Game & Map Screenshots 8

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, May 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Banquo

Banquo scoundrel Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Nirwanda

It's takes some time, but why not use the round dirt-tiles from the A5 sheets? They could make the paths look more organic.

Maybe push the tower of the temple 1 tile further down, giving the building a T-shaped ground plot.

Overall there could be more high grass, especially around the corners of the map, indicating that the wilderness begins there.

At the house at the middle bottom, the high grass could use some shift-mapping in order to make it look like it continues behind the roof.

Here's a map of the game I'm working on at the moment (a more serious project that I want to pull through).

Things I want to add later on are different doors, a truck and some billboards for the company that owns the premises. And of course proper shadows and lighting.

[​IMG]

Any thoughts?

RocketKnight, BCj, cekobico and 4 others like this.
  2. Nirwanda

Nirwanda Procrastimancer Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @BanquoWell, I'm working under a time limit for the iiaw contest and I've never used the tiles before, that's why I didn't experiment with the rounded paths. Maybe if I have the spare time....

Ironically because of how I ended up mapping the interior, I made the exact opposite of what you suggested to the "temple" (it's actually the mage's guild...though magic has a religious connotation in the game world)Though I think I might need to move the tower one tile lower.

[​IMG]

I'll take your other advice. Thank you!

I can't really comment much on your map. It looks great: plain and simple. Very professional. The only thing that strikes me as odd is that there are two streetlights in the upper sidewalk, while three on the lower one. Since they're lined up it gives the feeling that there should be a third one in the upper one as well.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2016
    Banquo likes this.
  3. kovak

kovak Silverguard Veteran

First Language:
    PT - EN
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My progress today was awful + gun wings of freedom on the wall.
    I'm glad a friend of mine is making most of the maps cuz i suck.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2016
  4. Euphony

Euphony Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @kovak How dare you not capitalize Our Lord's name! (∩╹□╹∩)

In all seriousness, I would consider condensing the width of your map. The player only needs to walk from the door to the weapons counter, so there isn't much reason to have those big empty spaces on the left and right sides. When I'm mapping, it helps me to first visualize where the player should be walking, then use decorations/obstacles to build a path around that.

Also maybe it would help if you used a smaller window resolution. I don't use MV so I don't know if that's the default resolution, but it seems really wide considering the size of the sprites.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2016
  5. kovak

kovak Silverguard Veteran

First Language:
    PT - EN
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thx @Euphony
    The default resoltion is 816 x 624, mine is 1280 x 720
    The HUD looks better in 720p.

6. KanaX

KanaX Just being a mouse Veteran

First Language:
    Broken English.
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2016
  7. Little Adventurer

Little Adventurer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Oh, what a nice little street corner! :D

8. Spy

Spy Spy Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Screenshot of my project Forestia :

plop.PNG

Karlski, alennor, Idril and 24 others like this.
  9. Vexed

Vexed Malibu Darby Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Spy That looks really great. I'm not typically a fan of photoshop blended grass but that, I like. The HUD looks really cool too.

[​IMG]

Come on down to slasher forest, for all your spoopy summer camp fun! Wish you were here~

alennor, Idril, DrawOrDrop and 15 others like this.
  10. kaipi

kaipi Villager Member

First Language:
    german
    @Spy Wow nice screenshot!

[​IMG]
    Trying out the new Asteria desert tiles...

11. JackCL

JackCL Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian

I like new trees style! :)  The leaves and all. But the slopes are much more purple colour than previous POP! tilesets :(

RocketKnight likes this.
  12. cekobico

cekobico Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    God bless Galv's Bust Menu, AtreyoRay's Command Icons, Yanfly's Menu Manager, and MOG's Menu Background; working together at peace. 

And I'm aware of how FFXIII-esque this looks which not may be everyone's cup of tea xD I guess the 3D bust portrait helped pull off that look (I'm more of a 3D artist than an 2D illustrator, sadly)

[​IMG]

Sad thing JahwsUF are no longer working on his status screen. I had to went inside the js, and work on how to put HP/MP/TP bar on status screen with portrait. After 3 days messing around the codes, I think I got it. I still don't know what to put in the bottom blank space...and not sure how to mess there either x__x

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2016
    Black Mamba, Name, luzi and 5 others like this.
  13. Crazy_Leen

Crazy_Leen Secretly a Teddybear ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Woah! That looks really cool cekobico!

