Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@PlayBoyMan Almost by definition, walls are better at creating an atmosphere of claustrophobia.  Uncertainty is probably best created some other way.  Where is the uncertainty if I know that the exit is via the corridor I just used to get there?  Presumably all those teleports are to send you to uncertain parts of the map?

PlayBoyMan

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@PlayBoyMan Almost by definition, walls are better at creating an atmosphere of claustrophobia.  Uncertainty is probably best created some other way.  Where is the uncertainty if I know that the exit is via the corridor I just used to get there?  Presumably all those teleports are to send you to uncertain parts of the map?

The initial idea was to have teleports, yes. The theme I'm going for is to create an environment where the player is not certain on how to escape, find and complete the goal necessary to get to the exit, all while trying to make the player feel uncertain and uncomfortable. 

I will admit, this map is a mess and is one of my earlier map designs. I want to clean it up and bring in all the elements I intended.

Amarok

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello people, im working to adapt Moghunter fast travel system plugin to my project: https://atelierrgss.wordpress.com/rmv-fast-travel/ 

Right now what is giving me a bit of a headache is the interface. 

I would love to have some feedback about the interface, how does it look? would you change it? redo it completely? 

The player would spend quite some time on this map as the game direct inspiration are both the japanese rpg Eiyuu senki and the sandbox pc game mount and blade. 

Sin-título.jpg

LxCharon

I'm the best hyperbole writer in the world.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Amarok While I think your map looks amazing (like stellar) I'm a little confused by the symbols. Is the red diamond on the map with a star "other" or is it something else because there's a similar symbol next to the Quest symbol up top.

fallenlorelei

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Amarok I think it looks great! I'd have to see it in action before determining good or bad (its usability), but from the screenshot its very pretty and shows me crucial information without being overwhelming.

One small thing I noticed was the red icon below "Quests" with the gold star. Because it's under Quests, I immediately thought it was the marker for Quests but really its the marker for Other, correct? Maybe I'm just silly and haven't had enough coffee yet :)  I wonder if you could move the Cities/Quest/Other icons closer to the center of the image. Still at the top, but central. Additionally, maybe top align the leftmost information rectangle with the rightmost city selection rectangle. Just to polish it up a little bit :)  But other than being nitpicky since you asked for advice, it's super nice!

I am also in this thread to talk about my own Moghunter plugin adjustment! I made this battle hud yesterday:

battlehudadvice.PNG

It's a combination of Yanfly CTB, Moghunter Battle Hud, and Orange Hud. The game doesn't use MP or TP, but instead items that you find, buy, or craft. Neesha is the crafter of the gang so the main idea is to balance resources and craft mid-battle when you need to. Every actor has their own resources that they use. For example, here, Deirdre uses Arrows or Poison Arrows. (The 5th actor in the right corner is a summon - there can be a 2nd one below that as well).

I wanted the hud to make it clear what items you currently have so you can make decisions accordingly. I might have gotten a little carried away with the graphics :) I personally like it, and can see everything I think I'll need to but that's because I made it and know what I'm looking at.

So I'm wondering - does this setup make sense for you? Is it too overwhelming? Should it be more clear? Should I get rid of the extraneous graphics? (Again, I got carried away haha). Any input you have would be super helpful.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Amarok

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
thanks for the feedback guys! i made a little gif to show it in movement, wish the quality was a bit better xD anyway i will upload a proper video after i polish it a bit more. 

I also changed the frame around the borders, i like this one, i think i might use this style for boxes in general. Im also wondering if i should add more details to the map itself, maybe some text so the player can instantly see the name of each area. 

@fallenlorelei that setup looks alright to me, similar to some rpgs ive seen both on console and mobile, though you could still save some space by putting the materials list horizontally on top, where the help box currently is, but thats more of a idea than a critique, there are many small elements on it so im not sure how it would look on small devices but for pc looks good to me. 

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@fallenlorelei It's a very attractive setup, but as a player I find it awkward having some information on the far left and some on the far right.  I can see that visually you could say that it is nicely balanced (and that would be true) but in battle I, as a player, value speed of information assimilation and clarity over how nice something looks.  I assume that by the time everything gets this complicated (verging on cluttered) I will know what all the little icons between the character's face and the HP bar mean, but at the moment it feels a bit overwhelming.

