Game & Map Screenshots 8

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, May 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tokh

Tokh sleepwalker ~.~ Member

First Language:
    Russian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @TimmyTheNerd oh then it totally makes sence. Still sticking to the first one anyways.

I`d like to post a screenshot, too. This is one of the many houses in a small thriving countryside. Want to hear your opinion about it. The other ones are similar to this style but are slightly changed serving different purposes and characters so I guess I`d pay attention to my mistakes through this example.

House.png

Name, Marquise*, SamGreen and 3 others like this.
  2. TimmyTheNerd

TimmyTheNerd Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I wound up changing the Academy anyways, blending both A and B:

[​IMG]

3. Tokh

First Language:
    Russian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
  4. TimmyTheNerd

First Language:
    English
    Class rooms within the Academy's class building (The one with the red banner):

[​IMG]
    BASIC ADVENTURER KNOWLEDGE

[​IMG]
    ADVANCE COMBAT TECHNIQUES

[​IMG]
    ADVANCE MAGIC TECHNIQUES

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2016
  5. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @TimmyTheNerd That exterior looks so much better.

@Tokh I would make the bedroom a lot, lot smaller.  That would free up space for a proper kitchen/living area.  

At the moment, you have no cupboards for your kitchen, or for anything much else, nothing for people to sit down on in front of the fire (the only heating in the whole house, so that is where people will congregate).

The drawers of your cupboard in the bedroom face the wall instead of into the room.

No one is going to put a hanging basket of flowers directly over the bed - hard to water it, and when you did, it would drip onto the bed.

In short, you haven't really thought about how people will actually live in your house.  No one is looking for hyper realism, but it needs to give a reasonable impression of functionality.

Luiishu535 likes this.
  6. Zero2505

Zero2505 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Tokh Nicely done, the house fits your theme perfect! I did notice one little problem with the map. In the top right room, you got the dresser facing the wrong way. Other then that, it looks great.

@TimmyTheNerd You're city map looks so much better now. And your class rooms look really nice. They really have that medieval feel too them. Keep up the great work!

Here is a map I just made, I feel like it is missing something. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

SamGreen likes this.
  7. TimmyTheNerd

First Language:
    English
    @Zero2505 That isn't a city, it's the Adventurers Academy. A place where the majority of young heroes and heroines go to be taught how to be adventurers. The player jumps into the shoes of an Academy student (Name and Gender chosen by the player), so the Academy serves as a tutorial area.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2016
  8. Tokh

First Language:
    Russian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @ksjp17 , @Zero2505 thank you for your feedback! For my defense I can only say that right now this is basic RTP tiles, no edits, no recoloring, no tile sets from the creative artists. That is why there are no cupboards for the kitchen and drawer faces the wrong direction. But it is okay, at least I know exactly what I need to search. 

About the fireplace, the area is warm enough throughout the seasons and most of the houses have fireplaces for cooking purposes. Only small and poor ones with a single room can say that they have somewhat living areas with this luxurious piece of furniture because obviously everything they have happens to be within one portion of four walls. 

Overall this is my first serious project and I plan to keep the style mostly RTP, just some recolored sprites and tile edits that make sense, show something important that cannot be made with basic resources or break a boring and monotyped map.

Going to submit more screenshots soon. This really helped me a lot!

9. Luiishu535

Luiishu535 Coffee Machine Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Tokh I really like the vibrant colors of your tiles. Map is pretty good too and I do agree with ksjp17's points. One thing I'd like to point out is the book at the lower right, which is basically hovering at the moment. It's wee bit over the edge. It's also a bit weird seeing the two beds right next to each other; wouldn't a king-sized bed be more appropriate?

@TimmyTheNerd The town looks pretty neat and I like its layout. I think you've gone a bit overkill with those bushes though. Some alternatives to break up the repetition would be nice, like: other plants, flowers, creates, barrels, baskets, logs etc.

@Zero2505 Those MV trees stick out way too much IMO (especially that pink tree). Making them more dark and/or changing the colors around a little would make things look at more consistent and smooth. Something missing, eh? Well, it looks like a pretty epic view, so a bench would probably make your NPCs happy. They have to rest their legs after all of the hiking and adventuring, you know?

I finally finished all of the remaining church maps for my current games. Some of the screenshots are taken during Daytime and some during Nighttime (it's darker at night and that's when all, or most candles get lit). Here we go:

[​IMG]

I'll put the rest of them in this spoiler:

These nuns actually snore Smoke on the Water in-game!

[​IMG]

Father's Office; what secrets may await you inside the pot?

[​IMG]

Folks' Quarter; use the bed to the left to rest till Night/Daytime.

[​IMG]

For some reason, there's a spa in the church. Also; Gunther and the Sunshine Girls.

[​IMG]

There will be more people here later. Trust me, Father Dave is the man.

[​IMG]

That's it, I guess. Aremen!

