Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It has been awhile since I've been around here... in that time MV and I stopped talking. I got back with the ex-engine, VX Ace, though unfortunately for me that means starting over. Things have been good though so far... I have high hopes. Also I put my Parallaxing tendency aside and just started throwing together tilesets for maps. Pretty nifty.

I redid the Exterior of Bargon Castle. Nevermind the creepy robed guy just standing there staring at you... that is my debug character.

Map018.png

For reference I have also attached my MV version... and the 2k3 version by Kamau

Spoiler

This is at 1/2 size in 2k3.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Arcmagik As an aside before looking at your map - those 2k3 building and roof tiles are visually so much more interesting than many that we have to hand now.  (sigh).

The first thing that struck me about your map was the lack of scaling.  By that I mean that, generally speaking, doors and windows at ground level tend to be larger and grander than those at higher levels, or at least different.  Yours stay the same throughout the building.  This is particularly forceful when we get to my second point.  On the top level there is this enormous door - for what?  All I could do is come out onto a narrow'ish ledge, admire the view, put up clean banners if they had got dirty, and then go back in.  I think as a player I would expect more from a door like that.  While on the subject of banners, I think there are too many of them.  I can see that you might want to put up a lot to provide some visual variation, but I suggest that you do that in some other way (here's where having different windows at ground level would help).

@Rabosion For a very first map, that is not bad at all.  However, there are, I think, a number of things which you could usefully change.  I think I would pull those houses much closer together, and not have tree barriers between them.  In a forest setting people will want to be closer together for safety and security from wild beasts/vagabonds/whatever.  As has already been said, there are simply too many trees and they are too perfectly laid out. 

You have conflicting indications of what this place is about.  The setting and the small number of buildings suggest somewhere rural, obscure, not likely to be wealthy.  Yet you have a beautifully maintained paved road (though only dirt paths to the houses) and elaborate street lamps (which repeatedly constrict the width of the road to one tile, not helpful for wagons etc.), neither of which is what one would expect.  You also have a big variation in building materials and style.  This is unlikely in a small place.  Locally sourced materials would tend to be at least similar, so that e.g. all walls would be brick, or stone, and all roofs would be made of a similar tile.  Certainly the church would often look distinctive, but not ordinary houses.  They would be individualized with things like flower pots, window boxes, layout, different washing hanging out on the line, different out buildings, things like that.

You have an enormous church, but no obvious place where the congregation would come from.  I am unsure (because of the scale) what the building is top right with so many windows.  I can see a sign, but can't make out what it is.  What sort of building, in the middle of the forest, is going to have so many rooms?  If it is the inn, then there would have to be a huge number of regular travelers to fill it up, in which case the path to the door would be much better defined.

If you made it more compact, you could also have things like a village well, where people would naturally gather and chat.  It would also be much easier (less tedious) for the player to walk around than the present size and layout.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kes I didn't even think about scaling! Plus those windows are pretty RTP. I'll put in some other ones. I actually agree with the banner thing but this King is own to be over gaudy in his display... I'll find another way to represent that. The Window issue might help with the banner issue. Finally I didn't even think about the door that way but I can see it now. I will scale it back (and put a "chest" there for exploration reward) though it is the balcony from which the King would appear to crowds and such.

Rabosion

Retro Pixlr
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Me giving feedback:

@Knayter That is a beautiful rainy forest map! Well done!

@callmedan Nice mines, I like it! For some reason it looks (to me) that a piece of wood next to your character is cut off by the ceiling. Other than that, it looks great to me.

@Lee Sang : That really is a gorgeous screenshot. I love the sunset-lighting, it gives off such a soothing/calming vibe. Under the clock, next to the door I see two little white rectangles without the sunset light, is it a hole in the wall or is it tiny glass? It is a bit confusing to me. But other than that, amazing work!

My gratitude for the feedback and the 2nd version of my village:

@HexMozart88 and @Kes, thank you so much for your feedback. Honestly I didn't plan much for the village. I obviously still have a lot to learn.