LxCharon

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh @Amarok@fallenlorelei is probably right in that it's on the map and just looks like it's part of the HUD I'm sure it translates better when played! 

and fallenlorelei, your battle GUI looks great! I love the use of tileset assets to build it.

3 minor things (and 1 thing I think is more major): What's the blue winged thing in the top right corner? The text in the top bar is over too far to the left, it needs to be moved just a smidge to the right. I would adjust the purple in the health bars a little. I like how the purple plays off the brown and green but that specific purple is just a little wrong, it needs to be more muted I believe.

The CTB counter on the other hand, needs to be changed, it currently adds nothing to to the battle, it looks out of place, and it doesn't help with the flow of the GUI. 

This is a good post from our master @Archeia about GUI in battle.

I posted this before seeing your Gif @Amarok I looooove it. (the only thing now is when you select "quest" the arrow isn't centered under the diamond)

fallenlorelei

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Amarok yes, in motion, that looks awesome! Nice job :D I suppose 1 small thing would be the central alignment of the "Quests" icon and its little arrow underneath, but I'm sure that's easily fixable~

Thanks everyone for your input! It really helps.

@Amarok: Awesome idea making the material bar horizontal. I don't know why I didn't think of that, haha! Making it horizontal and moving it somewhere else will save up so much space down there.

@Kes: Very true point regarding speed and clarity. That's why I've put the icons there at all, instead of having the user go into "Items" every time they want to see what they have to work with. I think I'll follow the above advice and move the Materials horizontal and maybe place it above the party members somehow. That way your eye isn't going left-to-right-to-left-to-right so often. (Granted, the "materials" on the side aren't going to be used super often. They're mostly for the 1 character Neesha for his crafts).

@LxCharon: The blue thing in the corner is a summon :)  It auto-battles "Heal" whenever its their turn. The battle ui supports up to 2 summons - the second one will show up below. They last about 2 turns (waiting to Hudell to update the hud plugin so I can put the number of turns remaining up there).

As for the description text, I agree! I actually had to change the description graphic because I couldn't figure out how to move the text over. At least, it wasn't in Mog's battle hud plugin parameters. I'm gonna have to figure that one out!

As for the CTB counter, I'd argue that it does add something to the battle, just not aesthetically. It's definitely distracting and doesn't match the theme at all. I may change the icons to their character sprite picture, if I can figure that out (should be like CTB Icon: picture, I think?). I would need a scripter to figure out how to add a background there, though, as the ctb hops down whenever the description panel comes up.

Oh yeah and I'm reading the link you sent! Thanks for that!

LxCharon

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@fallenlorelei Haha, yeah you're right, I'm sure the CTB tracker does add something to a CTB battle system (It wouldn't even be a CTB without the tracker) I did mean aesthetically. But with a GUI that is that aesthetically pleasing it makes the tracker stick out like a sore thumb. I'm not familiar with Yanfly's CTB script but I'll look at it and see how it draws it's pictures and what can be edited to make it look more visually appealing.

Uran87

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian, Englis
Primarily Uses

ù

<- UNDERGROUND OLD METRO

<- OLD TOKYO RUINS

<- WORLDMAP / NEO TOKYO REGION (DEADZONE)

<- DEADZONE

<- BATTLE SYSTEM

Hi guys what do you think about ? All the screenshots are taken from my Rpg "Skydancer - a post-atomic tale" settled in a not so distant future in Japan (Neo Tokyo), in a land ruled by chaos and anarchy. The screens referred to the worldmap (Region of Neo Tokyo called "Deadzone") and some other locations of the game (Old Tokyo Ruins, the deadzone, and a screenshot taken from the Battle System. the gauge on the right (with the faces of the characters) show the progress of the "Combo gauge" that allows you to do a great amount of damage per turn. Every "red" square grant you and Extra attack for a maximum of 4 in one single turn. If you kill an enemy with a combo, you will cause a "Violent Death" that boost your experience after battle (every violent death is animated in the game)

The gauge over the head of the party is the "Rush mode bar". When it's totally charged you can perform a special attack pressing the directional keys, but you must equip it before the battle using the custom menu' of the game.

