Game & Map Screenshots 8

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, May 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noobk

Noobk Boo-Boo'Da'Foo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Okay, I have pretty much had it with this map and trying to deal with "finer details." Like getting the pitched roof perfect, or figuring out what to put around the water, stuff like that. The roof still bugs me a bit because it's not quite where it should be and the dimensions are off from the front to side. But I'm to the point of "whatever," and I will revisit it at a later time. If you guys point out any major issues I will fix it, but once again, this map is pretty much done and I'm washing my hands of it. I'm going to tackle the interior next which is a VERY weak point for me. I'm just awful with interiors...

All cannon fodder is welcome, and nitpicking as well!

[​IMG]

Resources used: RTP

But on a positive note, I made a significant jump in my roof editing skills. I would like to say thanks to Sharm again for helping me figure out the look I should be going for. I still did not achieve it, but close enough for now. My future attempts I can take my gained knowledge into and the next time I design roofs it will go quicker and I know what to go for from the start.

Anyhow, happy mapping y'all!  :rock-right:

Nashtya and The Art of Gaming like this.
  2. yungmonk

yungmonk Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Hello I'm new to working with RPGMAKER. I'm attempting to make a floating island and it's not looking so hot. Any tips? 

Capture00.PNG

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2017
  3. Noobk

Noobk Boo-Boo'Da'Foo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @yungmonk We need to see the map to help!  :popcorn:  Edit your post with a screenshot of it. There is also an RTP map that is a floating island with a castle on it. It comes with the software, you can pull that up for ideas.

4. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @yungmonk The first problem stems from the fact that you simply cannot use those tiles to make a floating island.  If you look at the base, they come complete with part of the ground tile so that they blend with the rest of the grass.  But as this is floating, there is no grass for it to blend with.  If you're prepared to do some heavy editing, you could make the bottom part semi opaque, fading off into another color.  Or you could decide to go complete fantasy.  Here is a link to an old map of mine which was a floating dungeon.  It might give you some idea of what you could do if you're prepared to play around with expectations a bit.

yungmonk likes this.
  5. Loreena

Loreena Mapper Member

First Language:
    German
    fireemblem_zps2890c78e.png

First try at Fire Emblem. Never played it by myself, was done on request and belongs to older stuff. 

m56_6au6z52yy.png

A very random cave I made back in the times I was romhacking (pre browsergame/maker)

lanthir.png

This is the underwater part of a maze. The upper surfing (It's a Pokemon Fangame) part was done by my best friend and rival Phyromatical. It's actually playable and was inserted in the browsergame Crystal Stadt (Currently on Hiatus). You can "walk" over the grass. Credits for the tiles go to the awesome Kyledove. 

f29442.png

Pokemon players might be familiar to this route - 116 in Hoenn. 

20. -Plaudagei-.png

This was for an adventcalender, so just nice looking, not thought to be playable. 

6. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Loreena I am unclear about the purpose of your post.  It sounds as if you just want to showcase maps you've done in the past, rather than seeking feedback on current work.  As these appear to be maps that are not in a game and you are not experimenting with to try out tiles or styles any feedback you might get would probably not be relevant.  Perhaps you could clarify what it is you are looking for.

7. RocketKnight

RocketKnight Broke with expansive taste Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @MasterTaffer  good job! Reminds me RM 2000 vibes, that's really cool.

[​IMG]

Hey guys, any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2017
    Bourgeoise, Mistral, Loppa and 4 others like this.
  8. Lihinel

Lihinel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    @RocketKnight: Seems pretty solid, would add some spider webs to the corners of the room to match those on the mirror, or remove those on the mirror. Spiders tend not to be picky when it comes to web placement and only having them in one place seems strange.

@topic: Made character portraits for my main cast and added them as well as some particle effects to my title screen:

SoSick. and RocketKnight like this.
  9. joeydotrawr

joeydotrawr Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Anyone know a good way to visually display doorways or entranceways facing any direction other than up?

10. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    See a similar discussion a few posts back.  On my phone so can't check but probably the previous page.

11. Edgeklinge

Edgeklinge Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    @dsiver144 freaking love it xD I'll buy it for sure when it's out!

Also any suggestions?

Screenshot_2017-01-09-03-17-40.jpg

Yoraee, jjbones123 and dsiver144 like this.
  12. Prescott

Prescott argggghhh Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @joeydotrawr Just make an indent in the wall to make a little path to where a door would be. One tile does it. Make sure you have a wall there too so it doesn't just look like a ceiling overhang or something. If you need to have a door, what I've done for instance is used the middle piece of the wooden rail tile in the interior tileset for MV. You can rotate it an place it in photoshop if it looks a little weird on the other side with the whole shadow thing.

