Game & Map Screenshots 8

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, May 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mako Star

Mako Star Ex-Crisis Avenger Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Lots of really good maps on this thread. Happy to see this community thriving!

This is a space vessel I mapped out yesterday. It's for my current main project. It's set in a universe I constructed a while back on pen and paper for a tabletop RP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like the overall layout of the map alot. I think it could use some more foliage, though, to fill in some of the emptiness. I also think the houses could use more windows as a whole.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
    Zero2505 likes this.
  2. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Zero2505:

One thing bothers me. Maybe I'm just nitpicky, but seeing your full map, I'm wondering why would someone bother to build a bridge on top of a rocky formation when it could have been more easily done just a few meters away on flat terrain?

You have to walk up, walk down, and again, when you could just walk straight.

I agree it's prettier, but it doesn't feel logical.

3. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Mako Star, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules.  I've merged your posts. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

@ksjp17  Fog and snow happens.  It's actually slightly more common to see fog when it's snowy than when it's not around here.

Zero2505 likes this.
  4. Euphony

Euphony Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

Hmmm maybe the river regularly floods over (from melting snow perhaps?) so the bridge was built high to keep it safe and dry. The waterline looks like it's almost level with the surrounding ground, so a bridge might look awkward there. Unless he switched out the suspension bridge style for flat planks.

Anyway, the tint on the map is great! Perfectly cold and wintry. People tend to overdo it with screen effects, but this looks just right. With the tint and falling snow, adding fog on top of that might be too much. I'd keep it subtle--really low opacity.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2016
    Zero2505 likes this.
  5. Heretic86

Heretic86 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Engrish
    [​IMG]

(Animated, give it a moment...)

NOTE: Gif has a bit of a stutter where I clicked stop recording.  It does not appear like this in game.

I know the above screenshot is very dark and lacks a ton of detail.  I posted it to show off functionality of a Script.

The screenshot is showing off how Dynamic Lights all sources interact with each other.  The visual style here will most likely never be used in a game, but the way that each Lightsource renders correctly, even when overlapping or resized.  Barely noticeable is the Snow that is falling is only visible when illuminated.  

I suppose if you were working on a Sci Fi game, these Red Lightsources could be used as a "Self Destruct" sequence.

Prototype Demo for XP is available here:

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/64723-heretics-dynamic-lighting-xp-prototype-demo/

Oddly, I dont think anyone has even tried it yet...

6. padr81

padr81 Guy whose game is taking too long. Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Four new ones. Title screen will probably change but as will maps depending on feedback.

Battle View, Message View and the inside and outside of an inn.

BattleView.png

The default battle view,   Gauge colors are subject to change as is anything else you guys can advise me on.  Each weapon has its own skills and default attack which are being done with Yanflys Action Sequences.  Character weapons change depending on whats equipped.
    MessageView.png

The default message view.  box auto sizes depending on message length.
    OutsideInnSS.png

InsideInnSS.png

c0sa and Slimsy Platypus like this.
  7. Niten Ichi Ryu

Niten Ichi Ryu Grey Lords Emissary Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @padr81

I think the font is a bit odd. I get it that you want to go for a medieval feeling, but this font is too straight and medieval bookish like, specially with small fonts size. It would be ok for title screen, but for menus and dialogs, a bit hard to the eye. It could be good to use something a bit more rounded.

I'm using this font, I quit like it so far, maybe give it a try

http://www.fontspace.com/dieter-steffmann/devinne-swash

Also, for the battle back, I would not use the RTP ones, maybe make a background map with PV tiles, and screenshot it, of build it in GIMP. 

in the interior map,I wouldnt put a painting behind a lantern.

Slimsy Platypus likes this.
  8. padr81

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Niten Ichi Ryu Thanks for checking them out.  The battle backs will all be changed at some stage just will take awhile before they are ready.  I'll definately go that way.  My main issue was the size of the battle compared to menu in widescreen.  

The font I'm hoping to use only in the name box of messages, soon as I get a handle on the Yanfly message core it'll be two different fonts One for names and one for text if that makes sense.  That font you are using looks really nice.  I might give it a try.

