Retro Pixlr
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Vexed I can't stop looking at your screenshot! It looks so cool and spoopy :3

@Vinje Those tiny details added to the characters really add to the uniqueness of your game! I like it! Well done!

@Lee Sang Nice atmosphere! It is really hard to see outside of the light sources, but I guess that was the intention. Is that character the owner of the house?

fallenlorelei

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Vinje love your titlescreen! I think maybe the greenish-teal bar makes the title a bit hard to read, since they're both in such vibrant colors. Maybe consider making the font's outline thicker and darker :) or play around with a colors a bit to make them both more clear!

@Lee Sang beautiful! I love it! That circular light effect on the ground is really neat looking~

Here's a map I just finished making.  :)

cavehouse.PNG

It's an underground cave community, and this will be the main character's humble home. I spliced up some resources and merged them with Mr Pyramid's cave set for the rocky furniture. It looks a little odd, but... maybe it works :)  The crystals are the lightsource (although they can see easily without them. The town is called Manaweed so I thought it fitting!)

A-Moonless-Night

WINTER IS COMING
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@fallenlorelei Perhaps give the crystals a stronger light or edit the colour a bit? I didn't even realise they were crystals until you pointed it out—I thought they were clumps of grass. I'd also suggest editing the shadow of the tablecloth on the rock table; since it's draped over something lumpy like that, it wouldn't have such a crisp edge (especially considering you've done that with the edge itself, but not the shadow). Final nitpick is the edge of some of the cliff bottoms; they suggest that there's grass poking over them, but the ground is mostly rock.

Otherwise, looks really nice. The rock furniture is cute.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@fallenlorelei: At first, it looks nice. And soon after, "nonsense" is shouting through my brain.

Your coffee table should be near the ground, instead, it's almost on top of a rock pile, making it a stunt to take your coffee cup there. The shadow beneath it especially makes the table look like it's hanging in mid-air.
And I'm calling it coffee table because it looks like it, especially with the teapot for size comparison. No way 4 people can take their meals on it.
On the right, there are sprouts under the crates that are literally cut straight, not crushed under the weight of the crates. Impossible.
The kitchen part, above the character, is unstable at best. Try to use it and it will fall onto the ground the moment you push your hand on it. I won't comment on the lack of a water source (no faucet, either it's missing or they use buckets of water).
I like your bookcase, though.

Upper floor:
People not always agree on this, but your stairs look like a ladder. It begins and ends on the same vertical axis, in a 3D view.
There are sprouts just after the stairs. Unless it has been abandoned for years, walking there will prevent sprouts to appear. There should be erosion instead. Similar thing should happen on the first floor between the table and the kitchen sink.
The pillar is going higher than the ceiling. I know a natural cave's ceiling isn't linear, but on only one place, it looks odd.
Beds on rock piles? If the people there are able to cut rock (since they did so for the bookcase and such) why would they sleep on round rocks? I know, you can tell me that there is a mattress, but frankly, this doesn't make sense. Beds already have legs to be above ground.
Last thing before I look like a raging moron: How did they manage to get a rug *under* the rock piles? And if they add the rocks later, why didn't they move the rug. Again, nonsense.

You can do a pretty map, that's a fact, but you need to think about what you put in it. Some things can be accepted in a fantasy setting, but some simply cannot.
I hope I didn't sound too harsh. English is not my first language so my choice of words may have been rude. I am only trying to help you make this map better.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@fallenlorelei In addition to cabfe's points (which I agree with), I think you also need to edit your rocks a bit more.  They are much lighter and brighter than the rock which makes up the wall, so that they do not look like they come from the same general location.  Why import rocks from somewhere else when there is plenty locally?  They need to be much nearer the color of the walls.  One tiny further point - I wouldn't put a sink in there at all.  It has a plug hole, but it's sitting on solid rock, so where does the water go?  To indicate dish washing, I'd edit the tile for the clothes washing container (not sure what to call it) and put a couple of cups inside it to make it obvious what it's used for.

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@fallenlorelei I like it. It is unique. It is bunny magic, right? I agree with the above about the shadow under the table, the sink's drainage hole, and the rock color of the furniture being slightly darker. The nonsensical stuff can be accepted with minor explanation... which if I remember correctly from a previous post at some point after your return had to do with some form of geomagic of these bunny people? That was how the underground gardens were explained unless I am mistaken.

Ellie Jane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is the first draft of a rendition of the de Birmingham Manor, which was basically the founding point of the city I live in.

Source material:

Still some work to go and I have changed it slightly to fit my game. It's just a little homage.

fallenlorelei

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
LOL woah. I expected to get some feedback - and thank you for that! - I just didn't expect to have every nook and cranny blown apart. I'm a little thrown off by the idea of "nonsense." Is this not... RPG Maker? A builder of fantastical universes?