10. Zero2505

Zero2505 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @TimmyTheNerd My apologies, and that does sound like a great idea for a tutorial area. Can't wait to try your game out when you release it. :D

@Luiishu535 Thank you so much for the feedback. I will look into the trees for sure, and I really like your idea about the bench. Also, I really like the design of your maps. Alot of people make really big empty maps with the chibi style and it looks really off, but you got the size perfect.

Luiishu535 likes this.
  11. SamGreen

SamGreen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @TimmyTheNerd

I really like that academy map, I don't know if it was intentional but I love the circle of trees around the well, sometimes it looks so wrong when people make something symmetrical or forced and structured with trees, but I can really imagine them trees being planted for that specific purpose. Then interiors are just meh, nothing special, nothing to critique really. But they do the job. I definitely think you're mapping's improved greatly from the first time you posted here.

@Zero2505

I think it's perfect just as it is.

@Luiishu535

Are these parallaxed? I love the shape of the rooms, by God does it make me want to vomit out my eyes when people do these HUGE interiors and it's like, umm, how about you not do that? They're the perfect size.

@Tokh

Apart from a book on the bottom right table hanging half way off of it, I think the map's pretty flawless.

Luiishu535 likes this.
  12. TimmyTheNerd

First Language:
    English
    @SamGreen The circle of trees is very intentional. I actually need to post the minor change I made to the Academy exterior. The minor changes include replacing some of the flower bushes with other items, such as adding two benches near the well.

13. Tokh

First Language:
    Russian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Luiishu535 I like the style and atmosphere of your maps. These darkened rooms with lit candles look really great! The  spa room, however, seems too small to me.

@Zero2505 trees look whitened and sharp near this smooth road. I usually notice in real life leaves seem darker than grass. Other than that the cliff is pretty cool!

Anyway, I updated the house according to your suggestions. I still haven`t downloaded any additional tiles so I tried to change it with what I had in XP tilesets. Also there`s the town itself, could not think of a better way how to screenshoot it, XP has this crazy layers system and event tab is filled with squares... So I got both the editor view and ingame views from different angles.

This is an upgraded house

House.png

This is town`s/village`s map

Town.png

Here is how the house with discussed interior looks outside

Town1.png

The Inn building is like a "room for every guest" hostel

Town2.png

The upper cliff area

Town3.png

Animal yard and a storage next to it

Town4.png

Hidden cemetery. The path in hidden behind a tree and if a player walks straight forward past the river he won`t see it.

You can`t see it from the house to the right, too, but the chest is visible there.

Town5.png

14. SamGreen

SamGreen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @TimmyTheNerd

Not to be rude, but I really don't think you need to post the tiny changes, I know it's nice to show off your maps and whatnot, but you might get to a point where no one comments on them because there's no point. Major changes are good though, I love how you completely re-do a map every couple hours it seems haha, love the dedication

@Tokh

That room for every guest hostel thingy, I really like it, there's such a variation in the types of windows but it totally works. All in all, very nice maps!

Tokh likes this.
  15. Luiishu535

Luiishu535 Coffee Machine Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Zero2505 Thanks! I'm trying to keep things a bit more consistent when it comes to interiors, since they are man-made (most of the time).

@SamGreen Nope, it's all editor, baby, and thanks!

@Tokh Thanks! I wanted to go for a size similar to a sauna, so that's why it's so small. The church is not also that huge, so I'm trying to have the interior match up with the exterior to some extent.

That looks a LOT better, Tokh! The XP RTP doesn't look too bad to be honest. I actually like it a lot. Since I'm from the VX era, XP and older engines/RTP look pretty fresh to me. I really like your town layout too. The broken fence is a nice touch, but I think it's a tad too close to the river at the moment. Keep up the good work though!

SamGreen and Tokh like this.
  16. No1434

No1434 Villager Member

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Hello everyone, i need some opinion about my game screenshot.
    It's a well-stock shack in a middle of a desert.

I really need some opinion about this screenshot. Somehow for me it looks a bit.. Idk wierd ? or it's just me ? 

Shack1.png

Karlski, Penguin and Kenen like this.
  17. Noctis

Noctis Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    @Luiishu535 small rooms but absolutely beautiful :)

Anyway, here's a little room for the royal family in my city.

!Lucius'-Room.png

Name, c0sa, The Art of Gaming and 9 others like this.
  18. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @No1434 I think the main thing is that you have used the ceiling tile to completely fill in all the space exterior to the shack instead of using it to outline the shape of it.  No shack is going to have that amount of extra roofing serving no purpose.  

By using the same tile on top of the grandfather clock, it makes it look like the clock is also a pillar (I haven't expressed that clearly, sorry).  It should have a normal top because it would not be built into the structure like that.

No chair or stool for anyone to sit down on.  That must be hard on the inhabitants!

Where is your lighting coming from?  You appear to have no windows or lamps, yet there are obviously pools of light.

19. BCj

BCj Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Something went boom and then everything died

[​IMG]

20. TimmyTheNerd

First Language:
    English
    @SamGreen When someone suggests something and it sounds like a good idea, yes. I will redo the map.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.