Game & Map Screenshots 8

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, May 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicke

Nicke Fortune seeker Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @callmedan: Hmm I feel it is a bit empty of life. Maybe more NPCs and perhaps animals too? You can also play around with the tint effect and maybe add a sunbeam effect. :)

Anyways.. I am currently working on a Crystal cave and playing around with the light effects but maybe I went a bit too far and added too much hehe.

[​IMG]

Rabosion, Loppa, Lee Sang and 5 others like this.
  2. Slammy

Slammy Protector of the Library Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not at all, the light effects are really awesome! I think it'd be cool to see even more crystals around, itd really give off a beautiful and colorful vibe.

3. callmedan

callmedan Friendly Stranger Veteran

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @Nicke Thank you ! There's fog & sunbeam effect in the map but it doesn't show up here .

Btw, I like the light effect in your map.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2017
  4. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @callmedan I think part of the issue is the way you have handled your walls.  You are inconsistent in making some walls 2 tiles thick (ceiling, not height) and some only one.  What is particularly odd is that it is some of your interior town walls which are 2 wide and yet the external wall protecting the town from outside is only one.

Then think about the back wall of the town.  No one is going to waste a lot of resources and time building a wall that is straight on to a cliff.  They will use that cliff as a natural barrier.  If you took your side external walls up to the cliff and eliminated the back wall completely, you could also then remove the wall between the houses and the river.  That would be far more natural, as people will want easy access to water.  In addition, I would do away with that strange extra bit top left corner.  Why have the people gone to all that trouble to create an empty space protected by all those walls?

Now for the large house top right.  You have extended the upper floor too far back without any visible support.  It may be that the lower floor is L-shaped to support it, but there is no visual clue for that, so it just looks like it's floating in mid air.

As a general rule, stalls would tend to cluster together, rather than being 2 in one place and 2 in another.  If I were running the stalls at the back I would think seriously about moving to a more central location, as I'd be more likely to get customers.  And finally, you have 2 houses with ladders so that people can access the stuff they've stored on their roofs, but the house in the middle doesn't have any apparent access to the items.

5. Zero2505

Zero2505 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @NickeLove your map, you did a wonderful job with the lighting. Everything blends together really nice.

6. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Nicke:The one thing that bothers me with your lighting is that it illuminates parts that should stay in the shadow (the ceiling and past the corners).

If you're using a lighting script, that may be difficult to fix. With an overlay, it's easier but less dynamic.

That being said, most players won't bother or even notice, I bet.

7. Nicke

Nicke Fortune seeker Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @cabfe: Yes that will be very tedious to fix since I use a plugin but if I wanted to be super realistic I would parallax the lights and shadows as well. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2017
  8. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @callmedan Kes related most of my comments. The one other thing I would point out is that you've got a wall around the water that is coming out of the cliff and the little river it produces. Water is a super-valuable thing in the desert. People aren't likely to wall it off like that. More than likely, they would make the water as accessible as possible, since it is so important for the life of the town. Rather than a wall, they would probably dig a channel or canal and route it to a place where they could more easily access it, like a large basin or tank.

9. callmedan

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @Kes@GolfHacker I didn't expect that much problems. I'll try to fix it. Thank you so much!

10. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @callmedan I've just noticed another thing - there's no gateway into the town.

11. callmedan

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @Kes Yes, there is. It's on the left of the map. Go down from the big house top left and move left. It's the entrance.

It's hard to recognize it on the screenshot XD

12. Uran87

Uran87 Villager Member

First Language:
    Italian, Englis
    hello guys I would like to share with you a screenshot taken from Skydancer Rpg (a post-atomic tale). This is the upgrade system of my Rpg, very similar to FFX. I called it "Chess upgrade"-

What do you think about?

[​IMG]

Loppa, kaine, Marquise* and 2 others like this.
  13. Noobk

Noobk Boo-Boo'Da'Foo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Uran87 I have no clue what I'm looking at really since I don't know what every symbol means, but it looks cool! Keep at it!  :rock-right:

14. PlayBoyMan

PlayBoyMan Game Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello, everyone!

I'm redesigning some maps for my RPG, and I would like some feedback on one of the maps.

The map is for the interior of a temple. Multiple rooms connected by hallways. The issue I'm having is with the side and bottom walls. I had walls outlined, but Now I've changed it so the walls are less visible as to focus more on the interior. The side walls and bottom have been removed and shadowing has been added for the proper effect.

Map054.png

My question is: Does this look better and more appealing to the eye? If it does, I'm going to redesign all the interior maps to have this style. 

Either way, feel free to give me your input. And please don't hold back, I see a lot of room for improvement with this map.

Thank you in advance for all the input.

PS: Forgot to include an image for comparison. This is an interior map for a multimap building, which uses side and bottom walls::

Map013.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2017
    Marquise* likes this.
  15. Ryzler

Ryzler Princess in Distress Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Side and bottom walls looks better and will probably be a little less confusing for players. The top image may lead people to be confused about map edge transfer

16. Uran87

Uran87 Villager Member

First Language:
    Italian, Englis
    THis is the upgrade system of my rpg where you can upgrade your statistics (Hit points, Ki points, attack, defense, agility, spirit, learn new techs and martial arts, and rise your "hon level" :D)

17. LxCharon

LxCharon I'm the best hyperbole writer in the world. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think both maps have rooms that are fairly large, I'd personally shrink them down some. And for your mapping style I agree with @Ryzler and think the walls all around looks better. The four fireplaces in that great hall look a tad odd too, two large fireplaces would probably be better.

Also map questions like this should probably be posted here: 

18. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @PlayBoyMan I've merged your topic with Game & Map Screenshots.

PlayBoyMan and LxCharon like this.
  19. Uran87

Uran87 Villager Member

First Language:
    Italian, Englis
    the first map is too empty. The second is better but maybe too square. Try to smooth the angles and try not to make gigantic rooms like this. Try something smaller :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2017
  20. PlayBoyMan

PlayBoyMan Game Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The first image has zero map transfers, except the exit which is at the bottom. All the larger rooms are connected via corridors, removing the need for map transfers. My thinking of having the side and bottom walls not being there is to create an element of claustrophobia and uncertainty.

I agree that I should make it smaller and round out the edges as needed.

Uran87 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.