I can fix the table's messed up shadow, thank you for pointing that out. I missed that! And I can move the clovers. That's a good point. But some of this other stuff is pushing it a little.

The kitchen part, above the character, is unstable at best. Try to use it and it will fall onto the ground the moment you push your hand on it. I won't comment on the lack of a water source (no faucet, either it's missing or they use buckets of water).

I wouldn't put a sink in there at all.  It has a plug hole, but it's sitting on solid rock, so where does the water go? 
The kitchen was a bit of a dilemma for me. I could shrink it and have it fit on the rock more, or keep it as-is. I thought it looked less odd like this. It's not meant to be "precariously perched" but rather part of it. I can try to work on that? But yes, there's no running water in this community, and that's addressed as a major point in the plot. They use buckets by going to aquifers. I'd get rid of the hole, but then there'd be nowhere for the water to drain!

I think you also need to edit your rocks a bit more.  They are much lighter and brighter than the rock which makes up the wall, so that they do not look like they come from the same general location.  Why import rocks from somewhere else when there is plenty locally?  They need to be much nearer the color of the walls.
This crossed my mind while mapping (notice the big pillar is the color of the walls) but in the end I decided to go with different colors. There are lots of different rocks under the earth. Some clay, some sand, some crystal. Using the same color for all the rocks made the room plain. I liked being able to make the corners and furniture stand out from the walls more.

Beds on rock piles? If the people there are able to cut rock (since they did so for the bookcase and such) why would they sleep on round rocks?

How did they manage to get a rug *under* the rock piles?
Because it's a cave community and they sleep on rocks/dirt, yes some rocks/dirt of different colors taken from elsewhere, and yes different shapes and sizes.

The main character is a bunny girl. Making her sleep on a normal bed (recolored to resemble a shaped rock perhaps even) would take so much away from the room. It's nonsense, yes. But it's fantasy. It's whimsical. It's adding (albeit silly) environment. It grabs the users attention. I honestly don't expect them to think, "They sleep on misshapen rocks?! What a terrible nonsensical game! Turning it off this instant! This is bad and she should feel bad!" If it was a normal bed, that would be far more distracting. In fact, I was originally using those rolled-up sleeping bags. But the rock formations added more.

I don't mean to sound defensive, I do appreciate the points I noted above. I just don't understand why we're trying to dissuade nonsense. I can accept that my execution was poor. I can't tile, I can only make frankenmonsters. The bed covers and the tablecloth don't have the shadows to fit the curvature of the rock. The kitchen is a mess. But damn. Is that so terrible?

@Arcmagik Aww you remembered! Haha! Yes :) it's the same game! She's from an underground community of plant mages (ooo "geomagic"! I like that! I might take it), which is how plants are growing. It's also how there are those crystals casting light.

I'm re-doing the maps. Actually, since I'm here and we're talking about nonsense, here's what the outside looks like now:

Gathering2.gif There's a placeholder bat and chest haha. Don't mind them!

But yes, its coming along. I'm using that first room as the "base" for the rest of the buildings in the community, so I'm glad I got feedback! I need to fix that kitchen *chinstroke*

Last edited by a moderator:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@fallenlorelei I hope you're not downhearted with all the feedback.  I think what is happening is that people sense that you have talent and are trying to push you to the next level.  Your maps are not just places where 'stuff' happens, but help to tell your story without using words.  Therefore the more articulate they are, the better they will support your narrative by creating a coherent game world.  This is different from 'eye candy', though it's good when they are attractive as well.  It is by attention to small details that a cumulative impact can be made.  Keep it up!

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
What I call "nonsense" (perhaps a badly chosen word) is parts that cannot happen or would be illogical in a real, living world.
Of course, we are making games, not historically accurate recreations of places/events. But if you create a world, even a fantasy one, it has to follow some rules of common sense.

Even you thought about this when you said:

I'd get rid of the hole, but then there'd be nowhere for the water to drain!
You *could* do without a hole, it's fantasy and players probably won't care. But common sense dictates that there should be one. Hence, when something feels unnatural or illogical, we pick it even in a fantasy setting.

I'm not sure about the beds. Your bunny characters sleep on rocks, why not. But then, why are there beds with a mattress? Either one or the other. Both don't work, in my opinion.

Of course it'll be more work, but if you can make it look more like a burrow, you'd kill two birds with one stone: getting rid of the "nonsense" of the beds and increase the world building consistency of your game. And it'll look unique, too!

SoSick.

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Amy Pond looks really nice setting..good job as allways!.

