. Yours feels appropriately large without tons of empty space! Bravo! 

Wanted to share a sampling of maps from the starting village in my game. Let me know if you spot any obvious areas that can be improved!

This is the interior of the lower level of the main character's house. Her mother is an herbalist, so that room in the front is her potion/tincture room.

01_mainhouse04.png

This is the inn/tavern in her village. There is an upstairs as well, with the rooms and a small reading area for the inn-goers. 

01-09-Tavern.png

Finally, this is a section of the village map used for festivals. This is the base, and I add different event images (like food booths, tents, and obviously NPCs) for different festivals. This map is pretty big, so I've resized considerably to fit on the forum. The trees are intentionally huge here, as the MC lives in an ancient foresty area.

01-06-festivalgrounds.png

Noobk

Boo-Boo'Da'Foo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@hppyniss In that first interior map, the wall that separates the tincture room, there is no roof to the wall. It's just a flat with no depth essentially. And in the third festival area, it looks like you used that same huge tree over and over which kind of makes it bland for my taste. The cliffs are very square too. I do like the two interior maps though, those look great to me. In the second tavern map, you might want to push down the support beam so it lines up with the wall better, it looks funky sitting higher than the edge. There is also a graphics issue at the right end of the bar in the tavern, it's not lining up.

Good stuff, keep at it!  :rock-right:

NhatNguyen

Peaceful Days Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Knayter Thanks very much my friend ; )

@Celianna Haha thanks so much! You're right! I set the speed too high. There are too many chores to do but we don't have much time which is really annoying in this genre :D

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@hppyniss I could be wrong, but I am wondering about that sofa in the first map.  To me it looks like it is in a different perspective from the other assets - very much from the top down, whereas the other objects are the more usual angle of slightly from the front.  Compare, for example, the top of a cupboard or the table next to it to see what I mean.

Your plant in a pot underneath the notice board is so close to the wall that it looks flat - there isn't enough space for the base of the pot.  I suggest you move it down a few pixels.  As you are using shadows, you will need to apply one to the right of the large staircase.  It itself will be throwing a shadow as well as being shadowed on its left side by the wall.  As the dividing wall is quite thin (rightly so) you should only have one tile of shadow, not 2.  It suggests a much thicker wall, so doesn't match.  The lack of a ceiling tile there has already been mentioned.  The lack of a shadow over at least the beginning of the shorter staircase makes it look like it is level with the top of the wall.

The second map also has shadow problems.  The base of the shadow on the stairs is in exact alignment with the base of the wall, which looks a bit strange, as does the narrowness of that shadow.  If the walls are throwing shadows, then I think the large structure in the middle of the bar should as well, in order to be consistent.  The alignment of the beams in the middle has already been mentioned, but you might also like to consider putting a shadow half a tile in depth across the floor to indicate that these beams are also casting shadows.  The tap of the barrel is on the public side of the bar - unlikely that the bar keeper would allow just anyone to fill up their tankard.  Your shelving unit top left is so close to the wall that it looks like it's hanging on it.  I suggest you move it down half a tile so that it stands more naturally against the wall.

For your third map, are you putting any details on the ground? e.g. flowers, weeds, the odd bald patch in the grass where people have walked.  The big dirty patch doesn't look very natural.  Is it meant to indicate a worn area?  If so, you definitely need other worn areas because people will, presumably, walk over to your circle on the right.  In addition to the other comment about the trees, it also seems to me that they are too close together.  This undermines the idea that they are full, rounded trees, as there isn't enough room for the foliage on the part of the tree that we cannot see.  They therefore end up looking flat.  I agree with the comment about the cliffs being too regular.  There also appears to be a ground tile problem.  If you look at the very bottom left hand corner of the cliff on the right with the big tree on top and examine where the little plant is, the ground there looks a totally different shade of green. Again you have the 'flat' problem with that tree on the cliff.  The ledge looks too narrow to allow for the back of the trunk, or for any corresponding roots on that side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I have returned yet again. No reason for my hiatus; just got distracted by video games and stuff. I figured out how to make a bootleg Ys 1 Battle system using in engine scripting (The only plugin enabled is the HUD thing).
Unfortunately I have no idea how to program but-stabbing as a crit without it being even more complicated to program so this is it.

Kickstarter successful!! I'm gonna have a Hot GameDev Summer in the trenches!
Me and my friend got into one of our usual discussions after I reccomended him a game, and I remember the last time we had a discussion like that, he disabled his FA account. This time, I found myself constantly checking my friends account hoping it wouldn't happen again. ...But it didn't.

The thing is... I just can't lie about my feelings, sometimes. :(
COMBAT:

Finally showing combat in my game. The lighting system I'm currently using doesn't transfer over into combat, but I am hoping to find a new one soon... or an update for the one I'm using. The plan is to make combat less bright, though. You'll want to click the video link below and visit YT for audio.
Huge thanks to D757 Gaming for his stream, impressions and review of my game, please check him out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bebeom1