13. Vandriette

Vandriette Dark King Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
  14. Loppa

Loppa ☣ Town of the Dead Veteran

First Language:
    ITALY
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Town of the Dead New Screenshot:

[​IMG]

RetroBoy, Kvothe, jjbones123 and 4 others like this.
  15. Nicke

Nicke Fortune seeker Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Loppa: Nice visuals.

Here is a new one from me. Working on the HUD now... looks more or less like the previous one I used in Hirion but I like it. :)

[​IMG]

RetroBoy and Loppa like this.
  16. Prescott

Prescott argggghhh Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Akumai while the lighting looks pretty good, I think it's too colorful. Maybe a bit less saturation would help? I'm also not so sure paintings would be that close to the ground. Other than that though it looks nice, cool reflections.

17. SomaelCK

SomaelCK Lv 99 Simple Sheep Veteran

First Language:
    Burmese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Akumai That's a lovely light-work there! Subtle and pleasing to the eye!

Anyway, this is a new map and sprite from the project, One Loves the Sunset! The sprite did not actually move in the gif there tho. Please let me know what you think of it! :)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2017
    somenick, RLMurphey, Knayter and 10 others like this.
  18. jjbones123

jjbones123 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hello everyone! :)

It's been awhile since I last posted anything on this thread. (Or any thread for that matter...) but after a long hiatus, I have gone back to working on my game. I have taken the feedback I got from my last map post and have finally gotten the room to look what I consider acceptable standards. (Which is saying something, given how indecisive I am and my tendencies to hate most of what I create. : P )

At the very least, it's an improvement on what I had last time. But I still can't help feel the room feels a little empty. I mean there's a lot of stuff at the back of the room: furniture, a poster, a window and such. But the rest of the room only has a couple socks. (Placement pending, I might move them around or something...). But the more I think about what to decorate the room with, the more stumped I become.

The room belongs to a modern day boy (11 yrs or so) that likes baseball. Only being a few years older, I based it on my room, but I found that I didn't really have any toys, most of what I have is copyrighted games and game consoles, which I couldn't put in the game. I thought about maybe putting something baseball related like a bat on the floor, but then I thought; "what if the player might want to use it as a weapon?" and I don't want them to have weapons yet. I thought about more excess clothes across the floor, but one of the first things the player does is walk over to the wardrobe to get dressed, I don't want to confuse them by putting clothes that they can't interact with everywhere. so i'm at a loss...

Regardless, let me know what you think of the room's new look; is it good or bad?

Anything I could do to improve it? Also, do you have any suggestions as to what I could decorate the rest of the room with??

If you've read this far, then thank you for your time. slightly bigger room 5.png

RetroBoy, Nashtya and SomaelCK like this.
  19. LusianL

LusianL Lord Charset Veteran

First Language:
    Italia
    Wild dab! XD

[​IMG]

DragonFly and jjbones123 like this.
  20. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @jjbones123 You say that you have based this on your own room.  I suggest you therefore look at what you have.  Do you have a 12 foot gap between your bed and your desk?  Probably not.  Then think about the other floor measurements.  On the basis of the size of the bed (3 ft wide and 6 ft long) the room in your map is huge.  I'd cut it down dramatically.  Move the window to above the desk - that's where you're going to want light.  Then put the right hand wall a tile to the right of where you have the wall shelf at the moment.  Is the door exit 2 tiles deep?  Difficult to tell.  If it is, make it one.  Knock out at least one whole horizontal row of tiles, preferably two.  Now it should be easy to fill the floor space.

To everyone (there isn't a tag for that)

Just a gentle reminder.  I've noticed for several pages now that a lot of people are posting screenshots, but don't give feedback.  Or else it's a very generalized one-liner.  If you want to receive feedback that is more likely to happen if everyone makes an effort to give at least some feedback themselves.  It doesn't have to be to everyone.  It doesn't have to be several paragraphs.  If you like something, say what you think is good about it so that the person can build on that.  Sometimes we don't know why a map we've made "works" and it can be helpful if it is pointed out that e.g. we've got a good balance of different types of space.  Or our choice of colors gives a good atmosphere, or whatever.  By studying other people's maps to give feedback we can learn a huge amount ourselves.  If you have suggestions to make that you think will improve it, great.  Make them.  That way everyone benefits.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.