@fallenlorelei Never seen a map like that before :D ,like the bookcase, I think it looks cool! Keep up the good work!.

I'm Trying hard to get good at all this pixel art stuff, it's not easy and you can see in my maps but practise will make perfect, first pic is from my new project ill be making..some tile's used from cyanide. I struggle with making curved line's..and didn't know if I should add anything else to the stadium? Other screen shot's from my FF7 fan game.

Oh I don't know how I put images in a spoiler but I will do so if someone will tell me :D

new project.PNG

ff7 screen1.PNG

ff7screen2.PNG

Amarok

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey guys, i started experimenting a bit with some effects for a custom title screen. (I used Moghunter title screen plugins for this one)

And since i already had a fantasy map lying around i migrated the texturing to a real world map and made a title screen for a grand strategy/rpg hybrid maybe? those two are usually my fav genres, its sad that they rarely get mixed. 

I would love to hear some opinions on this one, i like this idea myself, but any suggestion/crit is welcome.

PD: im terrible at naming things haha that title is placeholder.  

Full size jpg: http://imgur.com/a/IZmCy

fallenlorelei

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Haha thank you @Kes and @cabfe. I tried being lighthearted in my response while still stickin to my guns! ;D

Here's how I've changed the map:

cavehouse2.PNG

• Recolored some rocks that serve no function
  • Removed some clovers
  • Stretched out the table
  • Moved the rug around
  • Used the lasso and warp tool to fix up the beds and tablecloth
  • (I'm keepin' the beds as is!)
  • Secured the kitchen counter :p   and removed the hole
  • Also mom is there staring at the oven

Also, a lot of people like the bookcase, but that is not one of my frankentiles, that is Mr Pyramid's :D  I used his base for the monstrosity above the stairs.

@SoSick. Really neat map! I love the post-apocolyptic feel! Nice job with the grunge work. I'm a little confused by the truck on the bottom left of the last image. Is it on its side? The cat kinda makes me more confused haha. I think playing this game, I'd understand the truck a little more. In a stand-alone picture without context, I'm tilting my head seeing where it is and what its doing.

@Amarok I love it! Oh man, makes me feel like I'm about to play a Civilization game. The floaty bits make me think of embers after a fire, which totally suits the title Imperial Chaos. Like the world is burning. I say keep the title! It fits!

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@fallenlorelei: I think it looks much better now!

About the sink area, it does look more secure, but also harder to access. I'd cut the rock part under a line the same level as the bottom of the stairs. Like it's a rock base but not coming towards the exterior. Something like the part under a washbasin. IRL, it's supporting the sink from under it while not coming in the way when you stand in front of it.

GolfHacker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Amy Pond I love the look of that scene! My only criticism would be that it looks like the windows are resting on the ground. You might consider making the windows shorter and putting a couple of rows of brick between the bottom of the window and the ground. Other than that, nicely done! Where did you get the brick texture, if I may ask? I don't recall seeing that in the Fantastic Buildings: Medieval set...

Ellie Jane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@GolfHacker if it's not from Fantastic Buildings it must be from Celianna's Ancient Dungeons base pack,. I have them all together in one image that I draw from.

Rabosion

Retro Pixlr
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
@fallenlorelei Amazing work! Absolutely beautiful!

@AllyThat looks really cool! I love the suspense in that screenshot! It makes me want to shoot some zombies!

And here I present to you my very first map. I made this little village using only the FSM dlc tiles in the editor and I'm fairly proud of it for my first try. But what are your thoughts on this one? (I don't have the doors implemented yet in this picture, so let's pretend that they're just open for a moment ;)  )

MAP370-min.png

EDIT: I suddenly noticed that I messed up some of the chimneys... oops. :(  

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Rabosion those trees are too perfect. They should be staggered rather than in a straight line. As well, there's more forest than anything else, which isn't really visually pleasing. To avoid must-fill-up-map syndrome, shrink your map size. 

@Ally impressive. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

A hilarious video at the beginning

What kind of drinks does a bar populated entirely by monsters serve?
Ami
--- Cheating Part 2 ---

F.Healer: Ahh,This item really expensive!
F.Mage: What should we do?
Hero: Don't worry,i can use this (Activate 999999999G,Suddenly The Game Police Is Watching)
Game Police:Ehem!!! (I See You Gesture)
Hero: (Gulp)...Just...forget it...

Second bust is almost ready. I have to stop for now, but I wanted to show him off. Just have to do a handful of edits and the rest of his expressions will be done.
Kupotepo wrote on casper667's profile.
Thank you @casper667 for make many amazing plugins. Do you see right @hiddenone make the blogs about your plugins?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tallic