As for the blank space... I dunno, maybe the faces of the player's teammates to quickly switch between characters? Just throwing in ideas :'D

As for me... I recently felt the urge to try mapping again. Was jsut difficult with all the stress recently and only having time on the weekends to do much really.

But I wanted to play around with (Paralax)Mapping again.

So... just something forest-y and simple:
    [​IMG]
    And without Lightmap (and events):

[​IMG]

RocketKnight, luzi and Euphony like this.
  14. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    Beautiful, those trees look much better with that palette. I used to palette swap RMXP trees quite a bit, you can get quite a lot of variety from it. The grass looks great with all the little details too.

That's something I'm struggling with, grass detailing.

Here's my progress on a large parallax map so far. It's not much, just two tiny parts of it and these are unfinished and need stuff around them too.

[​IMG]

Events will add life of course.

Edit: an improvement, I think.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2016
    RocketKnight, luzi, c0sa and 5 others like this.
  15. Niten Ichi Ryu

Niten Ichi Ryu Grey Lords Emissary Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So, I have been practicing my GIMP Fu since last time I put a map on display here, and I think I got a little better.

That's an Overland map, rather big 2560x1440, so It will translate into a 54*30 map in MV, and it's a 4.4mb parallax.

There will be no travel on the map, but I will use a clickable events plugins, and locations icons will appear as game progress, like in DA Origins.

need to add name to most areas, and work on the icons, not sure black and white is ok, and need the find the right level of height for the emboss.

[​IMG]

16. Euphony

Euphony Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Vexed Yay more vextastic pixels! Definitely puts me in mind of a Friday the 13th style slasher flick. I bet some camp counselors are boinking in that cabin, about to get impaled on a machete.

@kaipi I see a few errors in the two cliff formations.They're a bit hard to notice at first, so I've circled them here:

[​IMG]

Otherwise the map looks pretty nice, if a bit plain. Maybe add some more vegetation leading up to the oasis? I imagine some happy little cacti would like to live near that water~

@Crazy_Leen Looks nice! Is the grass supposed to be pretty high? If so, I'd suggest having it peek up over the roots of the trees, the bottom of the statue, etc. A dirt path would be a nice addition too, unless the area hasn't been touched by anyone in a long time.

@Niten Ichi Ryu Nice, a Dragon Age style world map sounds cool. I always liked seeing everything laid out in front of me like that, especially in the Dragon Age world where it was helpful to see where all the locations were in relation to each other. My only gripe is that the ocean looks a bit more like fog than water--I think the plain blue you used for the lakes/ponds looks better honestly. Also in regards to the text issue, maybe try white text with a dark outline?

RocketKnight and Vexed like this.
  17. kaipi

kaipi Villager Member

First Language:
    german
    @Euphony I didn't notice the errors. thx for the feedback. :)

@cekobico your art looks really good. I like it.

18. VanillaBrocker

VanillaBrocker Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    @Spy

Loved it! Nice composition! About your previous screenshot, with an wide shot of a forrest, I think that the HUD is great! I just don't like the excess about Harold's visual and the tiles' visual.

@Henryetha

Really liked it! I'm not a big fan of oversymmetry, but your map is very comfy. Does the clouds' shadows move?

@Pyromantic

I've already told you, but I love the art style you're using. I haven't tried parallax + looping mapping, but since every map in my game is parallax (less than five, actually), I'm afraid to try, now. Haha!

@Amy Pond

I really like what you're doing and the way you're doing. You're using a simple and near-minimal design, but being very effective when showing info.

So, I want to share with you all some screens of my project. I'm putting tons of effort on it and there's a bunch of people helping me and being patience about my (many) questions. I'm very grateful to them and to all of you that post those awesome screenshots that inspire a lot of people like me to keep deving. Thanks!  :D

The Battle Scene. I'm trying to keep it simple and visually attractive. One of my main difficulties is making animations. I want to follow the cartoony visual style, so I'm making most of them frame by frame. I'm studying a lot of sound effects producing, too, so I'll have some fun noises for them, hopefully!  :)

[​IMG]

There are some beasts to be haunted, in this world. Here's Goon. He thinks he's bad, but he's just a rascal. 

[​IMG]

This big tree (not finished yet) is the home of some of these monkey-like creatures.

[​IMG]

This cold village (unfinished too) is a cool place to visit. Remember to visit the blacksmith at southwest, maybe she can forge something special for you!

[​IMG]

19. GotMop

GotMop Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Really nice touch on this one 

20. Spy

Spy Spy Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Just wow !