The game is totally in Italian (and almost done, for a total of 25/30 hours only for the main quest). I'm looking for feedbacks to translate it in english :) . This is the first time that I show this project in a foreign forum, so if you like it, i will translate it in english for sure! :(

waiting for your opinions about the screenshots :) Bye and best!

Niten Ichi Ryu

Grey Lords Emissary
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That looks really interesting, totally get a Hokuto No Ken vibe... Particularly the bit about animated violent death.

Is it mostly tiles and drawn background or parallaxing?

Uran87

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian, Englis
Primarily Uses
only backround parallaxes with a picture for every map to get the "roof effect :)". Anyway I really took inspiration from Hokuto no ken series! The protagonist of the entire saga is called "Tanaka Shin" and he is a master of fearsome ancient martial art style called Denryoku Jutsu that allow he to kill the enemy using his Ki-energy. There are lots of things that recalls Hokuto no ken (even my avatar hahaha taken from a portrait of the game xD)

Amnyway Thank you :)

RetroBoy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Uran87

I think you have an astounding overworld map (and overworld sprites) and the few screens you've showed work well. I think its looking really crisp BUT I think that the Sprite in Deadzone needs to look a bit grittier. His rounded boots give him a rather cartoony look when contrasted to the figured in the battle system. I would recommend trying to touch him up a little. The same with the girl in the first screenshot, her dress is far too bright and in far too good condition for me to see her as a survivor in this grim and gritty world you've painted. I also think those trash can lids could be a little rounder, they look a little too oval for my liking.

Can't wait to see this finished, it looks like it will be fun. I am especially fond of your Facesets!

Uran87

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian, Englis
Primarily Uses
thank you :p I will edit the characters for sure once I finished the game because I totally agree with your vision !

It will be a very huge work because I have tons of animations for each character (in game and in the battle system :( )

Tanaka Shin (One of the 2 protagonists. Master of Denryoku Jutsu. He prefer his punches to words)

GUNNER (my preferite one, a badass post atomic punk armed with a Huge gun.)

Tatsuke Sanji (The protagonist with a lightsaber called Musane Hikari equipped with 2 different "shape" switchable during the fights, Red Shape and Blue shape and a mecha-arm equipped with machinegun, flamethrowers, lasergun etc...)

Tanaka Koji, Shin's big brother and the real master of Denryoku Jutsu. He is one of the strongest man of the post atomic Japan

Hozoin Reiji, a misterious wanderer of the dead zone. He use an elegant style of combat that could be exchange for some kind of a "dance". Definetely the best fighter of the entire saga.

Yamada Yoko, Shin's childhood friend. She is a master of Reiki and the healer of the party.

:) thanks for your feedback :*

leave you some of the portrait of the characters :p

RetroBoy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I love your concept. You have such a clear vision. Can't wait to see it finished and I love that your characters are not the same edits we see over and over. It reminds me a little of Fist of the North Star (which I love) but with a slightly more grounded tone. Very cool. :D

Uran87

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian, Englis
Primarily Uses
Thanks, your feedback means a lot to me ç_ç. Over 5 years of work on it. There is a demo (in italian) that I'm going to translate in Eng. :) thanks you very much!

RetroBoy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
There is no need to thank me. If your game looked like utter **** I'd tell you. I think people gain more from honest criticism than boot licking. I've had to be a little more harsh than I'd like in a couple of other posts on the board, so its really nice being able to encourage someone that has a really great product. Focus on finishing the game, then focus on translating it. 

All the best Uran, Master of the Atomic Fists. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Trying to get enough of an outline for my game to know what art needs to be made. I'm very out of practice with writing, having focused on art, and I'm realizing that I really missed it.
Make a Game in RPG Maker MZ: Episode 4 is now LIVE! Join us as we create our random encounter system. Random doesn't mean the player can't have some control! Want to figure out how, then tune in!
I must now resume my “things that make me money” activities, and relegate game-mak to a day or two a week. Maybe a lil in the afternoon, but I usually work on “career” level stuff then too.
Sotheby's had send me a mail this moment, stating an auction base for a book of mine at 150.000 euro. I found that book in a trashbin. It look like those chests that simply hide the final sword in an RPG.
I need to find some mapping tutorials cause I'm soooo terrible at it. like just awful lol. I've been having a huge asset issue with anything that isn't battle related unfortunately thanks to custom non-rtp characters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Popcorn_Kitty_Gamer