9. Niten Ichi Ryu

Niten Ichi Ryu Grey Lords Emissary Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

For the battle screen, maybe the battle log window is a little too big. What resolution you're using?

10. padr81

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    1024 x 576 

11. Slimsy Platypus

Slimsy Platypus Veteran Veteran

@padr81 I would definitely change out those battlebacks (or at least that specific one).  The way you have sized your character and formatted your battle UI squeeze your units right next to those tree roots... which are about the size of a human.  If you like that battleback you might be able to manipulate it down a bit, but right now there are some serious perspective issues (shrubbery/grass the size of humans).  I think the menu size is fine, it looks different, but not bad IMO.  I would definitely change that font though.  It's just not readable.  Looks really cool though!  Great work!

Anywho...

I've been working (for what seems like forever) on my "shop" where you can "purchase" additional characters.  It's definitely not what I originally envisioned or mocked up (tons of revisions), but it now is finally close to fully functioning (*phew* ;) ).  As always, feedback is encouraged!

[​IMG]

12. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    I've been doing a stream collab game (50 hour game making challenge - all work done on stream, 50 hours in which to make the game) and I figured I'd show off a few of the maps we've made so far. Each of these are from the completed dungeons (we have one more dungeon to map and are halfway through the 50 hours).

The Tunnel of Love Waterfalls

[​IMG]

The Floating Forest

[​IMG]

The Space Hospital

[​IMG]

13. Zero2505

Zero2505 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thank you everyone for the wonderful feedback. I was going to answer the questions about the fog and the bridge, but Sharm, and Euphony already give perfect answers to both questions, so not much of a need for me to answer them now. :D

@2FaStThe pipes look so much better now then before, you really capture the ff7 feel perfect with that map.

@hydro_sapien I agree with Mako Star about the foliage, as for the screen shot their are many plugins that can do that for you. I used Orange mapshot myself to capture the map so I can edit it in photoshop, but would work for screen shots just fine too.

@Slimsy Platypus That looks great! Is this going to be like a tactics type game? Only thing I would recommend is maybe changing the black background to something else, but other then that it looks fantastic. :D

Euphony and SoSick. like this.
  14. darklcb

darklcb Warper Member

First Language:
    English.
    I try chance a litte bit my city..i think is a good size for a medium-sized city.

This week I try to do some dugeons , but to be honest , I really do not like the results , it seems a little empty , Any Suggestion ?

I think a bit about map world,not for using in game but for hel me in organization maps and events in the game,what you guys..think about it?(Not Completed). OBS: The red squares show where the maps are .

15. Heretic86

Heretic86 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Engrish
    @darklcb its the cave walls I think you dont like.  Make them look more eroded and chaotic instead of carved out by man.  Instead of having flat walls there, put in "cracks" and what not, places where the Player cant walk, but are visually interesting.  Put two walls facing each other to create a "crack".

16. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @darklcb Another reason why it looks artifical is that the walls form a basic square.  I would make it much more irregular in shape.  Don't be afraid to have bits jutting out and other bits going right to the edge.  Especially make the bottom and right walls more irregular.

17. padr81

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @darklcb As said already its too square, the bottom wall in particular.  Have it less symmetrical.

Battle screen with a couple of tweaks suggested here.

BattleView.png

Mako Star likes this.
  18. darklcb

darklcb Warper Member

First Language:
    English.
    @Heretic86 I make some chances in walls..what you think about it?

@ksjp17Exacty,i try make some chances in the walls and in the "square".

@padr81Yes,the walls make a really "square" sense..i try make then morre irregular and bigger..what you think about?

padr81 likes this.
  19. kaine

kaine Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Public bathrooms wip

[​IMG]

SoSick. and RocketKnight like this.
  20. padr81

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @darklcb  Thats better but still looks kinda square.   I would say try not to have any straight walls over 2-3 tiles in a row without changing.

I'm not an expert mapper at all but I usually do natural things much more all over the place. See the spoiler for an idea of what I'm on about, I don't have the tileset your using but here's a quick outline of a simular shaped map and even this might be a bit too square.

Map005.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.