@Kes, also thank you for the tips. Some things were unknown to me as I tried to reimagine a neighbourhood that I used to visit often. For example, in my country every house is distinct from each other: each one has a different colour of roof and is in a different size etc. But I thought that it was like that everywhere, guess I am wrong about that.  ;)   And in that neighbourhood you had a sense of isolation / "hostility" towards your neighbour since every house had biiig gardens surrounded by trees to seperate the villagers, so I tried to mimic that way of thinking in the map. But indeed walking is indeed tedious in the village. Oh and at the top right corner was supposed to be an inn. But yeah as I mentioned I did not think much about the structure of the map. Again thank you both for your feedback.
Down here is the second attempt at the village with the feedback and the examples in the editor in mind, again limiting myself to FSM in the editor. (For simplicity I removed the inn and the church). In the top-left corner I let a shady salesman occupy a part of the forest. I wanted to have a reason for revisiting the town at a later date, so storywise I let him cut parts of the forest so that the village could be expanded later on in the story (or something along those lines :)  ). Now the map somehow makes me think of a Pokemon starting town for some reason...

Changes:

- Remade and repositioned the buildings

- Removed the gardens, the surrounding trees, the inn and the church, but I added a well.

1st Map ver 2 (1).png

DragonFly

Itd
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
N/A
Can I have your suggestions about these cards? Normally they are for my game, but I can not post it here, I read the rules and if the game is not totally in English, we can not present it :( unfortunately (in fact I thought Translate to English when I have the first demo but good ...) here are the maps:

screen16.jpgscreen17.jpg

Rabosion

Retro Pixlr
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
@DragonFly : the shots look really good. My suggestion for your scond screenie is to cut the # of horizontal tiles, since there is really little the player can see. I also feel like the trees in that screenie have been cramped together, it's really hard to tell which tree is which.

DragonFly

Itd
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thank you, indeed there is little visibility for the hero, but precisely it is not a map where you can walk, it is a map of cinematic, from the entry in the map we see the characters Enter the cave, then they no longer have access to the exit ^^

Ronove

♫꒰・‿・๑꒱
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Lee Sang those counters are huge! I think you may have to downscale them especially compared to your sprites. If the sprites stand up against the counter, can they even see over it? :p Aside from that though, it looks like a nice kitchen.

Ellie Jane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@DragonFly I really like that forest scene. Forests never have enough trees in my opinion!

@Lee Sang I think all the edits there have really paid off, a very realistic looking scene and it actually looks like a functional kitchen. All the proportions are there too. Gives me some ideas for when I finally get the guts to try interiors.

I think I'm leaving this map for a bit because I really should be working on other things, so for now this manor is finished.

I may substitute the river for my own edits later on, for now I know it's a bit too jungley by virtue of being from the Ancient Dungeons Jungle ;)

Edit: replaced it with my own river using her tiles.

Eraine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh wow, so many beautiful screenshots from everyone! Love the house, @Amy Pond, though I do wonder about that tree sticking out of the chimney. Don't think a tree would have had enough light to grow through a chimney ;) And there's a line showing on the left side of the main house roof, right side of the leftmost "normal" tile.

I have been working on this map from my General Store for way to long now! (and still need to adjust those walltop-thingies that don't blend well). But I feel it's almost there. The lights are all glowing, and you can use both doors by walking up to them and pressing the action button (they do close automatically behind you :) )

General Store.png

It's a mix of mostly RTP and some (recoloured) FSM tiles. Do you guys think it clashes too much?

Ellie Jane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The tree chimney was inspired by one local to me :p

Eraine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That is one brave tree then :)

DragonFly

Itd
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thank you, for the tilesets, I used the tiles of Hanzo, finally ... I think ... if you want I send them to you by mp ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just realized I have a few Steam gifts floating around. Anyone need RPG Maker MV or XP (Steam only)? Send me a message and I will send them on over!
*when you can do the Unity tutorials, but when you actually try and convert it to your own knowledge, it fails horribly*
Hi, I made a game for a competition. I need some players to help play and vote for the best game.

https://ekamu.itch.io/not4ever
don’t forget to rate the game here

Voting is open until 12 August.

Thanks.
Progresses. Tonight: refinemment, column, pitfall, bump and gutter (I'll leave doors for last, they are scary).
What is your favourite rpg maker plugin?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wintyyy